GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

My Ship Has Come In

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-10, 11:03 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default My Ship Has Come In

I will be picking up my special order GX Premium tonight (in the rain).

Koz
Old 11-30-10, 01:05 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Congratulations and good luck!
Old 11-30-10, 04:39 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Best wishes and post some pictures ... after the rain stops and you get it re-cleaned. ;-)
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 12-01-10, 07:39 AM
Koz

Picked it up last night. I still can't get over the overall agility/responsiveness of the vehicle and how smooth/quiet it rides. The ML is incredible (better then my IS)! What’s up with the orange foot well lights. Can they be replaced? I replaced all the interior lights last night (raining outside), domes and doors. Installed the floor mats (Husky liners). If the rain lets up I will start on the exterior, fogs, city light, running boards, hi-beams/DRL and back-ups. The license plate lights are fine.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The Husky floor mats need to be slotted because the throttle hits and restricts WOT (wide open throttle). It seems no one has mentioned/noticed this. See phone pic below.

Koz
Attached Thumbnails My Ship Has Come In-1130102214-00.jpg  
Old 12-01-10, 04:53 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your new purchase!!

I'm planning on getting a set of WeatherTech Floor Liners, as I've been told that Lexus won't be making floor mats for the GX until their lawsuit is over, which is going to be about three years later. How are the Husky floor mats in terms of quality? Do they become slippery when your shoes are wet (since it's raining in your area)?
Old 12-01-10, 05:17 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by Koz
See phone pic below.
Koz ... what are we seeing in your 'phone pic? The black appears to be the floor mat, but what is the red ... carpeting? Is the color true to life? Have you found any differences in the color match between the carpeting, the seats and the interior trim? I've noticed that with the sepia interior ... the carpeting, the mats, the seats and the interior trim are slightly different shades of brown!

Hope your weather clears soon so we can see some outside pictures soon!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 12-01-10, 06:53 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
What’s up with the orange foot well lights. Can they be replaced?
It doesn't look like when I was looking at them. Those seem to be LEDs
Old 12-02-10, 11:39 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by Luke27617
It doesn't look like when I was looking at them. Those seem to be LEDs
Yes, I think they are LED. After replacing all the dome lights with M-SMTs the orange foot well lights create a nice atmosphere and I think I will leave them.

The pic of the mat was out of the vehicle on top of a red sheet covering my scooter. If you have Husky liners I suggest you lay on the floor and you will see how the mat limits WOT.

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 12-03-10 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-02-10, 12:56 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by Koz
The pic of the mat was out of the vehicle on top of a red sheet covering my scooter.
Koz
Whew! Thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't imagine that color in the interior of the GX!

Thanks also for the tip about mats limiting WOT. As we got two sets of mats with our GX we use the thinner ones when there is bad weather. We save the plush mats for when the sun shines!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 12-02-10, 03:16 PM
sudhs
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats on the new arrival. Post some interior pics.. Also can you please post the make/model no or say item no and if possible the item link for all the bulbs/LEDs that you replaced on your brand new vehicle. I'm interested in replacing the dome lights and signals and have read too many posts. So am kinda confused what to pick.. Maybe people like me get a little help from your post.
Thanks
Old 12-03-10, 10:04 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by sudhs
Congrats on the new arrival. Post some interior pics.. Also can you please post the make/model no or say item no and if possible the item link for all the bulbs/LEDs that you replaced on your brand new vehicle. I'm interested in replacing the dome lights and signals and have read too many posts. So am kinda confused what to pick.. Maybe people like me get a little help from your post.
Thanks
I would not bother with the turn signals (I’m not going to change them) because you would also have to install a resistor to slow the blinking. LEDs draw so little amps the blinking will be too fast without a resistor. Also the turn signals bulbs are amber and you will not see that much of a difference.

I will be finishing the exterior bulb replacements and I will take pics of all the replacements (including the domes and running board lights) and post them Sunday. I will also replace the high beams/DRL (9005) with 100w bulbs (with HD wiring for the added wattage).

These are the dome bulbs (6 needed).

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/C...57621-1-2.html

These are the running board bulbs (4 needed)

http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/D...61053-1-2.html

These are the high beam/DRL and HD wiring harness (1 pair)

http://www.buyheadlightbulbs.com/MTE...s-p/mt-450.htm

These are the fog light bulbs (1 pair)

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/D...24328-1-2.html

Koz
Old 12-03-10, 07:39 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
I would not bother with the turn signals (I’m not going to change them) because you would also have to install a resistor to slow the blinking. LEDs draw so little amps the blinking will be too fast without a resistor. Also the turn signals bulbs are amber and you will not see that much of a difference.

I will be finishing the exterior bulb replacements and I will take pics of all the replacements (including the domes and running board lights) and post them Sunday. I will also replace the high beams/DRL (9005) with 100w bulbs (with HD wiring for the added wattage).

These are the dome bulbs (6 needed).

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/C...57621-1-2.html

These are the running board bulbs (4 needed)

http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/D...61053-1-2.html

These are the high beam/DRL and HD wiring harness (1 pair)

http://www.buyheadlightbulbs.com/MTE...s-p/mt-450.htm

These are the fog light bulbs (1 pair)

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/D...24328-1-2.html

Koz
the leds dont measure up in lumens yet to compare to HID, unless of course you put the real deal CREE or Luxeon Leds, which would in any case require several leds hooked up on each side. These leds that are being sold all over the web are a joke imho. Bot several leds from vled, they dont compare at all to Leds from a fenix flashlight. Feel free to research and correct me if I am wrong. I am guessing they stay away from the CREE and Luxeon due to heat issues. All you need is a good led driver and heatsink and youre set

Why not put a real HID in the fog lamp slot? When I get a chance, i will be putting hella microxenons there.

Those fake HID bulbs youre putting in wont last long. (hence the 30 day warranty)
Old 12-04-10, 06:53 AM
Koz

There is a big difference between a flashlight and auto lights. You would want the brightest light possible for a flashlight (temperature is not a concern). I personally feel all the lights in my vehicle should have the same temperature (kelvin) and are as bright as possible. l feel that between 4300 to 5000 kelvin is the ideal temperature. ANYTHING above 5K does not appeal to me. I do not want ANY blue!

I feel that ONLY headlight should be HID (only OEM). I also feel all the other lights should be the same temperature (or as close as possible) as the OEM HIDs (4300K) and LED. From all the bulbs I've used and seen the 5000K M-SMTs (mini-surface mount technology) from VLED are the closest temperature to OEM HIDs. If there were 4500Ks I would use them. I also feel the M-SMTs are just the right brightness, especially for the interior. There is a limit to how bright you want for the interior lights. I've had to take out some interior bulbs because they were too bright (domes).

As far as quality, I've (and friends) used VLEDs for years and have NEVER had a failure. VLED has the widest selection of quality matching Kelvin LED bulbs (5000K M-SMTs), at a reasonable price.

As far as the 5000K VLED fog bulbs, they are simply amazing! Why would you want add the complexity and maintenance of HIDs when you can use these LEDs that are a “plug & play” replacement that draw half the wattage, are very close in temperature OEM HID and should last the life of the vehicle. After using these bulbs I would not even consider HID.

The high beam/DRL (9005) is the only light that is a problem. HIDs cannot be used and using LEDs will disable the high beam function. This is why I use a 100w halogen bulb. Let me explain, your OEM high beams are rated at 65 watts. The bulbs I use (listed above) are rated at 100 watts and 4350K (with a 150 watt simulated output). Because of the 35 watt difference I use the FREE heavy duty wiring harness and di-electric compound. Toyota/Lexus uses the high beam bulb as the DRL with lowered volts and full voltage for the high beams. Using these bulbs will give you twice the Kelvin for the DRL and AMAZINGLY bright high beams. This setup is safe to use. I’ve had it in my IS for years with no problems at all. If anybody has a better setup that does not eliminate the high beams, please post it.

I will post pictures of the end results using these bulbs and I challenge anyone to show a better overall match in temperature and efficiency.

Koz
Old 12-04-10, 06:25 PM
Koz

Here is a pic of the front seats with the M-SMTs in the dome. Pic was taken at night without a flash.
Attached Thumbnails My Ship Has Come In-front-interior.jpg  
Old 12-04-10, 06:27 PM
Koz

Here's the back seat.
Attached Thumbnails My Ship Has Come In-back-seat.jpg  

Quick Reply: My Ship Has Come In