GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

New Owner with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-11, 07:16 PM
TrinCap
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner with some questions

Hi all. Well it's been 2 days with the new car and I must say, I think the reviews are a bit off on this. I think the car is fantastic. Does it have a sporty curb hugging drive? No. Does it have great road feel so you get the thrill of driving? No. Does it have or feel like it has blistering acceleration? No. But, isn't that the point? I fail to see how the MDX is a better car in any capacity (other than price). It felt almost rickety compared to this thing. I mean, if you have a family and want to head up to the mountains for a ski weekend and do it in style and comfort, I can't imagine anything better. And if you wanted a sporty car. . . well then perhaps an SUV isn't the best idea. I've got plenty of sports cars. This is perfect for what I wanted. Safe, 3 rows, comfy, quiet.
Anyways, I miss the days when I could buy a car and pretty much throw out the manual. Here's a few questions for everyone:
1. How the heck do you activate blue tooth audio on an IPhone 4 with Verizon. I couldn't get it to pair. IPhone just kept searching and searching.
2. Where do you buy a bike rack thing to stick into the tow hitch thing? What kind?
3. Seriously, the thing doesn't come with cross bars?!?! $65k car and I don't get crossbars? Where do I buy these?

Thanks in advance for the help folks.
Old 05-17-11, 07:35 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TrinCap
Hi all. Well it's been 2 days with the new car and I must say, I think the reviews are a bit off on this. I think the car is fantastic. Does it have a sporty curb hugging drive? No. Does it have great road feel so you get the thrill of driving? No. Does it have or feel like it has blistering acceleration? No. But, isn't that the point? I fail to see how the MDX is a better car in any capacity (other than price). It felt almost rickety compared to this thing. I mean, if you have a family and want to head up to the mountains for a ski weekend and do it in style and comfort, I can't imagine anything better. And if you wanted a sporty car. . . well then perhaps an SUV isn't the best idea. I've got plenty of sports cars. This is perfect for what I wanted. Safe, 3 rows, comfy, quiet.
Anyways, I miss the days when I could buy a car and pretty much throw out the manual. Here's a few questions for everyone:
1. How the heck do you activate blue tooth audio on an IPhone 4 with Verizon. I couldn't get it to pair. IPhone just kept searching and searching.
2. Where do you buy a bike rack thing to stick into the tow hitch thing? What kind?
3. Seriously, the thing doesn't come with cross bars?!?! $65k car and I don't get crossbars? Where do I buy these?

Thanks in advance for the help folks.

Cannot help you with #1 & 2. Don't have an iphone and for bike racks I would search for specialty forums.

If you want one that mounts on the roof and for crossbars, go to this web site

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/

Make sure you register first (provide your CL uername). When you log in you will see a discounted price. The cross bars should be around 180 with discount.
Old 05-18-11, 05:34 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Unless the iPhone 4 with Verizon is different than with AT&T, pairing should work just fine. Tap Settings, then General, then Bluetooth. Make sure Bluetooth is ON (slider turns blue) and the 'phone will start scanning for someone to 'pair' with. Next, add a 'phone from the GX 460 touchscreen and it will look for a bluetooth 'phone. When the GX and the 'phone find each other you will have to enter the password in your 'phone. From that point on it happens automatically and within seconds of starting the GX.

Are you the only one with a Bluetooth 'phone? If so, stop reading, but if not ... set up two to four 'phones the same way. You can select one of them at a time from the GX 460 touchscreen. So far so good, but what if two or more 'phones are in the GX 460 at the same time? Very interesting ...

We are convinced that the GX 460 can tell which 'phone is inside the cabin, but ONLY if there is just one. For two or more you have to manually select which 'phone to connect. That is a multi-step process from the touchscreen and you must let it complete before shutting down. We switch drivers every day at lunch and it is now our habit, but people do stare ... it takes several minutes before we can get out of the truck ... shutting down a jetliner takes less time! ;-)
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. If you have multiple 'phones, especially if you have multiple similar 'phones, use the ability to uniquely identify each 'phone by color/owner's name/model/etc. so they are uniquely identified. You don't want to get into a shouting match about whose 'phone is connected ... trust me, we've been there.

P.P.S. Love your comment about having to read the manual! Use the Lexus Drivers site and read them online. Even better, use their site as a reference ... who has the time to read over a thousand pages of manuals?
Old 05-19-11, 04:01 PM
TrinCap
Rookie

Thanks. I actually already got the bluetooth phone to link up. That was no problem on my blackberry and wifes IPhone (very cool that it keeps contacts only with the phone thats in the car by the way). The problem is, what about the bluetooth audio streaming? I play something from my wifes IPhone and the BT tab doesn't show up. Do you have to connect it some other way? For now, it's no big deal because she just connects via the wire USB anyway but it would be nice to keep it in your pocket and just click a few things on screen and go.

Oh, and I did come up with my first complaint on the car. The IPod controls stink. If you have a song titled say Zyfer and have 2,000 songs and you want to hear it. You are going to have to scroll a LONNNGGG time. It's not set up for an IPod specifically. In my Infiniti it's set up with album covers and song and artist, length, etc on screen and you can jump to any song via alphabetical tabs. Also, no hard drive??? Anyways, the interface in general isn't as good as the Infiniti's is. I include Nav in that assesment. Good news is, with ML system, it sounds better!

Finally, the car scared me a bit when going up hill and reaching the top. The traction control (? or something) activated and you hear this grinding sound. I thought I was rubbing the curb but I was 5 feet away. I saw the light though with the car and curvy road symbol. I've felt that before. Just not there.
Old 05-19-11, 04:21 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad to hear you got your iPhone 4 to connect via Bluetooth. We subscribe to satellite radio and we have no need to listen to music in our iPhones so I can't help on your questions about using the iPhone as an iPod with the GX. Others in this forum use their 'phones to play music and may be able to help.

With regard to your experience on a hill ... there has been a lot of discussion in this forum about what is going on, but it will allow your GX to do this!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...aby-climb.html

Regards,

SaniDel
Old 05-20-11, 08:12 PM
kevinLA
Driver School Candidate

To get the bike rack , go to Sport Chalet. I got mine from there.