GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX460 Uneven from Rear

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-11, 07:02 AM
waden43
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX460 Uneven from Rear

I noticed most of the 2010 and 2011 GX are un even from the rear.
I will suggest everyone with GX 460 to measure the vehicle hieght from both left and right rear tires to fender linning.
Atached is the picture on how to measure.
If you like you can measure same way from front too.
Attached Thumbnails GX460 Uneven from Rear-2011-lexus-gx-460-.jpg  
Old 09-03-11, 07:49 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The premium version of the GX 460 has air suspension in the rear, which can be adjusted for load, ride height and comfort. What you have noticed could be a characteristic of that version of the GX as the air suspension tries to compensate for an uneven surface. I suggest that you confirm your vehicle is parked on a level surface ... and especially level from side to side ... when you make the measurement.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. Our base version 2010 GX 460 does not exhibit the problem you described. When it is parked on an unlevel surface it "leans downhill"! That is especially noticeable when parked on a surface that is not level side-to-side as the vehicle's height and relatively narrow track emphasizes the tilt. Presumably, in an extreme case, the weight transfer would further compress the springs on the low side and relax the springs on the high side, which would create the problem you described. However, by that point the vehicle is probably in danger of falling on its side ... imagine the following demonstration, but with the vehicle sideways on the hill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyl7ytk1YIw
Old 09-03-11, 08:23 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

mine for sure is uneven sometimes, and even others. i cant figure it out. this gx has mind of its own.
Old 09-04-11, 05:43 AM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
mine for sure is uneven sometimes, and even others. i cant figure it out. this gx has mind of its own.
I would assume that if you never adjust your height, this wouldn't be an issue. To be honest, what ist he purpose of this feature if it just raises the rear...i think it isn't that usefull. I would just leave it at the lowest setting. it looks the best that way anyways so it doesn't look ao jacked up
Old 09-04-11, 06:52 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by frank69m
I would assume that if you never adjust your height, this wouldn't be an issue. To be honest, what ist he purpose of this feature if it just raises the rear...i think it isn't that usefull. I would just leave it at the lowest setting. it looks the best that way anyways so it doesn't look ao jacked up
It compensates for the rear end squatting if you ever tow or carry heavy loads.
Old 09-04-11, 11:17 AM
waden43
Driver School Candidate

SaniDel, You have very good explanation for uneveness. Forget about uphill or downhill or vehicle moving.
I am talking about parked vehicle on even surface.
Most of the GX460 from 2010 to 2011 are lower from rear right side.
I don't like the excuse for air suspension. This expensive vehicle should sit even on the even surface.
My 2011 gx460 BAse with only 1100 miles is 1 inch lower from the right and vibrated at the speed of 60- 70 mph.
To overcome the suspecion, I only suggest every GX460 holder to measure it by using yard stick or measuring tape. Make sure Vehicle is parked on a EVEN surface.
Old 09-04-11, 12:43 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Now I'm worried! ;-)

Just got home from lunch and backed our early-production 2010 GX 460 into our garage. Placed a Stanley FatMax 24" level on the concrete floor between the two rear tires to confirm that the garage floor is level side to side (there is a definite slope from the back to the front of the garage for drainage). Fortunately, the garage floor is level side to side per the following:

http://www.popsci.com/files/imagecac...main/Level.jpg

Placed the level on the top of the rear bumper under the license plate. It too was level, but can we assume the top of the bumper is supposed to be level? For that matter, what part of the vehicle is supposed to be level ... ?

Next, a steel tape measurement, per the procedure in the first message, centered on the rear axle and vertical to where the fender arch 'rolls' under. Squat so that my eye is level with the fender arch to get a consistent measurement!

There is a 1/4" difference ... 35-7/8" on the driver's side and 35-5/8" on the passenger's side. However, it is not because the vehicle isn't level ... at least the rear bumper is. More to the point, the vehicle appears level as parked in our garage so that difference may NOT be an accurate measurement of being level, but rather of fender clearance.

Could there be that much difference in the sheet metal on different sides, i.e., the vehicle isn't 'stamped' symmetrically? As the appended picture shows, the vehicle appears to be level, at least when parked in our garage.
Regards,

SaniDel
Attached Thumbnails GX460 Uneven from Rear-gx-460-garaged.jpg  
Old 09-04-11, 08:00 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by waden43
SaniDel, You have very good explanation for uneveness. Forget about uphill or downhill or vehicle moving.
I am talking about parked vehicle on even surface.
Most of the GX460 from 2010 to 2011 are lower from rear right side.
I don't like the excuse for air suspension. This expensive vehicle should sit even on the even surface.
My 2011 gx460 BAse with only 1100 miles is 1 inch lower from the right and vibrated at the speed of 60- 70 mph.
To overcome the suspecion, I only suggest every GX460 holder to measure it by using yard stick or measuring tape. Make sure Vehicle is parked on a EVEN surface.
odd. if you had the base, you don't have the air suspension...so go figure why yours would be 1 inch difference
Old 09-05-11, 08:31 AM
T4Fun
Racer

this is definitely an issue as i mentioned it before. problem is, it comes and goes...at dealer it seems to be fine...others not..

you cant ride with the lowest setting. it automatically sets to neutral once you get to 18 mph or so...

yeah, and the vibration issue exist more than you think...its not just a handfull of gxs...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ml#post6659263
Old 09-25-11, 10:20 AM
08mub
Driver School Candidate

Default Uneven From Rear and Vibration

I had same problem with my 2011 GX 460. First I thought My garage is uneven. After measuring it on even surface, I was shock to see uneveness.
Vehicle also had mild vibration at the speed of 62mph and above.

I called lexus same day and explained them the issue. Service manager came to look at it. lexus called FTC and finally took the truck back and gave me back my money.
I think lexus have one of the best customer service compare to any other expensive brand.

I still Like GX 460. I think it is one of the best truck on the road.

My conclusion for uneveness from rear on this vehicle is due to Barn Door.
I could be wrong, but I think mufler weight, door hinges and door suuport is making truck lower from right side.
Attached Thumbnails GX460 Uneven from Rear-gx460.jpg  
Old 09-25-11, 07:09 PM
rxgxmdx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geez, this looks so bad. I went to measure my base. Fortunately, it looked all right.
Old 09-25-11, 07:56 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by 08mub
I had same problem with my 2011 GX 460. First I thought My garage is uneven. After measuring it on even surface, I was shock to see uneveness.
Vehicle also had mild vibration at the speed of 62mph and above.

I called lexus same day and explained them the issue. Service manager came to look at it. lexus called FTC and finally took the truck back and gave me back my money.
I think lexus have one of the best customer service compare to any other expensive brand.

I still Like GX 460. I think it is one of the best truck on the road.

My conclusion for uneveness from rear on this vehicle is due to Barn Door.
I could be wrong, but I think mufler weight, door hinges and door suuport is making truck lower from right side.

its got nothing to do with those things you mentioned. there is something wrong with the suspension on the right for sure. Lexus has good service, but unfortunately they have not the brains for figuring this out as I am coming to see.