GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Picked up a 2023 today. I知 having some issues. Need your inputs

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-23, 09:46 PM
TheLastV8
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Picked up a 2023 today. I知 having some issues. Need your inputs

After reading countless posts here and watching pretty much every YouTube review out there, Today, I picked up a 2023 GX 460 Lux + Off Road pkg. I am struggling. I was so exited for this vehicle, I waited almost a year for it but I am having some issues. It feels wherever I look something something appears to be "off". To be honest, I don't know if some of these things are normal or not, but they sure doesn't seem like the "tahara plan precision" I was waiting for. I appreciate your inputs.

1. Fob doesn't lock/unlock the vehicle: The vehicle had a sticker saying there was a shortage of keys and a second key would later be sent, no problem. However, when I arrived home I realized the fob I was given doesn't lock/unlock doors. The proximity functions do work (I can open the door/start the car), but the buttons on the FOB do not work at all. I tried replacing the battery, same issue. The led on the FOB blinks but nothing happens on the GX.
2. The sound system sounds incredibly bad. Based on SO MANY positive reviews on the ML sound system, I can only imagine there's something wrong with mine?!?! Is like listening to music under water. No matter what I do with the bass/high/mid it just sounds terrible. It doesn't matter the song or genre. It is so mindbogglingly bad, I would chose my 2019 Kia nameless sound system over this in a heartbeat. This is, without a doubt, the worst sound system of any car I have ever owned. I am using Apple Car Play. FM/SXM doesn't have enough quality to test. I don't have CD's anymore. I can only imagine there's something wrong with my radio. Any ideas welcome. UPDATE: I changed the USB cable, installed a new over the air update to the Lexus infotainment, restarted my iPhone and went for a drive. Not sure which but one of these did the trick. I still need to continue playing with the audio settings. Bass seems a bit muddy but that could be due to break-in of the speakers/woofers.
3. 2nd row seats gap. I don't know if this is normal or not. I have a 1.25 inch gap between the 60/40 section of the bench seat. This is the first time I see such a LARGE gap between the rear seats. Can anyone confirm if they have the same?
UPDATE: I致e been carefully checking out YouTube videos and I can see the huge gap in many of them. I can稚 say if they are as big as mine but at least I can see mine is not the only one. It may just be how it was designed.

4.. Front bumper alignment. The font bumper is rubbing on the fender. If i gently push the corner of the bumper, I can hear/feel it catch the corner of the fender. Compared to the passenger side, It's evident there's some sort of misalignment. Besides looking bad, My concern here is that vehicle vibrations will rub the paint will rub off the fender leaving the metal exposed / rust. I tried my best to capture it in a photo but it doesn't show well. The issue is on the driver's side. The passenger side is fine.
pass:

Driver:

Pass:

Driver:

5. Both Front signal markers by the fog lights rattle/loose. When I touch them, they rattle as if they are not properly secured or something. Is this normal? can somebody confirm if their front markets rattle when you touch them?

UPDATES:
1.FOB: Went to the dealership and saw them fix it. There were several other settings that were clearly not set to their default value. At this point, I am a bit concerned about who knows what else could not be set correctly. There were sections and other settings where it wasn稚 evident what the default should be.

2. sound quality. Much better. However, did it again on my way to the dealer. After the tech stream changes hasn稚 done it since.

3. 2nd row gap: compared to another 2023 black line on the lot. Similar gap but definitely smaller. I compared side by side. I壇 say about that one had an inch vs 1.25 in mine. I didn稚 have my measuring tape with me.

4. Front bumper: there were 2 other GXs on the lot. One black line and one with the sports pkg. Perfect gaps everywhere. Dealer is offering to remove the front bumper and re align it. Is it worth it ? Just hope I don稚 end up worse than it is now.

5. signal markers: they all rattled. Mine is definitely not the only one.

Last edited by TheLastV8; 01-06-23 at 09:04 PM. Reason: updated sound system problem
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (01-09-23)
Old 01-06-23, 03:14 AM
ScaldedDog
Pit Crew

Received 111 Likes on 62 Posts

Item #5 is normal, as far as I can tell, and the ones on my wife's X5 are the same. The whole front end of these things are just snapped together plastic.

Mark
The following 3 users liked this post by ScaldedDog:
dwh13 (01-06-23), Hrocks (03-08-24), TheLastV8 (01-06-23)
Old 01-06-23, 03:54 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Another '23 owner reported that FOB issue with no follow up post

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post11405738

I had read about the single FOB for now
https://goflatoutph.com/2022/10/28/y...t-one-key-fob/
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...-key-fobs.html
Old 01-06-23, 06:54 AM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 90 Likes on 69 Posts

#2 that big gap will drive me nuts. That is not normal.
Piney1 (01-07-23)
Old 01-06-23, 08:38 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

That gap is HUGE. I would think they could adjust that pretty easily at the dealership.
Old 01-06-23, 08:56 AM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a 2022, the front turn signal have a little play. I purchased aftermarket replacements for the earlier models (2016-2019?), they seem to fit a little tighter (originals cracked from stones). They are held on with a screw and clips.

The bumper misalignment is a red flag to me. From the factory it is very well aligned, but as others wrote there are plastic clips built into the bumper cover that attached to the fender (or fender area). The misalignment would have me investigating further. I would wonder if there was a light damage (bumper hitting something) and it was either repainted and clipped back into place or if the whole bumper cover was off for repair. Your picture shows a slight paint color difference (not uncommon with plastic-beside-metal when photographed).
If it was a repair before delivery, I'd be very upset (unless leased, then I'd not care).

The bench seat gap; Each side reclines independently so try to that. If the gap is still there, then that is very odd as I don't believe Lexus would allow it to leave the factory that way, which means someone messed with it. Find out why it was messed with and by who.

How many miles was on it when you got it? Was it first delivered to another dealer then a dealer-trade to your dealer? Look at the window sticker, should list the dealer it was assigned to. I'm asking because on dealer trades, things can happen to a vehicle such as damaged bumpers and who-knows-what happened to your rear seat.
Old 01-06-23, 09:52 AM
TheLastV8
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GX4602011
I have a 2022, the front turn signal have a little play. I purchased aftermarket replacements for the earlier models (2016-2019?), they seem to fit a little tighter (originals cracked from stones). They are held on with a screw and clips.

The bumper misalignment is a red flag to me. From the factory it is very well aligned, but as others wrote there are plastic clips built into the bumper cover that attached to the fender (or fender area). The misalignment would have me investigating further. I would wonder if there was a light damage (bumper hitting something) and it was either repainted and clipped back into place or if the whole bumper cover was off for repair. Your picture shows a slight paint color difference (not uncommon with plastic-beside-metal when photographed).
If it was a repair before delivery, I'd be very upset (unless leased, then I'd not care).

The bench seat gap; Each side reclines independently so try to that. If the gap is still there, then that is very odd as I don't believe Lexus would allow it to leave the factory that way, which means someone messed with it. Find out why it was messed with and by who.

How many miles was on it when you got it? Was it first delivered to another dealer then a dealer-trade to your dealer? Look at the window sticker, should list the dealer it was assigned to. I'm asking because on dealer trades, things can happen to a vehicle such as damaged bumpers and who-knows-what happened to your rear seat.
I had my name on it since before it arrived. Vehicle was dropped at the dealership Wednesday, they did pre-delivery inspection and I picked up Thursday at noon. Vehicle had 12 miles in the odometer when I saw it. I had the app and it arrived at the dealer with 3 miles. They ran a test drive around a few blocks which pumped the miles to 9. They went to add gas for another 3 miles.

Unless they painted the bumper or fixed it at port, I don稚 think the dealer had much time to do much. I may be wrong. Regardless, one of the docs they had me sign as part of the bundle stated they didn稚 fix, repair, or change the car in any way prior to delivery. I just find it odd that this would have passed quality checks at the factory.

As for the bench seat, it looks odd. The seat bottoms are flush with each other. The seat back is 1.25 inches apart.
GX4602011 (01-06-23)
Old 01-06-23, 09:56 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 982 Likes on 663 Posts

Unacceptable. My concern ... 2023 potentially being the end of the GX460 12-13 year run ... if we were talking an American car manufacturer ... the quality drops as the last vehicles leave the production line ... using less than spec parts to consume inventory. Agree ... not a Toyota thing ... stellar quality control ... but ...

I never buy a first year (teething problems) or a last year (parts bin consumption) of anything.
FastTurtle (01-06-23)
Old 01-06-23, 10:39 AM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by TheLastV8
I had my name on it since before it arrived. Vehicle was dropped at the dealership Wednesday, they did pre-delivery inspection and I picked up Thursday at noon. Vehicle had 12 miles in the odometer when I saw it. I had the app and it arrived at the dealer with 3 miles. They ran a test drive around a few blocks which pumped the miles to 9. They went to add gas for another 3 miles.

Unless they painted the bumper or fixed it at port, I don’t think the dealer had much time to do much. I may be wrong. Regardless, one of the docs they had me sign as part of the bundle stated they didn’t fix, repair, or change the car in any way prior to delivery. I just find it odd that this would have passed quality checks at the factory.

As for the bench seat, it looks odd. The seat bottoms are flush with each other. The seat back is 1.25 inches apart.
Lexus attention to detail, made in Japan, same bumper cover for years, so lots of practice. That misalignment of the bumper cover must have happened between leaving the port in Japan to when you picked it up.

Did you also adjust the lean-back on each side of the bench seat, where rear seat backs are flush across the seating surface?

Edit add: Just looked at your bumper cover pic again, I couldn't see what you described, it look fine to me (hard to tell with the small picture on my PC). Re seat gap: Just looked at mine, I also have a seat gap but not as much as yours. I hadn't noticed till now, not concerned though. With that, I may have a look at how it is attached to see if I can make an adjustment myself.

Last edited by GX4602011; 01-06-23 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-06-23, 10:56 AM
JZZFZZ
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 86 Posts

2nd row seat gap is large in my 2022 as well. I would say the gap is about half inch. I previously owned a 2005 GX470 which had no gap at all.
Old 01-06-23, 11:09 AM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 288 Likes on 198 Posts

I have a 2013 GX - here is the gap. Not sure if it is smaller or similar size but they have had a gap between the 60/40 seats since at least '13.

Old 01-06-23, 01:43 PM
evilfij
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Hard to tell from pics on the bumper. Gap in seat seems normal. If you have a cargo cover (so light does not shine through) you will not notice it (or notice it less).

Edit: deleted because under techstream the buttons should always work, but you can turn off smart access.

edit 2: the first aid kit fits in the compartment on the side in the back by the door nicely if you want to put it away. Congrats on the purchase and sorry for your issues.

Last edited by evilfij; 01-06-23 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-06-23, 03:09 PM
JZZFZZ
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CFAI
I have a 2013 GX - here is the gap. Not sure if it is smaller or similar size but they have had a gap between the 60/40 seats since at least '13.
This is what I meant by large. It bothered me
for a while before I convinced myself it did not impact functionality.
Old 01-06-23, 03:13 PM
SEELEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 114 Likes on 47 Posts

If the 2nd row seat back gap is something you'd like to cover - Canvasback has velcro covers which close the gap. I have them in my 22 GX460 (pic attached).

The following 5 users liked this post by SEELEXUS:
Acrad (01-06-23), darkoozy (01-07-23), FastTurtle (01-06-23), IanB2 (01-10-23), My450H (12-21-23)
Old 01-06-23, 03:56 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

I haven’t measured but I have a gap on my ‘12 as well.

Quick Reply: Picked up a 2023 today. I知 having some issues. Need your inputs