GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

iPhone 4S with Siri via Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-12, 11:55 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default iPhone 4S with Siri via Bluetooth

Siri works via Bluetooth with the GX 460, but it is neither handsfree nor convenient, which makes it not useful, especially when you are driving.

The iPhone 4S pairs via Bluetooth the same as the iPhone 4 ... we own both and switch 'Phones when we switch drivers. However, getting Siri's 'attention' to respond to your voice requires handling the 'Phone, which makes using Siri illegal in our state and presumably others that mandate handsfree.

If the passenger pushes the button to get Siri's attention, her voice plays through the vehicle audio, but in an unexpected manner ... as a telephone call! I wonder who is on the "other end of the line"? Take a look at the appended photograph of the GX 460 navigation screen ... that's what it looks like while "Siri is on the line"!

Unfortunately, it only works one way ... Siri's answers play through the speakers, but you have to speak into the iPhone microphone for 'her' to hear your question, which means you are holding the 'Phone, which is illegal if you are driving. About the only advantage is that her answers are easier to hear through the vehicle audio, but as they are also displayed on the iPhone ... well, it seems much more trouble than it is worth.
Regards,

SaniDel
Attached Thumbnails iPhone 4S with Siri via Bluetooth-siri.jpg  
Old 03-12-12, 01:46 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Interesting, I also have the I Phone 4S, but have never used Siri while driving...
Old 04-29-14, 12:15 PM
khiroshima
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is tremendous, you can both listen to and respond to incoming texts. Not ideal as it would be nice to initiate Siri through some Lexus button, but I have not been able to achieve this. I have a BT earpiece that I can hold down the on/off switch for two beeps and it activates Siri

I was doing a search just now to see if there was some capability in the GX that allowed similar behavior. It looks like the answer is no. Would love to hold down a steering wheel button and have Siri activated. Yes, delay to activate Siri isn't ideal, but it would be nice . . . Putting the idea out there, KH
Old 04-29-14, 12:55 PM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I use Siri in the car all of the time, you just have to realize that there is a slight delay while the Lexus works her through the phone call script. Press siri, and then wait a second and you will get the prompt in the bluetooth and do your thing. I use it all the time.

Also, when it comes to a dedicated Siri button. Its on the way, but Honda is currently the only one to have debuted it so far just this past December.

http://www.cnet.com/news/2014-honda-...built-in-siri/
Old 04-29-14, 02:12 PM
gzorn
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"I was doing a search just now to see if there was some capability in the GX that allowed similar behavior. It looks like the answer is no. Would love to hold down a steering wheel button and have Siri activated. Yes, delay to activate Siri isn't ideal, but it would be nice . . . Putting the idea out there, KH "

I complained about this to Lexus already. They decided with the Gen 8 system to remove this feature of being able to access the phone directly. Hopefully if enough people complain they will add it back in. It seems to be a feature with all other auto cendors
Old 06-09-14, 11:20 AM
khiroshima
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully if enough people complain they will add it back in. It seems to be a feature with all other auto cendors[/QUOTE]

Not sure who to complain to, I'm in! KH
Old 06-09-14, 11:38 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by khiroshima
Hopefully if enough people complain they will add it back in. It seems to be a feature with all other auto cendors
Not sure who to complain to, I'm in! KH[/QUOTE]

Wait until this Fall when iOS 8 is released with the "Hey Siri" feature:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/...ice-activation

At this late stage it seems like Lexus has a "Pyrrhic victory" with regard to smartphone integration. They have resisted agreeing to integrate smartphones into their system so they won that battle, but they lost the war. Apple and Android have moved on with their own automotive solutions and have left Lexus in the dust ... again.

Much as we love our GX 460, it is more and more resembling a "technology graveyard" where obsolete systems go to die. Meanwhile, much lesser vehicles are available with fully-integrated systems for smartphones and tablets using Apple's and Android's automotive solutions.

We use our GX 460 to answer incoming calls and it does that well, but that is about all it does well ... other than being the best vehicle we have ever owned, which is why we bought it. For the best vehicles available, we buy Lexus ... for the best technology available we buy Apple.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. If you can't wait until this Fall to get iOS 8, get on Apple's list to beta test it, but you will have to register as a developer:

http://9to5mac.com/2014/06/02/apple-...tion-and-more/
Old 06-09-14, 01:54 PM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Many 2014 Lexus models come with Siri Eyes Free. Completely integrates Siri with the car. So far I believe it's just 2014s with Generation 7 nav systems. For the GX, it's on Gen 8 now. I'm sure that will get Siri Eyes Free in the near future.
Old 06-09-14, 03:06 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by offroad200
Many 2014 Lexus models come with Siri Eyes Free. Completely integrates Siri with the car. So far I believe it's just 2014s with Generation 7 nav systems. For the GX, it's on Gen 8 now. I'm sure that will get Siri Eyes Free in the near future.
That is welcome news, but I am pessimistic that the GX will get what you described as the GX is "on its last legs'" as a model, but we can hope.

When it is time to buy our next (our 11th) Lexus I hope that Lexus will have bowed to the marketplace and implemented something as you described brand-wide. With new smart phones and tablets introduced every month and existing products radically changed with every "model year" Lexus can not afford to trap their customers in obsolete technology, particularly since the demographics of their customers are so desirable. Few of us will trade vehicles annually, but most of us trade 'phones annually ... Lexus needs to leave the fast-changing technology in the customers' 'phones and insure that new 'phones will work with the vehicle.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. Anecdote Alert ... When we bought our LX 450 in 1996 we paid $1,200 for an analog telephone 'brick' from Lexus, complete with a corded handset and a speakerphone, which installed in (and filled) the center console. We paid to transfer that brick from Lexus to Lexus until they announced Bluetooth integration with customer's 'phones and got out of the business of selling telephones as aftermarket options. That was a huge step forward and for several years ... and several previous Lexus ... we felt like we were "cutting edge".
Old 06-10-14, 08:13 AM
gzorn
Pit Crew

Need a way force them to add it to the GX

Here is a link to the article and the article from last year

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...ews_2013_07_16

Here’s a new-feature alert for the 2014 models: the Siri Eyes-Free system will soon be standard in the 2014 Lexus ES, GS, LS and RX, allowing Lexus drivers to talk to Siri while keeping their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.

Siri, of course, is Apple’s mobile personal assistant[1][2], which locates information after you ask your iPhone or other Siri-equipped mobile device. It’s also easy to use: Clunky keywords and specific commands are unnecessary. Instead, Siri is quite good at understanding natural speech and is able to ask questions if “she” needs more info to complete a task.

When drivers pair their personal iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 with a Lexus vehicle via Bluetooth[3], Siri performs an amazing range of tasks. Need to make a call on the highway? Ask Siri to connect you. Need to send a quick text message, IM, or email? Just dictate it to Siri. When replies come in, Siri reads them aloud over the audio system.

Siri Eyes-Free also allows you to check calendar events and dictate appointments, control your iTunes library and playlists, pull up sports scores and stock information, and even search for points of interest—all via voice commands and audio responses.

Bonus: the system provides turn-by-turn navigation using Apple Maps. When you request directions from Siri, a map pops up on your phone while Siri delivers directions over the Bluetooth audio system.

Activating Siri is also pretty easy. The driver simply presses and holds the steering wheel’s Off-Hook button, then makes a natural voice command (after your phone is paired with Bluetooth, of course).

Siri Eyes-Free, by the way, is now the third way to use voice control in Lexus vehicles, the others being the (optional) voice-recognition for the navigation, audio, and climate control systems, as well as direct voice communication with the optional Lexus Enform[4] system’s live-response-center agents.
Old 06-10-14, 08:27 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gzorn
Need a way force them to add it to the GX

Here is a link to the article and the article from last year

Here’s a new-feature alert for the 2014 models: the Siri Eyes-Free system will soon be standard in the 2014 Lexus ES, GS, LS and RX, allowing Lexus drivers to talk to Siri while keeping their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.

Siri, of course, is Apple’s mobile personal assistant[1][2], which locates information after you ask your iPhone or other Siri-equipped mobile device. It’s also easy to use: Clunky keywords and specific commands are unnecessary. Instead, Siri is quite good at understanding natural speech and is able to ask questions if “she” needs more info to complete a task.

When drivers pair their personal iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 with a Lexus vehicle via Bluetooth[3], Siri performs an amazing range of tasks. Need to make a call on the highway? Ask Siri to connect you. Need to send a quick text message, IM, or email? Just dictate it to Siri. When replies come in, Siri reads them aloud over the audio system.

Siri Eyes-Free also allows you to check calendar events and dictate appointments, control your iTunes library and playlists, pull up sports scores and stock information, and even search for points of interest—all via voice commands and audio responses.

Bonus: the system provides turn-by-turn navigation using Apple Maps. When you request directions from Siri, a map pops up on your phone while Siri delivers directions over the Bluetooth audio system.

Activating Siri is also pretty easy. The driver simply presses and holds the steering wheel’s Off-Hook button, then makes a natural voice command (after your phone is paired with Bluetooth, of course).

Siri Eyes-Free, by the way, is now the third way to use voice control in Lexus vehicles, the others being the (optional) voice-recognition for the navigation, audio, and climate control systems, as well as direct voice communication with the optional Lexus Enform[4] system’s live-response-center agents.
Works great on our 15 RX. Not on our 14 GX. I love the other GX features wish they were on my RX. Wish Lexus would put everything on all their vehicles
Old 06-11-14, 10:42 AM
gzorn
Pit Crew

Default No luck, coming in the 2015 model

So I figure I would contact Lexus Corporate directly and here is the thread, basically no we will not get it but the 2015 will. This sucks. Was done via the Lexus Driver's web site.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently you submitted a question to the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
Siri Eyes Free

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Karla May) 06/11/2014 10:36 AM
Dear Mr. Zorn

Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction. At this time we have no update information, however you may want check back with us or the Local Lexus Dealer in the future. I know that this Siri hands free technology will be available in the 2015 GX.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M., or Saturday, 7:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M., Pacific Time.

Sincerely,

Karla May
Lexus Customer Satisfaction
Customer By Email (Glenn Zorn) 06/11/2014 04:44 AM
Karla,

Are there plans to integrate this into the 2014 GX with the Gen 8 navigation systems with a software/firmware update?

Thank you

Glenn Zorn
On 6/10/2014 9:02 PM, Lexus Customer Satisfaction wrote:

Response Via Email (Karla May) 06/10/2014 06:02 PM
Dear Mr. Zorn

Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction. Your concern is important to Lexus, and we appreciate the time you have taken to share your thoughts. We are dedicated to providing superior service. In circumstances that require our attention, we will assist in the resolution process.

We appreciate your honest feedback, and I have fully documented your concerns here at Lexus headquarters for management visibility and future product cosideration. I apologize but this technology was not available when the 2014 GX became available, I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you

If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M., or Saturday, 7:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M., Pacific Time.

Sincerely,

Karla May
Lexus Customer Satisfaction
Customer By Web Form (Glenn Zorn) 06/10/2014 08:18 AM
I just recently purchased a 2014 GX460. Why is the feature described in the attached article not part of this vehicle? It has the latest navigation system and is something that is sorely needed by the owners.

Thank you