GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Discovered something new ...

Old 05-06-11, 08:16 AM
k3vo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovered something new ...

at least to me.

When driving in shift mode ("S"-mode), if you hold the shift lever forward from any gear for about 1+ seconds, the gear number will go straight to 6. That's not to say it will immediately shift to 6, but will set 6 as the upper hold gear.

This does not happen in my 2007 IS350.
Old 05-07-11, 11:53 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I confirmed this today. In the 'S' mode with any gear number displayed other than 6, holding the shift lever forward for more than a second causes the gear number to go directly to 6. For example, come to a stop in 'S' mode and either before or after stopping pull back on the shift lever to select a lower gear, even all the way to 1. Now push forward and hold the shift lever forward ... the gear number display immediately goes to 2 and after a second or so goes to 6.

Thanks for finding this for us as it will save redundant lever pushing to set the upper gear limit. I typically drive around town in 6, but occasionally use 5 or 4 or 3 or 2 for lower speed maneuvering while searching for a parking space or for downgrade descents.

Note that this does not work for downshifts, i.e., pulling the shift lever back and holding it makes no difference ... each downshift requires allowing the lever to return to center and pulling it back again.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 05-10-11, 06:12 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
I confirmed this today. In the 'S' mode with any gear number displayed other than 6, holding the shift lever forward for more than a second causes the gear number to go directly to 6. For example, come to a stop in 'S' mode and either before or after stopping pull back on the shift lever to select a lower gear, even all the way to 1. Now push forward and hold the shift lever forward ... the gear number display immediately goes to 2 and after a second or so goes to 6.

Thanks for finding this for us as it will save redundant lever pushing to set the upper gear limit. I typically drive around town in 6, but occasionally use 5 or 4 or 3 or 2 for lower speed maneuvering while searching for a parking space or for downgrade descents.

Note that this does not work for downshifts, i.e., pulling the shift lever back and holding it makes no difference ... each downshift requires allowing the lever to return to center and pulling it back again.
Regards,

SaniDel
Even though you select 6th, the trans will not shift into 6th unless you are traveling at a certain speed (I think it is 40+ mph).

Koz
Old 05-10-11, 06:37 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
Even though you select 6th, the trans will not shift into 6th unless you are traveling at a certain speed (I think it is 40+ mph).

Koz
Correct. I think of it as a "shift limiter" ... it will upshift no further than the number displayed. The benefit is at lower speeds when keeping it in lower gears improves response and makes it easier to modulate speed with just the gas pedal. The GX 460 tends to "run away" in D!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 05-11-11, 05:05 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Correct. I think of it as a "shift limiter" ... it will upshift no further than the number displayed. The benefit is at lower speeds when keeping it in lower gears improves response and makes it easier to modulate speed with just the gas pedal. The GX 460 tends to "run away" in D!
Regards,

SaniDel
I find it most useful when passing or towing. It gives me the option of keeping the engine in the RPM power band. I also use it to shed speed, even though the 4.6 does not have much engine braking.

Koz