GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Suspension upgrade options

Old 10-17-11, 03:49 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawShank

This is an off road feature. But KOZ nailed it on the head - most people aren't concerned about a $55k SUV's off road prowess. How else do you sell an off road feature to a bunch of people who don't care? Tell them it works on road too!
On-road, the front and rear stabilizer bars are automatically fixed in place, helping to minimize body sway while cornering.

~ Cap
Old 10-17-11, 04:16 PM
ShawShank
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Capirato
On-road, the front and rear stabilizer bars are automatically fixed in place, helping to minimize body sway while cornering.

~ Cap
SO would you say the KDSS is working or not while cornering? "automatically fixed in placed" sounds like it's not to me. Lexus describes the feature as "automatically allows each wheel to move more independently, so the wheel on uneven ground can react while the other wheels are relatively unaffected. This flexibility helps reduce vehicle tilt and improve traction on uneven surfaces."
But then adds - On road, the front and rear stabilizer bars are automatically fixed in place, helping to minimize body sway while cornering.

This is Lexus' definition of a stabilizer bar or Sway bar - Stabilizer Bar (Sway Bar)
This is a torsion bar (a rod that can twist) that is mounted across the car from one wheel to the other (connecting the front wheels or connecting the rear wheels). By transferring force from one side of the car to the other, stabilizer bars help restrict body lean (or sway) during cornering.

Does that last sentence sound familiar? KDSS doesn't help eliminate sway - sway bars do.
Old 10-17-11, 04:22 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I respectfully disagree with your first statement. The statement itself is contradictory.

You didn't read the link I posted did you Koz? Your sway bar itself is what limits the sway of the vehicle, not KDSS. KDSS is the technology that allows more wheel travel or flex out of the suspension while off road and still have a sway bar. KDSS does not engage while on road. It engages when it senses a wheel drop and allows it to drop more, simulating an omitted sway bar.

AHC is the same system in the Land Cruiser / LX 570 / GX 460 / Prado 150 Kakadu. I'm not sure about the 4 Runner but would assume Mr T would use the same system and not design a completely different system for only the top trim level. Especially since the 4 runner is primarily for the North American market and the Prado is for the rest of the world.
ShawShank,

You need to be a little more open minded when someone tells you something you may not know. There was a time when I realized there are some people who may be able to provide information I didn't know. Don't be so quick to disagree or be negative.

The vibration/shaking in the front end is not caused by poor dampening it is caused by either a out of balance component or a failed part. I would think if you have a front end vibration/shaking problem, tightening up the dampening could actually amplify the problem. Hey I may completely wrong but if you think about it, soft dampening could absorb the vibration and stiff/tight dampening could amplify the vibration. Doesn't that make any sense?

As far as KDSS you are wrong! Maybe this will help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLF6n3nMwww&noredirect=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAFIM...eature=related

If you understood my post when I said the difference is in the "(the electronic control)", not a completely different system. I read somewhere that the 2nd gen GX had an updated AHC system. The GX's ecu for the AHC is tuned to work with a different susp system (combination of KDSS, AVS and different ride dynamics). There is ALOT of design and engineering that goes into these systems to work smoothly together and how they affect other systems.

Koz
Old 10-17-11, 05:29 PM
ShawShank
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Koz - by no means do I intend some kind of forum altercation nor do I think I have all the answers. I started this thread for 1 reason, to let people know there are suspension upgrade options out there and the research I've put in over the past 5 months. But we have digressed to this.

If you knew me personally, you'd know that I'm an open minded person who speaks with respect, regardless of who I'm talking too. But I also speak my mind. I'm pretty sure you are the one that got negative with me. Saying I should not do this and it would be a mistake to do that. But you misunderstood my post, which is understandable and most definitely forgivable.

I am, however, allowed to disagree in a public forum. And your statement of "Coilovers are the best dampening system/component there is but I don't think they would help or have any affect with front end shaking/vibration." is what I disagree with. I have an old Land Cruiser that sits on 37" tires. I used to have a horrible shimmy at 70-75 mph. This "shimmy" was due to unbalanced tires and the weight of the tires. I installed some high end Radflo remote resi shocks that were tuned specifically for the weight of my truck, they were much more stiff than my previous ARB Old Man Emu sport shocks (gas) and my shimmy went away.

With regards to KDSS - I might be wrong but I have a hard time admitting it!

You can't see it - but I'm waiving a white flag....
Old 10-18-11, 05:56 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Koz - by no means do I intend some kind of forum altercation nor do I think I have all the answers. I started this thread for 1 reason, to let people know there are suspension upgrade options out there and the research I've put in over the past 5 months. But we have digressed to this.

If you knew me personally, you'd know that I'm an open minded person who speaks with respect, regardless of who I'm talking too. But I also speak my mind. I'm pretty sure you are the one that got negative with me. Saying I should not do this and it would be a mistake to do that. But you misunderstood my post, which is understandable and most definitely forgivable.

I am, however, allowed to disagree in a public forum. And your statement of "Coilovers are the best dampening system/component there is but I don't think they would help or have any affect with front end shaking/vibration." is what I disagree with. I have an old Land Cruiser that sits on 37" tires. I used to have a horrible shimmy at 70-75 mph. This "shimmy" was due to unbalanced tires and the weight of the tires. I installed some high end Radflo remote resi shocks that were tuned specifically for the weight of my truck, they were much more stiff than my previous ARB Old Man Emu sport shocks (gas) and my shimmy went away.

With regards to KDSS - I might be wrong but I have a hard time admitting it!

You can't see it - but I'm waiving a white flag....
There is no need for a white flag. Everything is cool! I’m a firm believer it that “time tells all” and in time you will see that I truly only wanted to help. NO ONE knows everything (myself included). I now find it rewarding to get information that I didn't know or I had a misconception about and was corrected. You may be absolutely correct about the coil-overs helping with vibration but from what I have experienced I tend to think differently. I will be installing coil-overs in my IS when the OEM shocks need to be replaced (within a year or two). There are some really cool active setups that have auto settings and also allow manual (flip of the switch, on the fly) preprogrammed setting to be used for different conditions. If the day comes when the fancy electronic shocks on my GX have to be replaced I will be looking to use coil-overs. I can’t imagine how much it would cost to replace the OEM AVS shocks!

I highly recommend you get those monster 37” tires balanced on a Road Force machine the next time you need a balance

Koz