GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2010 GX460 - Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-10, 10:27 AM
yipster222
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 GX460 - Review

Today I dropped my 2008 LS 460 for a VSR and I received a 2010 GX460 Premium fully loaded ($68k) as my loaner for 2 to 3 days.

I was planning on trading my wife's car for this or a LX. But the redesign GX is a big disappoint to me.

Pro
-Ample storage space
-Nice front dash
-Good driver side view
-Safety gadgets

Con
-Slow even with 300+ HP
-Low MPG (12mpg)
-Unusable 3rd row, please get ride of it and save like 300 to 400 lbs
-Road noise even driving on a smooth surface on the freeway (noisy tires?)
-Handling, the suv moves like a boat

I would expect a much refine and higher quality GX from Lexus. But I was wrong. I wish Lexus can make an SUV version of the LS.
Old 12-14-10, 11:38 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The GX is not the vehicle for you. You would be better suited for the LX.

Koz
Old 12-14-10, 05:23 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by yipster222
Today I dropped my 2008 LS 460 for a VSR and I received a 2010 GX460 Premium fully loaded ($68k) as my loaner for 2 to 3 days.

I was planning on trading my wife's car for this or a LX. But the redesign GX is a big disappoint to me.

Pro
-Ample storage space
-Nice front dash
-Good driver side view
-Safety gadgets

Con
-Slow even with 300+ HP
-Low MPG (12mpg)

I would expect a much refine and higher quality GX from Lexus. But I was wrong. I wish Lexus can make an SUV version of the LS.
These are interesting thoughts. I reached a similar conclusion (in terms of not getting another GX) a year ago when I test drove the new GX, but for different reasons.

I agree with the compliments on the interior but actually thought the handling was fairly good courtesy of KDSS. The LX definitely feels more like a boat. My old GX was a 2004, the first year that KDSS was introduced as an option on the GX, and because it was new, nobody knew much about it, but I wish I had gotten it.

I terms of power, you are not the first one to say that on here. I really did not have an opportunity to put it to the test, but it certainly felt a tad snappier than my GX 470 - nothing like the punch from the 5.7 on the LX, but it did feel like enough. Now, on paper, 301 hp does sound low for a vehicle in this class (many have mentioned that on here in light of the competition), but that's another story.

Regarding road noise, I understand the reasons for manufacturers' having multiple suppliers for components (in this case, tires), but those Dunlop tires that Lexus puts on the GX and LX stink. When we got our GX in 2004, it could come with Michelins, Bridgestones or Dunlops. The Michelins had wonderful ratings, and the other two (particularly the Dunlops) were rated horribly. In fact, the Dunlops were mentioned by name on a Lexus TSIB for vibration. Yet, they continue to put them on their vehicles... Lousy tires can really mess up the ride in a luxury vehicle.

Deal breakers for me were price and the reduction in cargo space, and even up until the last minute we were thinking about it since - bottom line - the LX was more. However, for better or worse, in the end the LX ultimately felt like more "bang for the buck" even though it's arguably overpriced. I actually like the interior of the GX better than on the LX, but could not get over the relatively-small cargo area.

But koz is right: the closest thing to an "LS SUV" is the LX, though it's hard for an SUV on a truck chassis to come close to the refinement of the LS, 8-speed transmission and all.

Last edited by caha14; 12-14-10 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-14-10, 06:22 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing I do agree with you is, the 3rd row seats. The current and previous gen were horrible, no real room. I have sat in the back a few times and its honestly not comfortable.

Honestly if Lexus wants to fit 7-8 people in a SUV, they should get a minivan in their lineup, but that would ruin the brand.
Old 12-14-10, 06:42 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
One thing I do agree with you is, the 3rd row seats. The current and previous gen were horrible, no real room. I have sat in the back a few times and its honestly not comfortable.

Honestly if Lexus wants to fit 7-8 people in a SUV, they should get a minivan in their lineup, but that would ruin the brand.
I don't think there is a single body-on-frame SUV with a solid rear axle that has decent 3rd row seats. The floor is too high. I don't know if there are any exceptions...
Old 12-14-10, 07:32 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Pro
-Ample storage space
-Nice front dash
-Good driver side view
-Safety gadgets

Con
-Slow even with 300+ HP
-Low MPG (12mpg)

you need to borrow the vehicle for about months to really come out with cons like that

the only thing youre right on is the 3rd row seat. In actuality, they are very useful for kids, but not for adults. So i have friend with the new sequoia, and even he says the 3rd row not that useful in his truck...

Low MPG, u must have a lead foot. Ive gotten 23 mpg highway. In city, about 15.

Power- the engine needs time to break in. Even after 5 months of owning this, the engine i feel is getting much stronger. It moves when u want it

Handling - actually your logic makes little sense. The LX handles much worse than this if you want that monster. This handles pretty good, and weight distribution is near 50 ;50 front to rear. Unfortunately the height of vehicle still is its biggest enemy when it comes to handling..NOw if youre comparing this to an X6 or X5, of course this doesnt handle as well. It moves like a boat? You must not drive very many suvs or body on frames for that matter..

Noise - The ride is very quiet imho. Go drive the 4runner if want a real comparison and then you will be back to the gx
Old 12-15-10, 06:13 AM
Koz

You have to understand that the GX/LX are real trucks that are designed for dual purposes (on/off road). You can't expect them to drive like an LS or even like a crossover (car based). You are looking at the wrong type of vehicle. You should be looking at something like X5-M or Porsche Cayenne-S.

Koz
Old 12-18-10, 08:52 PM
GXOwner
Driver School Candidate

Like Koz mentioned, the cons stated are due to the fact that both the GX and LX are body on frame truck-based SUVs so you will give up some ride comfort/gas mileage for offroad capabilities. While the majority of GX/LX owners in the states rarely go offroad with the vehicle, it is nice to know you can if needed.

We live in SoCal but do make annual trips up to Mammoth and have encountered some nasty snow conditions so that was one of the main reasons we went with the GX over the X5 or ML crossovers. Also, we find Lexus to be much more reliable than their European counterparts. Since we have the GX, I can comment more on it and the handling does take a little time to get used to especially if you are driving luxury cars or crossovers.
Old 12-19-10, 06:15 PM
Koz

Pro
-Ample storage space
-Nice front dash
-Good driver side view
-Safety gadgets

Con
-Slow even with 300+ HP
-Low MPG (12mpg)

Being that I own a GX, there are a couple things you felt were a "Con", that I feel don't make sense. I could not disagree more too just about all your cons.

I had a V8 4Runner and the GX is quicker and smoother, and gets better mileage.

I get 13 city-22 highway with the GX (500 miles on this vehicle). This is pretty good mileage for a 5300 lbs. vehicle (800 lbs. heavier then the 4Runner). It is the class leader in gas mileage.

The GX460 is quieter than just about any other SUV even many of the crossovers (including the RX). I just got back from my first highway ride and the degree of smoothness and quiet is absolutely outstanding. I got 22 mpg with cruise set at 65 mph. I added 500 lbs of cargo for the trip back and it didn't faze ride at all and got 21.1 mpg.

Speaking of ride quality, the GX has an amazingly solid feel (due to its weight)with the agility of a crossover. With the suspension set to sport mode there is very little leaning/plowing. Again, this is a 5300 lbs vehicle. With the suspension set to comfort mode it handles ruts like a small bump in the road.

I have zero tire or road noise at any speed.

With this said, I can't see how you could have the complete opposite opinion of the same vehicle. Have you test driven any other SUVs?

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 12-20-10 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-19-10, 11:19 PM
akfd
Pole Position

My mom, who doesn't know anything about cars, couldn't tell the difference in ride quality between an RX and a GX; that's how quiet and smooth the GX is.
Old 12-31-10, 01:06 PM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

went and test drove a gx today (my dads looking at one). I disagree on the rear seating i found it to be fairly useful and decently comfortable. I'm 6'2 210 i could sit back there fairly comfy i wouldnt wanna sit back there for hours on end but for a quick trip to a game or something i found it to be ok.

THe ride in the front and back was really good and comfortable the rear seats being able to recline was quite a plus and the power 3rd seats makes it really easy to use. Overall i was rather impressed with the leg room and over all comfort of the car.
Old 05-18-11, 04:34 PM
Risa
Driver School Candidate

do you feel any shaking or vibration I have one and that is all it does
michelin tires not the tires suspension??????
Old 05-18-11, 05:40 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

<SNIP>
I was planning on trading my wife's car for this or a LX.
Let your wife drive it and let us know what she thinks.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 05-19-11, 04:11 PM
TrinCap
Rookie

Uhm, I'm not with you on the complaints. The ride isn't smooth??? Compared to what? If anything it's too smooth. Feel like you are in a cloud. The only people that are in the 3rd row for me are 7 year olds so it's perfect for me. Handling wise, I think you are mistaking handling "feel" and actual handling. Stack the numbers up and this thing handles quite well. I agree with you on the feel though. My wife's 2008 Highlander had a much more "car" like feel as did the MDX I drove. This has a "truck" like feel which well . . . it is a truck basically. Reminded me of the Mountaineer I had a dozen years ago. It's just different is all. It feels way bigger then the Highlander but it is in fact the same size (other then height). Frankly, for my stated purpose of shuttling the family around and errands and trips to ski while travelling in a smooth quiet and comfortable fashion, I can't think of anything better.