Print Wikipost

Extended warrnaty/ Ext.paint protection

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-12, 07:23 PM
msv94
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended warrnaty/ Ext.paint protection

Hey guys I picked up my wife a 2012 gx460 2wks ago from Bredemann Lexus and the finance guy was offering us extended warranty 8/75,000 ($2625.00) and exterior paint protection$1,195.00). We didnt pick up either cause we want to shop around and make sure where not getting jipped cause I know thats where dealers make there money on new cars. Is it to much? Also, is anybody familiar with the ext. paint protection that they offer? You can have it done twice annually for the lifetime of the car. Is it just a buff and wax of the paint or something or is it really something special that helps the protect paint? They say its some type of clear coat protectant.
Old 04-12-12, 09:20 PM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msv94
Hey guys I picked up my wife a 2012 gx460 2wks ago from Bredemann Lexus and the finance guy was offering us extended warranty 8/75,000 ($2625.00) and exterior paint protection$1,195.00). We didnt pick up either cause we want to shop around and make sure where not getting jipped cause I know thats where dealers make there money on new cars. Is it to much? Also, is anybody familiar with the ext. paint protection that they offer? You can have it done twice annually for the lifetime of the car. Is it just a buff and wax of the paint or something or is it really something special that helps the protect paint? They say its some type of clear coat protectant.
Forget the paint yprotection, you can get the front wrapped in clear plastic for the cheap. We were also offered the same and here in CA it was small dings, and buffing. We did not opt for that. We took the 5 year extended just in case.
Old 04-13-12, 04:27 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

The paint protection is a rip off, most of that crap they try to sell you is a way for the finance guy to make commission.

If you want an extended warrranty, check with these people...

Troy Dietrich Greenfield Toytoa 413-772-0231

Jerry Johnson Midwest Toyota 1-800-530-5789

They sell the same warranties, I have a 7 year/100,000 mile warranty on mine...
Old 04-13-12, 05:39 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dinardalvi
Forget the paint yprotection, you can get the front wrapped in clear plastic for the cheap.
You are right about the paint protection but the clear bra is not cheap. If you get a complete package you will spend approx $1K. (front end, lights, mirrors, door handle wells, running boards, gas door area, rear bumper, etc). Well worth every penny!

Koz
Old 04-13-12, 07:42 AM
Craig B

Originally Posted by Koz
You are right about the paint protection but the clear bra is not cheap. If you get a complete package you will spend approx $1K. (front end, lights, mirrors, door handle wells, running boards, gas door area, rear bumper, etc). Well worth every penny!

Koz
I had the clear bra installed at the port for 429.00
Old 04-13-12, 08:36 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
I had the clear bra installed at the port for 429.00
The port installed clear bra from Lexus is typically not as extensive as if you buy it aftermarket. What parts did they cover on yours? I usually get the mirrors, headlights, foglights, door edges, full front bumper wrapped to the edges and the hood coverage goes higher up the hood. The coverage is what usually increases the price. Mine was not as high as $1k but if I were to get the rear bumper, handles, floorboards, etc. it would be over $1k.
Old 04-13-12, 12:46 PM
Craig B

Originally Posted by patgilm
The port installed clear bra from Lexus is typically not as extensive as if you buy it aftermarket. What parts did they cover on yours? I usually get the mirrors, headlights, foglights, door edges, full front bumper wrapped to the edges and the hood coverage goes higher up the hood. The coverage is what usually increases the price. Mine was not as high as $1k but if I were to get the rear bumper, handles, floorboards, etc. it would be over $1k.
Mine covers the front of the hood about 8" back, the sides of the front fenders, both mirrors and I think that's it.
Old 04-16-12, 09:28 AM
ShawShank
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

$1200 for paint protection? What does that entail? If it's just the Teflon paint sealant - a local detail shop will do the same work for about $150.

If memory serves me right, our 100k warranty was a hair under 2k.

At first glance - it looks like your finance guy was trying to "Gross" you. It was a great idea to walk away and do some research.
Old 04-16-12, 05:02 PM
msv94
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys I will look into all your suggestions.
Old 05-15-12, 08:45 AM
Tnorling
Rookie

Most financial advisors agree that extended warrantees are a total waste of your money. Take that extra $2k and put it in a savings account.

Last edited by Tnorling; 05-15-12 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-15-12, 12:16 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tnorling
Most financial advisors agree that extended warrantees are a total waste of your money. Take that extra $2k and put it in a savings account.
I would expect that ALL financial advisors agree that extended warranties are a total waste of money. That's because financial advisors advise only on money matters, i.e., reduce everything to dollars and cents and make the decision based on lowest cost.

The trouble is ... few things in life can be reduced solely to dollars and cents and certainly not the important decisions, e.g., getting married, having children, getting divorced, etc. Arguably, only the most simple and trivial decisions can be reduced solely to dollars and cents. The decision to purchase an extended warranty is not one of them.

I like to sleep well at night. Knowing our only vehicle is covered by a warranty helps me sleep well at night. If we keep our only vehicle beyond its four year factory warranty, we will certainly purchase an extended warranty. That will help me sleep well at night ... having an extra $2,000 in a savings account does nothing to help me sleep! ;-)
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 05-16-12, 11:18 AM
autoPOM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by msv94
Hi, My name is Dacey and I'm with autoPOM! We are a new vendor here on ClubLexus.

We offer extended auto breakdown protection for vehicles at substantial savings compared to dealerships and other 3rd party providers. We represent Mercury Select and we are A+ rated with the BBB and A.M. Best. Mercury is one of the oldest providers of extended coverage in the industry and has been providing automotive peace of mind to consumers since the 1970's.

If you are interested in this coverage then I would be more than happy to offer you a quote. Please advise your exact purchase date, state in which you reside, mileage, 2 or 4WD? My contact information is:
Old 05-30-12, 12:27 AM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Extended Warranty

It depends upon your situation. Dont buy the warranty until you need it. If you might traded it in or sell it. There no sense paying the money.

I paid 600 hundred dollars for 2 years of extended warranty on my 2007 RX350. Thats just one repair at the Lexus dealer.

And it has already paid for itself. My XM reciever went out about 45 days after my warranty expired. That was almost 500 hundered dollars.

Then two weeks ago the air bag light started flashing. My passenger seat air bag went bad. That was almost 1000.

These are the only two repairs I have had to do to my car. And I still have 11 months to go.

600 dollars for two years of peace of mind. That is .82 cents a day.

Its worth it.
Old 04-08-14, 02:51 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B

The paint protection is a rip off, most of that crap they try to sell you is a way for the finance guy to make commission.

If you want an extended warrranty, check with these people...

Troy Dietrich Greenfield Toytoa 413-772-0231

Jerry Johnson Midwest Toyota 1-800-530-5789

They sell the same warranties, I have a 7 year/100,000 mile warranty on mine...
Craig, is there a difference between the Original and Extended as far as coverage ??

~ Cap
Old 04-08-14, 07:19 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased my extended warranty a few months after I purchased my car. I wanted to confirm it was the right vehicle for the long term for myself.

Here is what it covers...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LEXUS_Platinum_VSA-05A.pdf (2.81 MB, 1883 views)

Quick Reply: Extended warrnaty/ Ext.paint protection