GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Whine or Whining noises

Old 02-13-13, 04:44 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sv1669
Even more annoying is the noise from second row seats. Anyone else noticed that?
Our second row seats also squeaked, but not all the time.

I finally correlated it to the position of the fold-down armrest. I would push the arm rest up at the car wash ... one less thing for them to lean on ... and the seat would start squeaking. Eventually, we would fold down the arm rest for rear seat passengers ... and the squeaking would stop ... until it went through the car wash again!

Needless to say, the arm rest is down at all times now, except at the car wash.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. I suspect a leather treatment would solve the problem as well, but my solution was easier ... and free.
Old 02-14-13, 04:43 AM
emaratee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whimmels
New 2012 GX 460 in 01/2012. While GX is coasting between 55 mph and 70 mph, noticeable "whine" from vehicle.
My 2012 with less than 2500 miles does the quoted above ... at 1st service the dealer checked it and said everything normal .. it's kind of normal for truck to do .. even though not this soon .. will keep any eye on it and see if it gets worse.
Old 02-14-13, 04:45 AM
emaratee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sv1669
Even more annoying is the noise from second row seats. Anyone else noticed that?
Do you mean the rattling noise .. if thats the one I suspect it coming from the rear right passenger seat belt .. mine does the same I will get it check on next due service.
Old 02-14-13, 12:26 PM
SharpSpurs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2011 does have the same noise as SaniDel stated. It is the 2nd row armrest. When stored in its uptight position.....tick.tick.tick.....when down nothing.

Mike
Old 02-14-13, 12:56 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by emaratee
My 2012 with less than 2500 miles does the quoted above ... at 1st service the dealer checked it and said everything normal .. it's kind of normal for truck to do .. even though not this soon .. will keep any eye on it and see if it gets worse.
I sympathize with your predicament as I have been there. We've owned 10 'Lexi' and a few of them have squeaked enough to require intervention by the dealership. Some of our Lexi never squeaked ... our LS 430 was as quiet as a tomb.

However, some of our LX and in particular our GX are also quiet. May I suggest that you politely 'decline' the argument that "all trucks squeak"? If our early-production (November 2009) GX460 with over 30 thousand miles doesn't squeak, then Lexus can build trucks that don't squeak. The challenge is for your dealership to find and fix whatever is squeaking in your truck.

If your dealership is as good as ours, they will examine your GX until they have heard, isolated and solved the source of the squeak. If necessary, you should take them for a ride ... no pun intended ... until everyone in the vehicle hears and agrees there is a squeak. If they deny the squeak ... or worse, refuse the ride ... you'll need a new dealer!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 02-14-13, 06:57 PM
sv1669
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by emaratee
Do you mean the rattling noise .. if thats the one I suspect it coming from the rear right passenger seat belt .. mine does the same I will get it check on next due service.
exactly, yes. Please let us know what the say at dealership about this problem.
Old 02-16-13, 12:58 AM
emaratee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SaniDel
If they deny the squeak ... or worse, refuse the ride ... you'll need a new dealer!
Regards,

SaniDel
SaniDell ... I wish it was that easy !! ... monopoly my friend is the name of the game in this part of the world .. we've got one single dealer in U.A.E ..
Old 03-03-13, 10:46 AM
Teddyofind
Driver School Candidate

Default High pitch sound when cruising above 70 mph

My 2013 GX makes this noise when I step on the gas padel when the speed is 70 mph or higher. It is not very loud but noticeable, even with the radio on. I noticed this these past two days on highway. There is no such sound during local drive or speed below 70. It sounds like it came from the engine compartment, but I am not 100% sure. Is this normal? Could it be from the wheels or chassis? My truck only got 1800 miles after 2 months driving.
Old 03-03-13, 12:19 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

You're already driving at 70 MPH ... and accelerating, right? Are you really surprised to hear more engine noise in that situation? That's the "sound of power" ... you have to temporarily increase engine output to accelerate, but it should decrease when you are at a higher constant speed ... and decrease further as you slow.

Here's an experiment. Use your cruise control so the GX tries to hold a constant speed regardless of load and take a road trip with plenty of upgrades and downgrades. That should be easy in Pennsylvania, especially as you head west. Turn off the radio and listen to your engine ... it should be loudest going uphill, less on level ground and even less going downhill.

If you have the transmission in 'D' it will try to keep in top (6th) gear, but it will unlock the torque converter and eventually downshift if it can't maintain speed. Driving the Pennsylvania Turnpike on cruise control will demonstrate this.

What octane are you burning? Could it be you are hearing the engine nocking on too low an octane? We've had many discussions about gasoline, but if you burn premium and especially from a "Top Tier" retailer you shouldn't hear knocking.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Regards,

SaniDel
Old 03-03-13, 02:20 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Is this noise new? Take it to the Stealer, let them take a look. If they say it's normal, ask for a ride in a demo model.

Koz
Old 03-04-13, 11:33 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Don't know if you have cross bars on the roof? My QX4 had whistle noise on the highway and it was from
the bars on the roof. I don't have cross bars on my GX 460 and I don't have any noise at any speed.

Last edited by Craig B; 03-05-13 at 04:44 AM.
Old 03-04-13, 11:50 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
Don't know if you have cross bars on the roof? My QX4 whistle noise on the highway and it was from
the bars on the roof. I don't have cross bars on my GX 460 and I don't have any noise at any speed.
Good Point, My Tahoe did the same until I took them off, my friends Pacifica does it too, drive me nuts.
Old 03-05-13, 06:28 PM
Teddyofind
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SaniDel
You're already driving at 70 MPH ... and accelerating, right? Are you really surprised to hear more engine noise in that situation? That's the "sound of power" ... you have to temporarily increase engine output to accelerate, but it should decrease when you are at a higher constant speed ... and decrease further as you slow.

Here's an experiment. Use your cruise control so the GX tries to hold a constant speed regardless of load and take a road trip with plenty of upgrades and downgrades. That should be easy in Pennsylvania, especially as you head west. Turn off the radio and listen to your engine ... it should be loudest going uphill, less on level ground and even less going downhill.

If you have the transmission in 'D' it will try to keep in top (6th) gear, but it will unlock the torque converter and eventually downshift if it can't maintain speed. Driving the Pennsylvania Turnpike on cruise control will demonstrate this.

What octane are you burning? Could it be you are hearing the engine nocking on too low an octane? We've had many discussions about gasoline, but if you burn premium and especially from a "Top Tier" retailer you shouldn't hear knocking.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Regards,

SaniDel
The noise is there when I step on the gas panel and when speed is above 70mph, no mAtter I keep constant speed or accelerate. I tried this morning and it is suprising that when the speed is above 80, the noise is gone or nearly unnoticeable.

Yes, I mostly filled up with Sunoco 93 octane gas. So it is safe to say it is not the gas that is causing it. I will try the cruise control method sometime when I got a chance.
Old 03-05-13, 06:38 PM
Teddyofind
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Craig B
Don't know if you have cross bars on the roof? My QX4 had whistle noise on the highway and it was from
No I don't have crossbar on the roof.
Old 05-06-13, 05:11 PM
stuhrw
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Whine Update

Well, I replaced the AT tires with some nice quiet Michelin Latitudes.....MUCH quieter ride but the drive train "whine" is still there. It's been about 20K since my prior post and the noise has not changed at all, and is very intermittent. Sometimes its more pronounced, other times you can't even tell. But, its still there and I'm happy to report no change. Based on that, I would venture to say this is normal. I will be putting it to the test at the end of the month with a trip up north (1000 miles) and will be towing a heavy uhaul trailer. If the noise doesn't change or is unaffected after the trip, I will definitely not be concerned about it in the future.

Now I don't have any rear seat squeak, but I have developed a driver's seat "pop" while turning. Not sure what that's all about. If I turn sharp, it almost feels like the seat slight shifts and it makes a little clunk sound. If I change the position of the seat, it stops. Just so happens the clunk is right in the position where I need the seat to be comfortable. Anyone have this issue???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whine or Whining noises