GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Finally Found One Negative

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-10, 12:12 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I love the folding mirrors on my RX. You can set them to fold or not to fold, and you can still fold them manually
Old 12-08-10, 04:11 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by sudhs
Correct me if there already exists one but one of the most basic feature that I find missing is that there's no direct button on the front control panel to change the speed of the blower fan. There's one to turn the blower fan off but nothing to change the speed of the fan. Once has to go to the Climate menu of the ML/NV system and then adjust the speed even though it is one of the most basic functions. Instead of the FAN OFF, they could've made it a left press decrease and right press increase kinda button.
I very rarely find a need to adjust the fan speed especially when the climate control system does such a great job of adjusting the fan speed based on getting to the set temp. The only time I need fan speed is to defrost the front windshield and there is a button for that.

Koz
Old 12-08-10, 09:16 AM
sudhs
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Koz
I very rarely find a need to adjust the fan speed especially when the climate control system does such a great job of adjusting the fan speed based on getting to the set temp. The only time I need fan speed is to defrost the front windshield and there is a button for that.

Koz
Don't know about the weather condns of the place you live, but we have temps down to 20 deg F with a wind chill factor of about 18 deg F. The climate control goes out for a toss even though I set the temp to 75. Though I doube it would, but I'll try increasing the temp to maybe 80 this time and see if it can up the fan speed. As far as I know is that if you increase the temp., the only thing that the heating/cooling system (of any vehicle) does is that it opens/closes (in other words controls) the hot 'n cold air mixing ratios.. that's all. Thanks for the suggestion.. will try out and let you know
Old 12-08-10, 11:46 AM
Koz

The climate control system is very smart, it will wait till the vehicle reaches a temp where heat will be blown out. It will slowly increase the fan speed as the engine temp comes up. Depending on the temp difference between the setting and actual temp the fan speed will increase to get to the set temp or decrease as it gets close to the set temp. When you hit the front defrost button the fan speed will go to max regardless of the temp. The system will also sense different conditions (inside, outside temp, etc) and change where (which vents) the fan will blow. In the auto mode it will even determine when to use outside air.

Koz
Old 12-09-10, 08:10 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody use the little mirror where the sunglasses compartment used to be?
Old 12-10-10, 05:24 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
The climate control system is very smart, it will wait till the vehicle reaches a temp where heat will be blown out. It will slowly increase the fan speed as the engine temp comes up. Depending on the temp difference between the setting and actual temp the fan speed will increase to get to the set temp or decrease as it gets close to the set temp. When you hit the front defrost button the fan speed will go to max regardless of the temp. The system will also sense different conditions (inside, outside temp, etc) and change where (which vents) the fan will blow. In the auto mode it will even determine when to use outside air.

Koz
Koz has it right. The GX 460 is truly a "set it and forget it" climate control system. Other than making small adjustments of the temperature control set points when we switch drivers (I like 72 ... my wife likes 70), we don't change anything.

We also do not turn it off and on ... it remains in the AUTO mode. As Koz mentioned, it won't start blowing cold air at startup on a winter morning until it can produce heat. In moderate weather it automatically switches from outside to recycled air. On a long drive over mountainous terrain with a wide range of outside temperatures it will heat or cool with fresh or recycled air as is necessary to maintain our temperature set points.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. It was hard to "unlearn" decades of practice at turning on the climate control system after starting the vehicle and turning off the climate control system before shutting down the vehicle.
Old 12-10-10, 08:38 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by MickeyS
No, I've never used it, or found a need to use it...
Old 12-10-10, 10:12 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by MickeyS
The sunglasses compartment is still there. Pull the mirror down all the way!

Koz
Old 03-29-11, 06:08 PM
Doc H
Driver School Candidate

No compass heading in the rearview mirror like the 470. A little thing, but I miss it, even though it's on the Nav....
Old 03-29-11, 06:13 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

There's a small rectangular display in the upper right corner of the inside rearview mirror. It displays eight compass headings ... N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W and NW.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 03-29-11, 06:16 PM
Doc H
Driver School Candidate

Not on mine; had it on the 470, but not the new 460.
Old 03-29-11, 07:28 PM
Doc H
Driver School Candidate

Looks like the electronic compass was deleted in the Nav-equipped models...
Old 03-29-11, 11:06 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doc H
Looks like the electronic compass was deleted in the Nav-equipped models...
My GX has Sat Nav, and the electronic compass is there on the corner of the rearview mirror.....
Old 03-30-11, 05:50 PM
Doc H
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by akfd
My GX has Sat Nav, and the electronic compass is there on the corner of the rearview mirror.....
I think it was deleted for the 2011 models; my early 2011 model does - not - have - it ....

http://www.insideline.com/lexus/lexu...-for-2011.html

Last edited by Doc H; 03-30-11 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-30-11, 08:09 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

My 2011 has identical config as my 2010. The compass in the mirror disappeared. Personaly never cared about it as I have a Nav.

Quick Reply: Finally Found One Negative