GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

LT Tires on GX460

Old 11-26-14, 11:43 AM
hrod79
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Put some BFG KO2's LT275/65r18 on the GX this week. Love the look.
Name:  IMAG1424.jpg
Views: 12089
Size:  44.4 KB
Name:  IMAG1423.jpg
Views: 12715
Size:  48.8 KB
Name:  IMAG1420.jpg
Views: 8985
Size:  38.6 KB
The following 3 users liked this post by hrod79:
Craigyyy (04-08-18), ferliz (02-26-20), JustinFro (08-18-21)
Old 11-26-14, 01:14 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It's an interesting look for sure.
Old 11-26-14, 04:48 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this looks great! How does it behave on a highway considering a very agressive tread? Also these tires are a ton heavier than OEMs at 56 lbs vs 35 lbs which is quite a big addition to unsprung weight.
Old 11-26-14, 06:55 PM
hrod79
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Quadro
I think this looks great! How does it behave on a highway considering a very agressive tread? Also these tires are a ton heavier than OEMs at 56 lbs vs 35 lbs which is quite a big addition to unsprung weight.
So they are great, Put them on and drove 300 miles for Thanksgiving holiday same day. BFG's, even these, are super quiet. I have Duratrac's on my 4runner, and nowhere near the hum i get from those. 75-80MPH was super smooth. I currently have them aired up to 45psi. Wanted to have them stiff for trip (less rolling resistance) got 18.5mpg on trip. might go down to 40psi for trip back to see if they don't feel so stiff. I keep my duratrac's at 40psi and like it there.
Old 11-28-14, 06:56 AM
jaleels
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default My experience with larger tires size.

Do you experience any rubbing of the front tires when you were turning? I also wanted to know if you are able to mount the spare tire under the vehicle with that tire size? I purchased Michelin LTX MS2 275/65/18 and the front tires do rub when I lock the steering wheel on an uneven surface. I am not able to mount the spare tire under the vehicle with this tire size also. I am happy with the ride and performance of the Michelin's otherwise.

Last edited by jaleels; 11-28-14 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-28-14, 08:21 AM
hrod79
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jaleels
Do you experience any rubbing of the front tires when you were turning? I also wanted to know if you are able to mount the spare tire under the vehicle with that tire size? I purchased Michelin LTX MS2 275/65/18 and the front tires do rub when I lock the steering wheel on an uneven surface. I am not able to mount the spare tire under the vehicle with this tire size also. I am happy with the ride and performance of the Michelin's otherwise.
I do rub but not at full lock. At full lock I have no problems. Drove on the beach this week and had no trouble on the uneven terrain. Maybe halfway when on uneven surfaces. However I plan on making some suspension changes, and there is a small plastic piece in the wheel well I might remove.
Old 11-28-14, 09:18 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by hrod79
I do rub but not at full lock. At full lock I have no problems. Drove on the beach this week and had no trouble on the uneven terrain. Maybe halfway when on uneven surfaces. However I plan on making some suspension changes, and there is a small plastic piece in the wheel well I might remove.
There is a screw that holds the plastic inner fender well from the running board to the plastic itself, take that out and noise is gone. It still rubs slightly but no damage and no ill effects from the removal of that screw and it's been out for 11 months now.
Old 11-28-14, 07:27 PM
jaleels
Pit Crew

Removing the one screw is not going to make a difference. I can see the front wheels are rubbing on the inside of the wheel well. There are abrasions on the wheel well wall and on the upper portion of the suspension arm. The spare tire cannot fit on the underside of the vehicle also. I will have to wait for the tires to ware down so the rubbing can subside. When the tires rub on the wheel well I feel a vibration from the treads.
Old 11-29-14, 01:23 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Removing the one screw is not going to make a difference. I can see the front wheels are rubbing on the inside of the wheel well. There are abrasions on the wheel well wall and on the upper portion of the suspension arm. The spare tire cannot fit on the underside of the vehicle also. I will have to wait for the tires to ware down so the rubbing can subside. When the tires rub on the wheel well I feel a vibration from the treads.
Well your experience is different than mine, I no longer have rubbing issues as I had stated.
Old 03-14-15, 06:16 PM
Climber
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it the larger width or larger diameter that is a problem with the spare?
Old 03-15-15, 06:06 AM
jaleels
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Climber
Is it the larger width or larger diameter that is a problem with the spare?
There is a metal bracket under the vehicle that prevents a larger diameter tire from being installed.. There is not a lot of space under the GX for anything other than the stock tire. A wider tire might fit but it will lower ground clearance on the back. I kind of regret going wit the LTS MS2.
Old 03-15-15, 05:04 PM
Climber
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a metal bracket under the vehicle that prevents a larger diameter tire from being installed.. There is not a lot of space under the GX for anything other than the stock tire. A wider tire might fit but it will lower ground clearance on the back. I kind of regret going wit the LTS MS2.
Yeah, just crawled under the car and between the tow hitch and swaybar there is very little room for diameter growth.

Why are you regretting going with the LTX? Just put those on our Element.
Planning Goodyear Wrangler Adventure with Kevlar for the GX.
Old 03-16-15, 07:57 PM
jaleels
Pit Crew

The ltx tires raises the center of gravity higher on th gx. The vehicle does not need to be any higher. The higher center of gravity does not inspire confidence on the road. The ride on the tires is not that different from the original tires. I should have kept the original spare tire, there was nothing wrong with it. The tires are ok and handle curbs and off roading very well, but the rubbing is annoying.
When I changed my brakes I noticed rubbing on the interior of the wheel well. No one else has mentioned this but it happens.

Last edited by jaleels; 03-16-15 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-16-15, 09:06 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

The ltx tires raises the center of gravity higher on th gx. The vehicle does not need to be any higher. The higher center of gravity does not inspire confidence on the road. The ride on the tires is not that different from the original tires. I should have kept the original spare tire, there was nothing wrong with it. The tires are ok and handle curbs and off roading very well, but the rubbing is annoying.
When I changed my brakes I noticed rubbing on the interior of the wheel well. No one else has mentioned this but it happens.
]
you wouldnt be able to use the oem spare anyway since now you have bigger tires. tranny wont like it
Old 03-17-15, 04:29 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
you wouldnt be able to use the oem spare anyway since now you have bigger tires. tranny wont like it
The suspension would compensate for the smaller tire and I think the GX tranny is capable of handling the imbalance.

I plan on having the smallest tire available put on my spare wheel to fit inside my duel exhaust set up (I just can't seem to get around to it ).

The spare tire is obviously temporary so what is the problem with this type of set up?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT Tires on GX460