GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Vibration/Shake Issues

Old 08-17-12, 07:08 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by TimeFlies
I purchased a 2010 GX460 with 24k miles 15 days ago as a replacement for my 2004 GX470 with 180k miles. The "new" GX460 has had harmonic vibrations since the first day I drove it. I first took it to the dealer where I bought it; slight improvement, but not right (they did not have a road-force balancing machine). I then took it to a local high-end tire place that had done a great job balancing my old 470 -- no change. I then took it to a high performance tire/wheel/suspension place; they made various adjustments, told me the balancing was "perfect" -- still harmonic vibrations at 62 - 84mph. Today I picked it up from another Lexus dealer that does road-force balancing; they determined all sorts of bad indexing and balancing. The service manager said it should be perfect - it's better, but now vibrates at low speeds and high speeds. I'm taking it back to the road-force dealer on Monday and the original dealer on Wednesday. This is making me sick!! I traded it my 2004 which drove PERFECTLY for what I thought would be a dream car and I HATE driving it! To be continued...
try this thread and open pdf. see whats involved. take it your lexus dealer
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ay-speeds.html
Old 08-20-12, 07:10 AM
Risa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gx 460 shaking and vibrating

In response to everyone's problem with this which was also mine when I purchased mine
The problem is they changed the suspension and I do believe it's with the dampers
I changed out tires to michelin mx's and mounted and filled to spec only and it helped a little but it is still there and will always be there
and unfortunately Lexus will not admit a problem
I met with the regional rep from Chicago and he said it was road noise
that is how in tune he is with that vehicle - just get rid of the customer and shove it under the rug
anyone knows that this vehicle had a perfect suspension before they changed it with this model as I had 2 previous
so you see Lexus is no longer perfect nor do they address their problems
it should have been a recall
Old 08-20-12, 09:12 AM
TimeFlies
Driver School Candidate

Thanks T4Fun. I took it back to the service dept today with a printout of this thread (my service manager made copies) and the steering fix TSIB to which you referred. This particular dealer has very good road-force balancing equipment. It was actually the only place that could balance my old 2004 GX470 to "my standards". I've spoken with the dealer where I purchased the car and have an appointment for Wed morning. I've already begun discussing trading the car in for another one. We'll see what happens. At least it's a CPO so they are taking it a little more seriously.
Old 08-20-12, 08:31 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Risa
In response to everyone's problem with this which was also mine when I purchased mine
The problem is they changed the suspension and I do believe it's with the dampers
I changed out tires to michelin mx's and mounted and filled to spec only and it helped a little but it is still there and will always be there
and unfortunately Lexus will not admit a problem
I met with the regional rep from Chicago and he said it was road noise
that is how in tune he is with that vehicle - just get rid of the customer and shove it under the rug
anyone knows that this vehicle had a perfect suspension before they changed it with this model as I had 2 previous
so you see Lexus is no longer perfect nor do they address their problems
it should have been a recall
Sometimes Lexus will quietly fix things. Perhaps the 2013 will already have it fixed.
Old 08-27-12, 07:59 AM
08mub
Driver School Candidate

Default 2011 GX460 Constant Shaking

Lexus wont admit about the problem. They know it is a problem. This vehicle constantly shakes between 60-65mph.
I took this vehicle to two different dealers, both gave me lame excuse. First one did not admit the problem. Second one blamed it on tires rubber been to cold and hard for first 15 miles.
This vehicle should be recalled.
Another sad part, Lexus customer service people are on this forums pretending to be lexus owner claiming no problem with the vehicle.
Old 08-27-12, 08:11 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 08mub
Another sad part, Lexus customer service people are on this forums pretending to be lexus owner claiming no problem with the vehicle.
That's quite an accusation, but it would be easy to prove or refute. Please provide the URLs for the messages you claim were posted in this forum by Lexus customer service people so we may ask them.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 08-28-12, 11:22 AM
varok
Driver

Hi guys, just wanna share my experience with this vibration issue. We bought a 2010 Premium GX460 couple weeks ago from a non-Lexus dealer with 19k miles in it and immediately noticed the steering wheel vibration between 55-70MPH. Took it to a dealer which has the road force equipment and all vibrations went away. Was like night and day difference. Best part was this dealer didn't charge us a cent for doing this even though we didn't purchase the vehicle from them. Great customer service IMO.
Old 08-28-12, 11:26 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by 08mub
Lexus wont admit about the problem. They know it is a problem. This vehicle constantly shakes between 60-65mph.
I took this vehicle to two different dealers, both gave me lame excuse. First one did not admit the problem. Second one blamed it on tires rubber been to cold and hard for first 15 miles.
This vehicle should be recalled.
Just curious, what dealers did you take it to?
Old 08-28-12, 11:31 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by varok
Hi guys, just wanna share my experience with this vibration issue. We bought a 2010 Premium GX460 couple weeks ago from a non-Lexus dealer with 19k miles in it and immediately noticed the steering wheel vibration between 55-70MPH. Took it to a dealer which has the road force equipment and all vibrations went away. Was like night and day difference. Best part was this dealer didn't charge us a cent for doing this even though we didn't purchase the vehicle from them. Great customer service IMO.
Was the dealer with the Road Force equipment who solved the problem a Lexus dealer? If so, keep them! ;-)

Seriously, a Lexus dealer who invests in their dealership is the one you want. Our local dealership recently demolished and rebuilt their dealership. They were a great dealership before, but their facilities were antiquated and their amenities were non-existent. I couldn't give them a "straight A" rating because of that, but now I can.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 08-28-12, 11:39 AM
varok
Driver

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Was the dealer with the Road Force equipment who solved the problem a Lexus dealer? If so, keep them! ;-)

Seriously, a Lexus dealer who invests in their dealership is the one you want. Our local dealership recently demolished and rebuilt their dealership. They were a great dealership before, but their facilities were antiquated and their amenities were non-existent. I couldn't give them a "straight A" rating because of that, but now I can.
Regards,

SaniDel
Yes, forgot to mention it was a Lexus dealer and the biggest in SoCal so I would assumed they have the latest and greatest equipment.
Old 10-11-12, 05:50 PM
DrBarlow
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone had the vibration issue resolved? I am dealing with a CPO 2011 Premium GX right now that has the vibration issue. The Bridgestones the vehicle had on it were defective. They replaced all 4 tires with Bridgestones....even though I offered to pay for the difference to have Michelins put on vehicle. They would not do it. Vehicle still vibrates at highway speeds. They are now going to do the major repairs in the bulletin.

I bought this vehicle because it had everything that I wanted, and I typically don't buy brand new cars. Unfortunately, I have been very displeased with the ride and the service I am receiving from the Lexus dealership.

Has anyone actually gone through the "bulletin" requirements and had success?

I have only had vehicle for a short period....I would rather insist the dealership buy back the vehicle and I buy something I will be happy with.... Like a 2013? Has anyone bought a 2013 and had the vibration issues?
Old 10-11-12, 06:30 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Developed the issue at 20K and had the TSB done. Solved most of the issue. Hated the Bridgestones which rode like crap and hydroplaned easily, switched to Michelin LTX MS2s. I think the combo of tires and TSB took care of things.

I will say getting a road force variance balance done should help. The other thing when I had the LTXs mounted was a recalibration of the machine was required and they had an issue getting the wheels mounted/coned properly which I believe is tied into the spindle. Started out with 2.5oz per tire and when the machine was sorted out it was either zero or .5oz.
Old 10-31-12, 03:14 PM
LISAnCALI
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by allcruise
update. dealer now wants to replace and install rack and pinion steering.
This is major surgery, on a vehicle that only has 1,200 miles. ,, than wants to replace wheels, and who knows what after that. I honestly believe, after having the car in the shop now for 14 days, i have a lemon. Any suggestions, on getting a new car.
If you find a way to get them to buy yours back please let me know. I have a 2011 GX460 for a little over a year its been in the shop 4 times and away from me for over a month and a half. It started when I first bought the car it was shaky and had a bad vibration throughout the car. They told me to drive it for awhile and it should fix itself, NOT. I have taken it back several times for the vibrations I feel throughout the car a steerwheel that shakys so bad my arms hurt and the whole back seat shakys with or without someone in them. They a have torn apart my chassis tried to fix the issue only to make it worse and have to redue everything they did (ended up keeping my car for 2 weeks), I have had new tires put on and it taken to a specialty shop to have them balanced while under a load. everytime I get it back its good for abpout 100 miles then starts all over again. My kids refuse to ride in the back and I have taken to driving my daughters IS250 instead of mine. HELP beynod fed up!
Old 10-31-12, 03:32 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by LISAnCALI
If you find a way to get them to buy yours back please let me know.
Lexus has replaced vehicles for us for less problems than you have had! Here's how it worked to our advantage for one of those situations:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5747992-post27.html

What are the "lemon laws" in your state? Once you know your rights, make sure your dealer knows you know. It may simply be a matter of waiting X days to assert your rights.

What are you driving while your GX is in the shop? If you are driving the dealer's loaner, keep driving it. Don't agree to return it until you are satisfied. It's probably not as good as your GX, but it's leverage.

Have you engaged a lawyer? I hope not. If you have, this will not turn out well as your dealership has little incentive to make you happy as you have already indicated by hiring a lawyer that you can't be made happy. It is much better to be firm, but friendly ... make it clear to your dealership that you want your GX, you want it to be right and you will be happy if they make it right.

Give your dealership every opportunity to fix the problem, but be sure it is fixed before you return their loaner. If necessary, have a spouse or friend drive you to the dealership to drive your vehicle before releasing their loaner.

If after their best efforts to fix it are unsuccessful, i.e., you are not satisfied, then is the time to expect them to replace it. Best if they offer to replace it, but expect it even if you have to insist. Keep us informed.
Regards,

SaniDel

Last edited by SaniDel; 10-31-12 at 05:44 PM. Reason: added URL for specifics about one situation when Lexus replaced our vehicle
Old 11-16-12, 07:32 PM
LISAnCALI
Driver School Candidate

Default Finally getting somewhere

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Lexus has replaced vehicles for us for less problems than you have had! Here's how it worked to our advantage for one of those situations:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5747992-post27.html

What are the "lemon laws" in your state? Once you know your rights, make sure your dealer knows you know. It may simply be a matter of waiting X days to assert your rights.

What are you driving while your GX is in the shop? If you are driving the dealer's loaner, keep driving it. Don't agree to return it until you are satisfied. It's probably not as good as your GX, but it's leverage.

Have you engaged a lawyer? I hope not. If you have, this will not turn out well as your dealership has little incentive to make you happy as you have already indicated by hiring a lawyer that you can't be made happy. It is much better to be firm, but friendly ... make it clear to your dealership that you want your GX, you want it to be right and you will be happy if they make it right.

Give your dealership every opportunity to fix the problem, but be sure it is fixed before you return their loaner. If necessary, have a spouse or friend drive you to the dealership to drive your vehicle before releasing their loaner.

If after their best efforts to fix it are unsuccessful, i.e., you are not satisfied, then is the time to expect them to replace it. Best if they offer to replace it, but expect it even if you have to insist. Keep us informed.
Regards,

SaniDel
SaniDeli
I called Lexus to see what my next steps should be in resolving my shaking and vibration issues. I was told that someone would be calling me back after they looked into my situation. I waited a week and never heard back so I called them back and was told the same thing a supervisor would call me back, waited for a call and 6 hours later I did get a call and they told me they wanted to do a conference call with me the next day... all fine. The next day came and went along with 3 others. I was fed up so I took to the social media ie: twitter, facebook to complain about my issue and wouldn't you know I received a response within the hour and had a representative call me the next day. I am currently going through the channels to have an arbitration hearing to see if I can get this resolved. For me the bad ride isn't so much about how much I spent on the car or how annoying it is (trust me its a horrible ride and overpriced if its going to be like this), its about safety! I had my GX start to shake without warning so violently that it was hard to control, it was as if I had thrown all my weights off the front tires or was loosing a tire and I was only going 55. This is not a situation that I want to happen while going 70+ on the freeway.
Im not a picky person when it comes to cars and I own 13 cars ranging from Ford 3, Chevy 1, Toyota 2, Lexus 2, Cadillac 2, Porsche 1, Fiat 1, Jeep 1, and a car should drive correct and safely and as far as Im concerned my GX460 does not. I can drive my 1958 corvette or my 2012 Fiat and not have any issues with steering or vibrations and these cars are each in their own classification. I am really hoping that they buy my car back and keep me as a happy customer rather than ignore me and drive me to never own another Lexus again.
Lisa

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vibration/Shake Issues