GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

LT Tires on GX460

Old 10-13-12, 07:14 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick update, extremely happy with the LTXs. Actually got a bad tire but once we got it and road force balance sorted out, GX rides great.

Service director at my Lexus dealership took the GX out for a spin and liked the ride so much, they're going to start stocking LTXs.

Haven't had these in snow yet, but given the tread and siping, I may not drop on blizzaks this season. Colorado doesn't get bitterly cold like MN for example, so I don't think the softer compound on the blizzak will have much benefit and if they are lacking traction, it's probably time to toss on some chains anyway.
Old 10-15-12, 07:23 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
Is anyone running LT tires on their GX? If so, which brand and size?

I'm starting to get ready for a cross country trip for early next year (will be towing a travel trailer). I plan on replacing my tires with the Michelin LTX M/S2 (275/65/18 - E rated LTs). I also plan on upgrading the brake pads and rotors.

The trailer I'm towing has somewhat weak brakes and depends on the tow vehicle's brakes to help more then the average trailer. I will be traveling through mountainous areas and need/want to upgrade the brakes. Has anyone upgraded their brakes? Again, if so, any recommendations would be appreciated!

Koz
Just ordered the tires (LTX MS2 - LT275/65/18 with $70 rebate). I already have the brakes and rotors. I will post pics and review of the upgrades. I went with the dimpled/slotted rotor (cost a little over $500).

Koz
Old 10-15-12, 08:09 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Koz
Just ordered the tires (LTX MS2 - LT275/65/18 with $70 rebate). I already have the brakes and rotors. I will post pics and review of the upgrades. I went with the dimpled/slotted rotor (cost a little over $500).

Koz
Nice, what did you go with for brakes? Since there's no BBK out, figure pads and rotors are the other upgrade I'd like to do.
Old 10-16-12, 07:06 AM
Koz

I went with these and premium pads.

http://brakeperformance.com/brake-ro...ake-Rotors.php

Koz
Attached Thumbnails LT Tires on GX460-rotors.jpg  

Last edited by Koz; 10-16-12 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-16-12, 02:54 PM
SharpSpurs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Koz
Why did you find it necessary to go with this setup? While my brakes are soft feeling, will your option corrct the squissy bakes?

Mike
Old 10-16-12, 04:39 PM
khiroshima
Rookie

Originally Posted by SharpSpurs
Koz
Why did you find it necessary to go with this setup? While my brakes are soft feeling, will your option corrct the squissy bakes?

Mike
Interested . . . I am not at all impressed with the brake feel on the GX; that said however, I needed to make an emergency stop today and I was quite surprised at how well they stopped the truck. So I guess I should clarify that while I don't love the squishy feel, they are apparently adequate when they *need* to be. KH
Old 10-16-12, 04:47 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Koz

Mike
"Squishy" brakes will not become "unsquishy" by changing the brakes and rotors. It's probably the master cylinder, etc as it was designed from Toyota.

One of the few things I miss from my X5 was the excellent braking. The X5 had massive rotors. That being said, it's one of the only things I miss from the X5. The reliability of the GX trumps the X5.
Old 10-16-12, 04:49 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by khiroshima
Interested . . . I am not at all impressed with the brake feel on the GX; that said however, I needed to make an emergency stop today and I was quite surprised at how well they stopped the truck. So I guess I should clarify that while I don't love the squishy feel, they are apparently adequate when they *need* to be. KH
I feel the same way as you about the GX brakes.

During normal use they are "soft and squishy" and a little bit weak, i.e., I feel I have to push hard to bring the truck to a stop. It reminds me of earlier discussions in this forum about having to keep heavy foot pressure on the brake pedal at a red light to keep the GX from creeping.

However, in an emergency when you instinctively push very hard and very quickly on the brake pedal, it's a different story. It is quite easy under those conditions to lock the wheels, which activates the anti-locks and… if you are not careful or not lucky… to flat spot the tires!

Fortunately for the squirrels in our neighborhood… the GX can stop quickly. ;-)
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 10-16-12, 06:56 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Everyone should give TRD a call and push for a BBK and 4.6L supercharger. Both have applications outside the GX (4Runner, FJ, Tundra for BBK and Tundra for supercharger).

You can contact the TRD Sport Parts Technical Assistance/Customer Service Department at 800-688-5912
Old 10-17-12, 06:19 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The brakes suck on my GS in comparison to my 2009 Tahoe, while the Tahoe didn't stop great due to it's size it did stop better than the GX.
Old 10-17-12, 08:20 AM
Koz

Koz

Mike
The OEM brakes were more then enough under normal conditions, even with the long pedal travel. On my last trip to Hilton Head SC (pulling my travel trailer) I had the brake controller set to low (low trailer braking) and must have overheated/damaged the OEM rotors/pads. I now get a pulse when braking extremely hard. I replaced the rear rotors on my IS due to no pre-warning squeal on the worn pads and boogered the rotors (just a little). I will not cut rotors so I replaced them with these and it made a HUGE difference in the braking feel and performance (night and day.) I also will be putting on LT tires (that weight 15 lbs. more per tire.) That is a lot of extra rotating mass in the wrong place.

Koz
Old 10-17-12, 11:13 AM
khiroshima
Rookie

Originally Posted by SaniDel
I feel the same way as you about the GX brakes.

It reminds me of earlier discussions in this forum about having to keep heavy foot pressure on the brake pedal at a red light to keep the GX from creeping.

Fortunately for the squirrels in our neighborhood… the GX can stop quickly. ;-)
I just tell myself that the GX has so much torque, I need to press the brake harder at stop lights, HaHa

As for the squirrels, I have a truck now . . . I'm not even going to swerve anymore
Old 10-17-12, 04:36 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
The OEM brakes were more then enough under normal conditions, even with the long pedal travel. On my last trip to Hilton Head SC (pulling my travel trailer) I had the brake controller set to low (low trailer braking) and must have overheated/damaged the OEM rotors/pads. I now get a pulse when braking extremely hard. I replaced the rear rotors on my IS due to no pre-warning squeal on the worn pads and boogered the rotors (just a little). I will not cut rotors so I replaced them with these and it made a HUGE difference in the braking feel and performance (night and day.) I also will be putting on LT tires (that weight 15 lbs. more per tire.) That is a lot of extra rotating mass in the wrong place.

Koz
the pulse means your rotors/pads are worn unevenly or warped
Old 10-18-12, 05:11 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by T4Fun
the pulse means your rotors/pads are worn unevenly or warped
Usually when there is a warped rotor you will get a pulse anytime you apply the brakes. I only get the pulse under hard braking (when the pads get heated). This usually means the pads overheated and are glazed. I will know for sure when I look at the pads. If the pads are not resurfaced or changed the rotors will soon warp. I'm planning a cross country trip for next spring and I do not what to worry about steep mountain descents. One of my stops is Pikes Peak and good brakes are a MUST! The last time I was there I bought a t-shirt that read "Real Men Don't Need Guardrails".

Koz
Old 10-22-12, 10:42 AM
Koz

I had the new 275/65/18 LTX MS2 installed and I'm totally satisfied with the look, fit and performance. I took a 100mile trip (mostly highway) and put them through as much hard riding as I could and they are night and day compared to the OEM HPs. I'm running them at 55 psi and they are so smooth and do everything better then the OEMs. They even take the expansion joints better. The LTs are basically 32" and I had no problems with rubbing and the wheel alignment was perfect. Check out how nice they fill the wheel wells. GREAT riding tire!
Attached Thumbnails LT Tires on GX460-both.jpg   LT Tires on GX460-front.jpg   LT Tires on GX460-rear.jpg   LT Tires on GX460-side.jpg  

Last edited by Koz; 10-22-12 at 10:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bbqsoup (01-03-18)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT Tires on GX460