GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Other SUV's in GX's price range you considered

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-11, 06:31 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Other SUV's in GX's price range you considered

Since we have a GX470 we never really considered getting anything else except for a GX460 based on Lexus' reliability and great service at my dealership. I am just curious what other SUV's in the GX's price range you considered and what factors led to your decision either way. I am wondering if there are other SUV's that I should consider. We really like the Range Rover Sport but after doing some research it looks like reliability is questionable but other than that it looks like a great truck (although I think it is a little more expensive). The Infinity is more expensive so that is out. I personally like the X5 but it too looks like reliability is questionable and the local dealer here doesn't have the best reputation. So for $60k, what else is out there?
Old 08-29-11, 05:38 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've gone through the same debate in my head:

X5: Reliability issues. Both the 8 and the 6 cylinders have turbos so I'm staying away from this.

Mercedes ML 550: Already have a mercedes. Don't want 2 cars in the shop all the time :-)

Porsche: Well. interior is smaller (trunk space). Plus, at the 60k range, you can really only get the non-S model which will bring you in the 300hp range. Now, why would I want to do that, if I got a Porsche, it would have to be a Cayenne S or a 911 S, but if you did get the CAyenne S, look at around 80k loaded with the same features as your GX460.

Acura MDX: Well. It's ugly as hell so. It is priced 10k lower than the same equipped GX, but come on. I'd rather not get something so so ugly.

No sure what else there is unless you want to go larger, or go American with the Caddy SRX, but I'm staying away from that.

I'm probably sticking with buying a GX 2012. The main dislikes I have with the GX 460:

- Needs larger and wider wheels: 19x8.5 would be perfect for me.
- I wish it didn't look so jacked up tall. I figured the Premium, I can lower the back, but to me. It still looks jacked up.
- Handling. But if I wanted to speed around corners, I'll take my C63.
- Wish it had more power for what you pay. At least 340hp should be good.

One thing to note. I'm planning on using my GX460 for traveling. I don't want to get stuck in the middle of the desert so I want something reliable. I don't need the most HP or the best handling car around. SUVs weren't made for that so I'll stick with my other cars for those purposes.

I think that is mainly it. Choose wisely...

Last edited by frank69m; 08-29-11 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-29-11, 07:29 PM
rxgxmdx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I considered Mercedes GL450, but that car just doesn't hold value. A brand new GL is priced $10-15K more than a GX. But a one or two year old GL is listed at about the same price as a GX. Not to mention it has poorer MPG and I just don't like its styling.
Old 08-29-11, 07:39 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by frank69m
I've gone through the same debate in my head:

X5: Reliability issues. Both the 8 and the 6 cylinders have turbos so I'm staying away from this.

Mercedes ML 550: Already have a mercedes. Don't want 2 cars in the shop all the time :-)

Porsche: Well. interior is smaller (trunk space). Plus, at the 60k range, you can really only get the non-S model which will bring you in the 300hp range. Now, why would I want to do that, if I got a Porsche, it would have to be a Cayenne S or a 911 S, but if you did get the CAyenne S, look at around 80k loaded with the same features as your GX460.

Acura MDX: Well. It's ugly as hell so. It is priced 10k lower than the same equipped GX, but come on. I'd rather not get something so so ugly.

No sure what else there is unless you want to go larger, or go American with the Caddy SRX, but I'm staying away from that.

I'm probably sticking with buying a GX 2012. The main dislikes I have with the GX 460:

- Needs larger and wider wheels: 19x8.5 would be perfect for me.
- I wish it didn't look so jacked up tall. I figured the Premium, I can lower the back, but to me. It still looks jacked up.
- Handling. But if I wanted to speed around corners, I'll take my C63.
- Wish it had more power for what you pay. At least 340hp should be good.

One thing to note. I'm planning on using my GX460 for traveling. I don't want to get stuck in the middle of the desert so I want something reliable. I don't need the most HP or the best handling car around. SUVs weren't made for that so I'll stick with my other cars for those purposes.

I think that is mainly it. Choose wisely...
agreed...

there is no other midsize luxury body on frame suv out there that has reliability of the lexus gx...for me, there was no comparison to do.

only thing close is the qx, but thats a full size suv that looks like whale

yeah it has its issues, but what doesnt?
Old 08-30-11, 12:34 AM
gxgonz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you said no Infinity but the QX is really not that much more expensive and it is the only non Toyota/Lexus I would want. Just a little too big for my needs as a bachelor with no kids.
Old 08-30-11, 08:55 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

I liked the older body style of the QX but the new one looks terrible to me. Other than that it looks like a great truck.

I test drove an MDX a few years ago and it drove great, had great interior space and third row seats but I didn't like the looks of the truck and the interior just felt a little cheap to me.

I considered the Cayenne but after a few options, the price started climbing quickly above my budget.

I also considered a Denali or another american made truck but the interior ergonomics to me are terrible.

I just wasn't sure if I was missing any other trucks I should consider. I haven't checked out the comparable Mercedes GL and I forgot about the Audi Q7 although the exterior looks a little boring. I'll do some research. Any thoughts on the Q7?

Last edited by patgilm; 08-30-11 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-30-11, 09:03 PM
jamesmil
Driver School Candidate

While not as luxury as the GX 460, the Volvo XC90 has many similar qualities (same dimensions, 3rd row, safe). We had one before our GX460, but we are happy that we landed with the Lexus this time around.
Old 08-31-11, 01:33 AM
LongBall
Driver School Candidate

The new generation 2012 ML350 will be avail in a few weeks: http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/class/class-M
Old 08-31-11, 07:57 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by LongBall
The new generation 2012 ML350 will be avail in a few weeks: http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/class/class-M
lol, you joking right?

ugly outside, jeepish inside...
Old 08-31-11, 11:15 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually think the Jeep Grand Cherokee looks pretty nice; I'm not sure about reliability in the long run though.....
Old 09-01-11, 12:12 AM
LongBall
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by T4Fun
lol, you joking right?

ugly outside, jeepish inside...
You seem miserable. Every board, every vehicle every time — all negative.
Old 09-01-11, 11:23 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

I also considered the X5 and the Audi Q7, the Infiniti QX which is ugly and huge. Nothing compared to the reliability and features of the GX. I am very happy and satisfied that I got a great vehicle.
Old 09-02-11, 11:53 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MickeyS
I also considered the X5 and the Audi Q7, the Infiniti QX which is ugly and huge. Nothing compared to the reliability and features of the GX. I am very happy and satisfied that I got a great vehicle.
Same here!

Koz
Old 09-03-11, 04:55 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by LongBall
You seem miserable. Every board, every vehicle every time — all negative.
no, just not a "fanboy" of anything until they get it right...
Old 09-20-11, 12:54 PM
Tnorling
Rookie

We looked at a fully loaded Acura MDX and walked over $600. On the way home, the wife sees a GX 460 and says that’s what I really want. The rest is history and we couldn’t be happier.

Quick Reply: Other SUV's in GX's price range you considered