GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2nd Gen GX Lift Kit Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-11, 05:38 PM
JEB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2nd Gen GX Lift Kit Install

After 2 1st gen GX's, 5 modded FJ Cruisers and one 2010 4runner Trail, I decided to jump into the new base GX. Fixated in modding all my rides, I just completed the install of a Rough Country 3" lift kit. As expected it fit perfectly. To my surprise when I started the truck after the install the ABS, skid control warning lights lighted up, and the center diff light started blinking frantically. The truck feels held back (as if the diff where engaged). Something triggered a sensor during the install, or maybe it is not connected. Tomorrow I will take the lift kit out see if all returns to normal. Any thoughts/ideas? Did I finally mess one up?

I have a 35 percent grade in front of the house and it went up incredibly, even with the mushy OEM tires. I don't want to loose the height advantage. As a land surveyor, my truck will go alone routinely where other trucks dare venture only in packs.

First post but with heaps of experience to share. This time around though, I am the one stuck.
Old 02-17-11, 06:47 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

why do you want to do a lift on this? you should of stuck to the 4runner which looks much better lifted than a gx. jmho...
Old 02-17-11, 11:34 PM
gxgonz
Rookie

I have been wanting to lift mine as well. Sorry I have no advice about what may have caused the sensors to go off or the possibility of engaging the center diff. Only guesses that I am sure you have guessed. I hope you get it all figured out. Is it the same lift as the 2010 4runner? and is that the same lift as the FJ? You have to take pics I know it must look good.
Old 06-01-11, 09:35 PM
ShawShank
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

any update with this? Did you find the culprit? I'd love to see one of these lifted and subsequent overview of the vehicles performance. These rigs are built on a very capable chassis.
Old 06-02-11, 12:18 PM
JEB
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by T4Fun
why do you want to do a lift on this? you should of stuck to the 4runner which looks much better lifted than a gx. jmho...
Yes the runner looks better. The runner though, had a defect where the anti-skid and traction control stepped in in the most benign of curves and grades and made eat the seat belt a couple of times. Also the top swinging tailgate and spoiler kept hitting the surfboards and kayaks. Very capable vehicle, still with some refinements to be made.
Old 06-02-11, 12:21 PM
JEB
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ShawShank
any update with this? Did you find the culprit? I'd love to see one of these lifted and subsequent overview of the vehicles performance. These rigs are built on a very capable chassis.
Yes, I had to take the whole kit off and took it to the dealer. It was a bad a-trac/ABS harness and it did not have anything to do with the lift. The lift is going back in as well as some new tires, but have been attending to another project.

Did take some pictures of the lifted truck will post them as soon as I find where I put them.
Old 10-29-12, 08:14 PM
BonnerBB
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JEB
Yes, I had to take the whole kit off and took it to the dealer. It was a bad a-trac/ABS harness and it did not have anything to do with the lift. The lift is going back in as well as some new tires, but have been attending to another project.

Did take some pictures of the lifted truck will post them as soon as I find where I put them.
It didn't happen if there aren't any pictures.
Old 11-01-12, 05:11 PM
JEB
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BonnerBB
It didn't happen if there aren't any pictures.
Nice challenge. Herewith the pictures of the mods to date::

1. 17" wheels from my former 4runner with custom job on wheel centers andPirelli E-rated all terrains
2. 2" lift front, 1.5' lift rear (see the spacer on the front wheel photo).
3. Complete plastic matts to protect carpet.
4. FJ Cruiser hitch which bolts straight into the bumper (had to modify the rear bumper cover though).

This GX goes offroading often due to my work and trailers a 5000pound Zodiac and has the scars to prove it.! This is not the typical soccer mom's GX.

Let me know what you think
Attached Thumbnails 2nd Gen GX Lift Kit Install-img_0209.jpg   2nd Gen GX Lift Kit Install-img_0210.jpg   2nd Gen GX Lift Kit Install-img_0212.jpg   2nd Gen GX Lift Kit Install-img_0214.jpg   2nd Gen GX Lift Kit Install-img_0217.jpg  

Old 11-02-12, 05:38 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm loving the height! Please give me the details on the lift, I need more height in a big way.
Old 11-02-12, 07:03 PM
JEB
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
I'm loving the height! Please give me the details on the lift, I need more height in a big way.
Initially I put in a 3” kit, but was too high for the kind of vehicle. I was looking for personality and performance not brute looks. I then sourced a 2” leveling kit for FJ Cruisers (any kit for FJ or 4 runners will do). The “leveling” kit will raise the front a bit more than the rear to end up with a level stance. Headlights must be re-aimed to avoid blinding oncoming drivers at night.
When choosing leveling kits try to stay under 2” to utilize the stock shocks. The installation took 2 hours in the garage with a buddy and a couple of jacks. I found out that with my kit the rear rubber spring bushings had to be removed, but this is not the case with all kits. I have taken the truck to the dealership for the “free” maintenance program and so far no comments on warranty issues.
Lastly, this can only be done with the base model as it is a hassle to trick air and hydraulic suspension systems. I had to sacrifice the crawl control in choosing the base model, but the base it will take me to 99% of the places I need to be. Plus I like the “Toyota Prado” leather trim of the base instead of the wood steering wheel and accents of the premium model.

Where you get the parts? e Bay, under $300.00.
Old 11-03-12, 07:07 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Cool, thanks, I have installed the strut spacers before in other vehicles so it seems like an easy job.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-05-12, 07:35 PM
BonnerBB
Rookie

Cool... But I will be honest. I am not a big fan of the 4runner wheels. It makes it not look like a GX anymore. Why not stick with the GX wheels with the bigger meat?

What size tires are those?

Last edited by BonnerBB; 11-06-12 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-13-12, 11:11 AM
Myke215
Driver School Candidate

Inspirational.
Old 11-14-12, 04:05 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JEB
I had to sacrifice the crawl control in choosing the base model, but the base it will take me to 99% of the places I need to be. Plus I like the “Toyota Prado” leather trim of the base instead of the wood steering wheel and accents of the premium model.
Crawl control is optional on all GX models (in US).

Koz
Old 12-15-12, 07:58 AM
BonnerBB
Rookie

Chirp.. Chirp... Anybody in here?

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen GX Lift Kit Install