GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Tire Rotation

Old 05-09-11, 05:31 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Thanks for your inputs, but now I am confused. It seems that our spare tires may be different than our road tires ... several of you mentioned the term OEM. Does this mean that our spares are "not as good" as the road tires? If so, that is a very good reason not to include them in rotation, but how would we know if they are "not as good" ... other than something obvious such as their rating?
Regards,

SaniDel
Spare is identical to the rest of tires that came with the truck. The original Michelin the truck came with are very soft and do not last. In my 2010 gx after 5k miles they were down to 5/32 (half). When I got the 2011 replacement, I have changed them right away to LTX MS2 which come with 70k mile warranty. They run harder (more bumpy) but will last a long time. The spare is still an original OEM as Michelin wouldn't replace it under warranty. Since it is a spare, I don't care it about it.
Old 07-10-12, 03:49 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My spare is the same brand of tire as the other four. Also, it has the same rim, it wouldn't make sense to have a different brand of tire as a spare?
Old 07-11-12, 07:42 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the oems are crap, michelin and bridgestones..i replaced mine and just have the oem on spare
Old 07-11-12, 08:11 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

What's the most I can get out of those Michelin tires in terms of mileage? My truck has 28k already, I remember my old 4Runner had Bridgestones and they lasted 60k's.
Old 07-11-12, 08:12 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by T4Fun
the oems are crap, michelin and bridgestones..i replaced mine and just have the oem on spare
What do you have now?
Old 07-13-12, 04:04 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Important FACT!

To get the max mileage out of a tire, the tires must be moved on the opposite side of the axle (to rotate in the opposite direction) somewhere in the rotation method. It also helps reduce tire road noise that increases as the tire wears.

Koz
Old 07-19-12, 01:56 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz

Important FACT!

To get the max mileage out of a tire, the tires must be moved on the opposite side of the axle (to rotate in the opposite direction) somewhere in the rotation method. It also helps reduce tire road noise that increases as the tire wears.

Koz
Problem is, you have to get your spare wheel chromed. Only four wheels are chromed as OEM.

~ Cap
Old 07-23-12, 06:16 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Capirato
Problem is, you have to get your spare wheel chromed. Only four wheels are chromed as OEM.

~ Cap
I don't rotate the spare, this would always leave one axle with tires with different mileage and adds extra cost with every new set (not to mention being a PITA).

Koz
Old 02-20-19, 07:43 PM
Funk101
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Is the spare part of tire rotation at the dealership

Getting ready for our first scheduled maintenance at the dealer for our CPO 2017.

I was thinking of asking them to include the spare as part of the tire rotation. Is this something they already do?

I guess I’m taking for granted that we get a full size spare and rim (like on our 2004 4Runner). I haven’t even checked our spare tire/rim to make sure it’s the same as the rest.
Old 02-21-19, 12:36 PM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

not that i know of. At least on mine, dealer doesn't include spare in the rotation during scheduled services.
Old 02-21-19, 04:26 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,553 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Very good idea with AWDs which should have roughly the same tread depth.... but very rarely seen in action.
Old 02-21-19, 04:30 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 979 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by Funk101
Getting ready for our first scheduled maintenance at the dealer for our CPO 2017.

I was thinking of asking them to include the spare as part of the tire rotation. Is this something they already do?

I guess I’m taking for granted that we get a full size spare and rim (like on our 2004 4Runner). I haven’t even checked our spare tire/rim to make sure it’s the same as the rest.
I never rotate the spare ... why always have one tire that is at a completely different level of wear than the other three ? ... not an ideal situation. Yes, at some point they will all "somewhat" catch up with each other in terms of wear, but why even go there ?
Old 02-21-19, 04:53 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 979 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I'm not sure it matters as much on the GX with the Torsen but I used to have an old '96 Explorer 5.0L AWD (rear limited slip) with it's Borg Warner (BW4404)
viscous coupling center diff (IIRC...same one used in the old GMC Cyclone & Typhoon..could be wrong but can't remember now). This was full time mechanical AWD w/o any electronics. That vehicle could detonate that viscous coupling if the tires were 3-4MM out of spec on one wheel from what I have heard. I never let mine get that out of spec though. It is still on the road though with one of my nephews. Probably the only series of Explorer of that era with lots of reliability... an updated 302 (5.0L) from 1961 and it's 4R70W...the AT may not have been the best but the 80's Jeep Grand Wagoneer level of torque that motor threw at it probably kept it safe.
Short of the 4WD System consideration ... I would not want to be in an emergency maneuver situation with tires not all having matching handling characteristics, specifically on the same axle.
Old 02-21-19, 05:05 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,553 Likes on 2,327 Posts

A lot probably depends on how often you rotate your tires. Most times when I rotate... ( I do it at home.. frankly a lot quicker for me than waiting at a tire shop and dealer)
I can be done in less than 30 minutes in my garage on a Saturday morning.
I rarely find more than 0.5 mm wear. I understand if one doesn't have the tools, space, patience or desire :-) . . Now...obviously if I need a tire balance or alignment then out of my control and to the shop.
Old 02-21-19, 05:20 PM
rmason
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Funk101

Your spare should be the same tire and rim minus the center cap....which btw is quite difficult to remove.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Rotation