GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Map Data Version More Recent Than 09.1

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-12, 03:58 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Map Data Version More Recent Than 09.1

Our early-production (November 2009) GX 460 arrived at the dealership late that year and we took delivery in February 2010. The map data as confirmed on the navigation system display is version 09.1, but is that the current version? Has any GX 460 owner confirmed installation of a newer version of the map data?

We are planning a long road trip late this year and we are considering updating our map data, but we would appreciate hearing opinions from those who have paid for this if it is worth the cost and effort.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 07-06-12, 05:54 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm sure there is a newer version and I don't think it's worth the money for it to be updated. You would be better off buying a Garmin, it would be more up to date than any update from Lexus. I've updated the Nav in my LS 460. I got tired of the I agree screen, but other than that, I think it was a waste of money.
Old 07-07-12, 03:07 AM
SharpSpurs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2011 GX has v 10.1. It was purchased in Sept 2010. I would think there may be another update since then.

Mike
Old 07-07-12, 05:19 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

http://lexusnavigation.com/index.php

Will get you the latest version for your vehicle and what changes have been made

Garmin might be an option but something you have to remove or your car becomes a greater target for break in, something too much of a pita for me

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-07-12 at 05:22 AM.
Old 07-07-12, 04:35 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
http://lexusnavigation.com/index.php

Will get you the latest version for your vehicle and what changes have been made

Garmin might be an option but something you have to remove or your car becomes a greater target for break in, something too much of a pita for me
Excellent resource, Dave ... thanks! It looks like the GX 460 has the latest hardware (generation 6) and can be upgraded to version 11.1, part number PT219-HDDG6-11 for $169.00. We'll take care of that at our next service interval, which is just before we leave on a long road trip.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 07-08-12, 07:37 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Excellent resource, Dave ... thanks! It looks like the GX 460 has the latest hardware (generation 6) and can be upgraded to version 11.1, part number PT219-HDDG6-11 for $169.00. We'll take care of that at our next service interval, which is just before we leave on a long road trip.
Regards,

SaniDel
That price doesn't include the labor to install it...
Old 07-09-12, 10:03 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
That price doesn't include the labor to install it...
How much does the dealer typically charge for labor to install it?
Old 07-11-12, 03:00 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends where you go. One dealer quoted me $300 (including the software), and another $200.
Old 09-02-12, 06:35 AM
Doc H
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm...suspect the "labor" to install it involves downloading it onto the vehicle's HD and checking to see if it works. Kinda like the "labor" to install the latest antivirus update on my home computer.... My 2011 GX will get an update this Fall to at least add some of the substantial road construction around here locally (I think you can actually check to see what's been added regionally prior to purchase), so I'll try to remember to report back....
Old 09-02-12, 08:18 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

I've scheduled our 2010 GX 460's 3 year/30,000 mile service for November 19 for our road trip to Florida.

The service technician advised that annual updates arrive in October so I may get a version more recent than 11.1 ... presuming a newer version is released for the GX. Whatever the version the process is done online by downloading the latest version and installing in the vehicle. Other than making a connection to the vehicle by the dealership's equipment, it is a virtual rather than a physical process, i.e., nothing gets replaced other than software.

I'll be testing the software during our road trip to Sanibel from Delaware and will advise the forum.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 09-03-12, 06:05 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have seen on Sewell's website that they sell a thumb drive with the update on it that you can upload yourself. Might be worth a look.
Old 09-03-12, 11:30 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

How does it compare in price to this?

http://lexusnavigation.com/what_to_order.php

Not that I'm uninterested, but I want to update my software, not purchase a "thumb drive" ... whatever that is. My concern is that I'll spend money to buy this gadget, but then I still have to update the software. Even if I am successful, what do I do with the "thumb drive" ... or does it stay in the vehicle?

I would be much more interested in paying Lexus to update the software rather than to buy something that would allow me to update the software. It is a tradeoff of money and time ... I would prefer to spend my money to save my time, but to each his own.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 09-03-12, 12:47 PM
rockydog
Driver

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
I have seen on Sewell's website that they sell a thumb drive with the update on it that you can upload yourself. Might be worth a look.
I called and the parts guy told me you still need to bring it to the dealer for the install. I purchased the thumb drive from my local dealer (yeah, it's a regular thumb drive) and then had to have it installed. The tech told me they plug it into one of the diagnostic machines and it downloads it to the vehicle. Seem like you should only have to plug it into the usb port above the transmission shifter (behind the little sliding door) and it would work. I opted for the dealer install as I didn't want to chance bricking the system. If anyone has tried a self install, pls share. It would save an hours worth of dealer time.
Old 09-03-12, 01:03 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by rockydog
I called and the parts guy told me you still need to bring it to the dealer for the install. I purchased the thumb drive from my local dealer (yeah, it's a regular thumb drive) and then had to have it installed. The tech told me they plug it into one of the diagnostic machines and it downloads it to the vehicle. Seem like you should only have to plug it into the usb port above the transmission shifter (behind the little sliding door) and it would work. I opted for the dealer install as I didn't want to chance bricking the system. If anyone has tried a self install, pls share. It would save an hours worth of dealer time.
Thanks for making this an easy decision!

If Ford's experience is any indication, it will be a cold day in hell before another car company allows their customers to "mess with" their vehicles' software:

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/upda...sm-165359.html

The members on this forum are enthusiastic, informed and risk-tolerant ... which is NOT typical of car owners. As long as the vehicle manufacturers bear not only the warranty, but also the liability for their product, we need to let them control who makes changes to the vehicle. When we took delivery of our GX, I opened the hood for my own curiosity ... that was the first, last and only time the hood has been opened by anyone other than Lexus!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 09-03-12, 02:08 PM
rockydog
Driver

I can understand not modifying or experimenting with your Lexus if you're under warranty and have a concern about it. But, I'm always under the hood of my Lexus and BMW roadster, and have no aversion to doing sensible modifications. On the Lexus I've added a wired Valentine 1, and a dual USB port in my glove box for charging the phone. I've installed a Lexus factory hitch, Lexus tail pipe, and a few other minor things. The roadster is full of performance mods, all tried and true, with either OEM or quality performance company parts. To me, half the fun of owning a car is making it personal.

Quick Reply: Map Data Version More Recent Than 09.1