GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Got rid of the GX!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-12, 02:41 PM
NC244GLT
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got rid of the GX!!

Well, my wife finally decided that the GX was pretty much an awful truck and has traded it for an RX350 AWD. After 23,000 miles since April, and having the same issues we had with the first 2 GXs plus the less than stellar mpg (I know...it's a 4wd truck) @17.5 average she made the decision to change. The GX was a really nice vehicle, inside and out, until it moves, and just didn't justify the cost in the luxury department.

Long and short, i'll be in the LS and RX forums still and wish you well with your GXs and thanks for your answers to my questions!
Old 01-22-12, 01:51 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

sorry to hear that. the rx doesnt drive that well for a cuv imho. We had the hybrid for a week and definitely doesnt feel as solid as the gx..
Old 01-22-12, 02:57 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The RX is more car like. The GX is not for everyone. Please come back and tell us about the RX.

Koz
Old 01-23-12, 10:28 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NC244GLT
Well, my wife finally decided that the GX was pretty much an awful truck and has traded it for an RX350 AWD. After 23,000 miles since April, and having the same issues we had with the first 2 GXs plus the less than stellar mpg (I know...it's a 4wd truck) @17.5 average she made the decision to change. The GX was a really nice vehicle, inside and out, until it moves, and just didn't justify the cost in the luxury department.

Long and short, i'll be in the LS and RX forums still and wish you well with your GXs and thanks for your answers to my questions!
i know exactly how you feel.
i drive a Range Rover HSE so when we went Lexus shopping last Aug 2011,
we had our eyes on the GX but after driving both the GX and RX,
we made the decision to go with the RX 350.

i know and i agree completely that the GX is not for everyone.
and to compare the GX vs the RX is unfair. it all boils down to your "need" for the vehicle.
and where you will be driving as well.

Congratulations on your purchase, it is still a Lexus.
Old 01-23-12, 11:03 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

After 23,000 miles since April, and having the same issues we had with the first 2 GXs
Just curious, what were the issues you had with the first two GXs?
Old 01-23-12, 12:23 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I like my GX and I'm thinking about trading for the refreshed GX this fall. The RX doesn't compare to the GX in my opinion. I've driven several RX's for loaners. To each their own. What problems did you have with your GX's?
Old 01-23-12, 07:03 PM
NC244GLT
Driver School Candidate

The biggest issue with the GX was that it would not track straight on any freeway. The steering wheel was cocked to the left on all 3 trucks and after several trips to the dealer to correct the issues it was still the same. We took a few trips in the truck and to drive it for a long distance with having make steering corrections so it doesn't pull off the right side of the freeway was just unpleasant.

My wife liked the truck alot when she first drove it, but after spending time in it and then driving the RXs for several weeks total while the GX was in for "service" and then while waiting for the replacement one to come from Japan (we had to order the white one) she began to question her level of satisfaction. I posted awhile back that the tires were overinflated when we got the truck and that lowering them to the pressures on the door made the ride alot better, but it was still just not a nice riding vehicle. The RX came with an extra 5-6 psi in the tires too, so that has been adjusted and makes the thump of expansion joints quieter.

Oh well...wasted alot of time and money to find out that a truck rides like a truck....dumb, but you live and you learn, right? I'll stick with my LS....i like cars, not trucks or crossovers!
Old 01-23-12, 09:00 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

to me it also drove like a truck and i didnt like the ride initially, but now i love it. the rx is no comparison to a gx, and its basically just a camry on stilts imho
Old 01-24-12, 04:04 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The biggest issue with the GX was that it would not track straight on any freeway. The steering wheel was cocked to the left on all 3 trucks and after several trips to the dealer to correct the issues it was still the same. We took a few trips in the truck and to drive it for a long distance with having make steering corrections so it doesn't pull off the right side of the freeway was just unpleasant.

My wife liked the truck alot when she first drove it, but after spending time in it and then driving the RXs for several weeks total while the GX was in for "service" and then while waiting for the replacement one to come from Japan (we had to order the white one) she began to question her level of satisfaction. I posted awhile back that the tires were overinflated when we got the truck and that lowering them to the pressures on the door made the ride alot better, but it was still just not a nice riding vehicle. The RX came with an extra 5-6 psi in the tires too, so that has been adjusted and makes the thump of expansion joints quieter.

Oh well...wasted alot of time and money to find out that a truck rides like a truck....dumb, but you live and you learn, right? I'll stick with my LS....i like cars, not trucks or crossovers!
When the front end is aligned right the GX will ride/track as strait as an arrow. It's a shame you could not find someone who knew what they were doing, it was not the truck.

Koz
Old 01-24-12, 04:31 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
When the front end is aligned right the GX will ride/track as strait as an arrow. It's a shame you could not find someone who knew what they were doing, it was not the truck.

Koz
I agree, mine came in out of alignment. I drove straight back to the dealer and they did an alignment and it drives straight since the alignment...
Old 01-24-12, 05:35 AM
Khandfw
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you dont mind me asking how much did you sell it for
Old 01-24-12, 08:22 AM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Which year was it?
Old 01-24-12, 04:26 PM
NC244GLT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Khandfw
if you dont mind me asking how much did you sell it for
2011 and we traded it with just under 23k miles. We ended up at a little over $54, which was more than Black Book, and about where KBB showed excellent condition to be, plus we ended up with a pretty good price on the RX even with them having to dealer trade out of Savannah (we couldn't find an AWD white on black local and they only showed 3 in the system).

edit - The dealer had the 2nd truck on the lot last month with 16k on it for $58...exact same equipment, just black on black.
Old 01-24-12, 04:34 PM
NC244GLT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Koz

Koz
That probably would have made a huge difference in my opinion of the truck. We did take the white one to a local shop and he put it on his rack and said it was in perfect alignment, but it still pulled and had the wheel cocked to the left when going straight. I thought it was a really nice truck inside and it looked pretty good outside, but it just drove poorly. She doesn't need a truck, but didn't want to listen to me when I said that in December. I've made a few regretable vehicle decisions in the past, so we'll let it slide!
Old 01-24-12, 05:28 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

Sorry to hear about your experience. I have a 2012 GX and my wife has a RX. I've driven the RX extensively over the past year and just purchased my GX about a month ago. GX has a nicer interior as you said, and in my opinion a nicer ride. My GX tracks nice and straight directly from the factory. No issues with mine at all other than they forgot to install the shift lock cover and there were no floor mats included due to a "Stop Sale" on them. My dealership has them on order but Lexus still isn't releasing them to anyone.

The RX has a good interior but it definitely says Camry/car when it comes to the ride. That isn't a bad thing but the RX isn't my cup of tea. My wife has the polar opposite opinion so it seems our wives are alike.

As the old saying goes ... if the wife isn't happy, you aren't happy.

That probably would have made a huge difference in my opinion of the truck. We did take the white one to a local shop and he put it on his rack and said it was in perfect alignment, but it still pulled and had the wheel cocked to the left when going straight. I thought it was a really nice truck inside and it looked pretty good outside, but it just drove poorly. She doesn't need a truck, but didn't want to listen to me when I said that in December. I've made a few regretable vehicle decisions in the past, so we'll let it slide!

Quick Reply: Got rid of the GX!!