GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Got rid of the GX!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-12, 06:20 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NC244GLT
That probably would have made a huge difference in my opinion of the truck. We did take the white one to a local shop and he put it on his rack and said it was in perfect alignment, but it still pulled and had the wheel cocked to the left when going straight. I thought it was a really nice truck inside and it looked pretty good outside, but it just drove poorly. She doesn't need a truck, but didn't want to listen to me when I said that in December. I've made a few regretable vehicle decisions in the past, so we'll let it slide!
If only we could get our wives to listen
Which goes back to my previous point of "need" for the vehicle.
if your wife is simply going to use the SUV for shopping, doing groceries and the occasional road trips then the RX is the perfect fit.
Unless she's towing or hauling every other week, then i don't think there's any advantage that will compensate for the lesser mpgs that the GX/LX will give you.

Parking is another thing, my wife finds it easier to park the RX than a truck.
Old 01-24-12, 07:09 PM
NC244GLT
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by markrivers
If only we could get our wives to listen
Which goes back to my previous point of "need" for the vehicle.
if your wife is simply going to use the SUV for shopping, doing groceries and the occasional road trips then the RX is the perfect fit.
Unless she's towing or hauling every other week, then i don't think there's any advantage that will compensate for the lesser mpgs that the GX/LX will give you.

Parking is another thing, my wife finds it easier to park the RX than a truck.
SSSSSHHHHHH!!! You know they can hear you!

No towing in our world now, and she is almost all highway for her drive then parks in a multi level parking deck, so the RX makes more sense. I did like that there were hardly any GXs on the road vs an RX on every corner. I do really like the paint on the RX, though and think it looks alot "deeper" than the GX. It could be the curves on the car that bring out the pearl more.
Old 01-24-12, 09:04 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

2011 and we traded it with just under 23k miles. We ended up at a little over $54, which was more than Black Book, and about where KBB showed excellent condition to be, plus we ended up with a pretty good price on the RX even with them having to dealer trade out of Savannah (we couldn't find an AWD white on black local and they only showed 3 in the system).

edit - The dealer had the 2nd truck on the lot last month with 16k on it for $58...exact same equipment, just black on black.

i wonder what my 2010 premy with under 10K miles would fetch?
Old 01-25-12, 06:57 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

For some reason my wife likes the GX much better. I would have thought she would like the RX since it is more nimble and car like but when we bought our '08 GX, she said she would never go back to an RX. Our '12 GX also has no pull and tracks perfectly straight. I'm surprised Lexus couldn't get that right.

Originally Posted by bradtopp
No issues with mine at all other than they forgot to install the shift lock cover and there were no floor mats included due to a "Stop Sale" on them. My dealership has them on order but Lexus still isn't releasing them to anyone.
What is the "stop sale" on floor mats for? Is this for the all weather, carpeted or premium mats?
Old 01-25-12, 09:06 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

2011 and we traded it with just under 23k miles. We ended up at a little over $54, which was more than Black Book, and about where KBB showed excellent condition to be, plus we ended up with a pretty good price on the RX even with them having to dealer trade out of Savannah (we couldn't find an AWD white on black local and they only showed 3 in the system).

edit - The dealer had the 2nd truck on the lot last month with 16k on it for $58...exact same equipment, just black on black.
That is a GOOD trade.

Local dealer has two 2011 with about 10k in miles and the Prem is listed for $55k and the Base is listed for $50k. They both have Navi, HID, Rear heated seats, tow.......I would have gotten one if they are either White or Gray since Satin is NOT my color at all.
Old 01-26-12, 07:13 AM
Khandfw
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Gents im in the market for a GX 460. Im trying learn about it and a feel for pricing.
and since all of yall are part of the GX Owner club, feel free to advice and comment
Old 01-26-12, 11:30 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Khandfw
Well Gents im in the market for a GX 460. Im trying learn about it and a feel for pricing.
and since all of yall are part of the GX Owner club, feel free to advice and comment
As far as price, the closer you can get to the invoice price, the better (on a current model year/new vehicle).

Koz
Old 01-26-12, 05:21 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my case the stop sale is for the carpeted mats ... they were "supposed" to be in my vehicle but they were not when I purchased it.

Originally Posted by patgilm
For some reason my wife likes the GX much better. I would have thought she would like the RX since it is more nimble and car like but when we bought our '08 GX, she said she would never go back to an RX. Our '12 GX also has no pull and tracks perfectly straight. I'm surprised Lexus couldn't get that right.

What is the "stop sale" on floor mats for? Is this for the all weather, carpeted or premium mats?
Old 01-27-12, 05:21 PM
derby007
Driver School Candidate

Just to give the other side - I am a wife and I LOVE my GX! I have had it about 1 month. My husband really, really wanted me to get an RX but honestly I did not like it at all - sat like a car and while it did have a lot of nice luxury features I just wouldn't have been happy driving it. This was our first Lexus and while the RX is a great car for some it did not suit me at all. I love my GX and it is narrower than my previous vehicle (Tahoe) so I find parking a breeze. I told him the RX wasn’t worth switching from my 4 year Tahoe and I spent 10 years wanting a Lexus so he knew I was serious  Goes to show to each their own but agree with many of the posters than the GX and RX are just very different vehicles so hard to compare them.
Old 01-29-12, 06:14 AM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually think it's weird when I see a guy driving an RX. I'm a woman and I love my GX and have had it since they first came out. The rx just seems. .. . prissy to me. But I've been driving nothing but 4runners since 1996 so I clearly like the truck style over the car. To each their own. I also notice rx's on every single corner. They're a dime a dozen. When I see another gx I feel like we're in some kind of special club. Prob just me though. . . .

eta: I had the 460 since they came out. Never did like the 470 style.

Last edited by wannaGX; 01-29-12 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-29-12, 07:24 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by wannaGX
I actually think it's weird when I see a guy driving an RX. I'm a woman and I love my GX and have had it since they first came out. The rx just seems. .. . prissy to me. But I've been driving nothing but 4runners since 1996 so I clearly like the truck style over the car. To each their own. I also notice rx's on every single corner. They're a dime a dozen. When I see another gx I feel like we're in some kind of special club. Prob just me though. . . .

It is not just you...I also feel the same way with the ES even though I think they look pretty good.
Old 01-29-12, 07:26 PM
derby007
Driver School Candidate

Haha - I have to say I totally agree - to me when a man is driving an RX it looks to me like he is driving his wife's car. You really do see RX's everywhere - not that they aren't nice cars because they really are. I rarely see a GX which I is something else I like about it.
Old 01-31-12, 05:08 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

At risk of posting a "we too" message, my wife and I love our GX, vie for driving rights and think it is the best vehicle we have owned. Our early-production 2010 GX 460 is our 10th Lexus, seven of which were SUVs ... eight if you include an RX (which we don't think of as an SUV) ... and all of them we owned one at a time! Yes, we've owned only one vehicle at a time since 1996, all have been 'Lexi' and we think our GX is the best.

Our first Lexus was the original SC400 ... fast, quiet and smooth, but I had to recline my seat to avoid bumping my head. Our fifth Lexus was the first-year for the LS430 with summer tires and the Ultra Luxury package ... even faster, but it ate its tires and we had to travel with our luggage piled in the rear seat. Our ninth Lexus was the first-year RX400h ... surprisingly fast, quirky and eerily quiet, but it ate its batteries and we were stranded too many times, especially if we were to own only one car.

The other Lexi were LX and now the GX SUVs ... and we loved them, especially the LX, but it got too big for our garage. The GX is as easy to drive as the LS sedan, as maneuverable as the RX and easier to park than any of them ... parking sensors, rear-view camera, tilt-down and retracting mirrors and a high seating position makes parallel parking a snap. No, it's not as fast as the SC and no car should be as fast as that LS, but that's not how we drive anymore ... being retired and being on Social Security has its perks, but it also moderates our behavior. ;-)

The female correspondents on this thread may appreciate how we divvy driving rights ... the males may flinch, but it works for us. We switch drivers every day at lunch. That way whoever backs the GX into our one-car garage is responsible to drive it out in the morning. Yes, we both BACK it into a one-car garage and our only concession is a piece of white paper on the rear wall as our alignment marker ... center that in the rear view mirror, fold in the side mirrors and keep the wheel straight ... it works every time!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 01-31-12, 08:45 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by wannaGX

each time ive seen a gx, its always a women in my area...go figure...i see woman 4runner drivers here too...the real mans suv is the bmw and range rover it seems, but i dont care much for those
Old 02-01-12, 11:59 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

^ hey i drive a Range Rover.. ergo i'm "all Man"? but i also like driving our RX 350.. i guess yo can call me "Bi"? ha ha!
and i see a lot of GX 470/460 Blizzard pearl being driven by the "XX" population.
the same way i see a lot of Tahoe, Suburban, Ford Expedition being driven by moms..
Guys, if you base your manliness on that truck you drive.. then you have bigger issues.
by the way, my friend who served 3 tours in Iraq and Afghanistan drives a Prius.. does it emasculates him? hmm i don't think so.

Quick Reply: Got rid of the GX!!