GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Transmission Failure or Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-17, 06:59 AM
Brn2drive
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Agree with you on only using top tier gas to avoid buildup....that's all I use but I don't know what the previous owner used.

Also agree that disconnecting the battery is the likely solution (reminds me of the first step solution whenever you call the IT help desk lol). I just cant believe Lexus had the car for 4 days, reinstalled the trans software and didn't reset the ECU along the way. Maybe its not standard procedure.
Old 06-27-17, 08:51 AM
xxxwu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is very interesting, because I felt the same. it depends on how you step on the gas paddle almost... sometime it would go, and sometime the engine would just rev up (not exactly rev up but engine is loud) and not "go" or go slow. this is for sure new to me for a v8, I thought engine wasn't warm enough lol
Old 06-27-17, 11:59 AM
PLamarine
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had this exact problem on a 2016 RX350. It annoyed me so much that after 4 months and 4 dealer visits to try to rectify it, I traded the car. I now drive a 2015 GX460 with zero surge or hesitation or lag or anything. I love this GX!
Old 06-27-17, 12:39 PM
xxxwu
Driver School Candidate

lol that is what drive 2015 gx460 it come and goes, depends on how u step on the gas maybe...
Old 06-27-17, 05:29 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

You guys should get your transmission fluid level properly checked. If these transmissions are as sensitive to oil level as the ISFs, then that might be the problem. What the OP describes happens to the ISF when the transmission oil level is not properly set.
Old 07-23-17, 08:00 PM
machine323
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

there is a TSB exactly for this problem. don't have the number off hand or which models were effected. mine was reprogrammed on a 2010 model.
Old 07-23-17, 08:06 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Only TSB seemingly related appears to affect only 2010 models.

The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
cancruiser (03-15-23), User21c (07-24-17)
Old 07-25-17, 09:17 AM
oubobcat
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine does this almost daily after going over the speed bumps at daycare. I go slowly over them (3 total) as they are steep, and the GX acts like it is in 6th gear but should be in 2nd. High rpm then it abruptly finds the gear. Makes me worry about long term wear and tear.

I did find that going to manual mode and setting it at 3 or 4 tends to prevent this behavior.
Old 07-25-17, 02:50 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by oubobcat
Mine does this almost daily after going over the speed bumps at daycare. I go slowly over them (3 total) as they are steep, and the GX acts like it is in 6th gear but should be in 2nd. High rpm then it abruptly finds the gear. Makes me worry about long term wear and tear.

I did find that going to manual mode and setting it at 3 or 4 tends to prevent this behavior.
How far away from the dealer are you? If close might be something to reproduce for them. It's sounds like it is somewhat normal in the right conditions.
Old 01-31-18, 06:57 AM
Owner1st
Driver School Candidate

Default Trans Shuttering Lexus 470

HI there BRN2Drive. I have been having the exact problem you descried about the shuttering /vibration on my 2008 Lexus Gx470. I have owned it for about a year and it now has 130k miles. About 3 months ago it started the shuttering/vibration I thought at first I ran off the road onto those little bumps but have noticed it's consisting doing it every time around 40-50mph and it seems to be right before it shifts gears. I can feel it coming and if I push the accelerator when it happens or let off the accelerator the vibration will stop, if I do not it won't stop. I have tried to disconnect the battery and have just been to the Lexus shop local to me to have the computer reset they said that might help because the car can get used to how you drive etc. They also think it might be the torque convertor but say that that would be very rare as they have never seen that or a transmission go out in one of these vehicles... I'm just concerned it might die on me while I'm out with my child and wanting to know if you have had any other luck or findings about the problem. Thanks so much !
Old 02-02-18, 05:21 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

These shuddering while accelerating can be really hard to diagnose and track down. The typical causes:

1. Tires are out of round shape (search for tire run out and there are many explanations).
2. Axles (half shaft) are worn.
3. Engine / transmission mounts are worn.
3. Drive train issue, torque converter and/or transmission.

I have not heard of s single instance where a shop or even the dealer could 100% identify and solve an issue like this. I would start with rotating the tires and see if the behavior changes. I would also check the half shafts for torn boots, once the grease is gone it gets destroyed pretty quickly.
Old 02-27-18, 07:40 PM
Owner1st
Driver School Candidate

HI there I just wanred to post an update.After reading through many posts I decided to give the transmission fluid drain and fill a try. The local Lexus shop in my town assured me this wasn't a flush but a drain and fill. I have to say it helped tremendously! I have felt a slight shutter once when I was really trying to make it happen, but so far it's almosy completely gone to the point I don't notice it anymore, where as before it was consistent
​so hoping this is what the problem was!
Old 02-27-18, 08:29 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

After a few thousand miles, you may want to drain and fill again see if it helps even more. It’s relatively cheap.
Old 02-28-18, 05:20 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

+1 .... I'd recommend the same

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
After a few thousand miles, you may want to drain and fill again see if it helps even more. It’s relatively cheap.
Old 05-08-18, 06:43 PM
sirPickles
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Clunk / Rough Feel

Hi all!

I'm a newly registered member here at CL and thought I'd ask you other wonderful members about some uneasiness I'm experiencing with my GX. I've lurked for close to a year and have found phenomenal information on these forums. I'll be sure to introduce myself in the pinned roll call thread to give more background on myself and experience I've had driving Lexus vehicles..

To the point now.. In January this year I purchased a CPO 2017 GX 460 Premium with 23K~ on the clock and am now at 27K~. It came from Lexus of Tulsa. I've enjoyed most every moment operating this vehicle but am feeling that there could be a possible transmission issue. I say this because I've owned a 2011 IS 350 for just over 6 years and have driven other IS, LS, ES, GS, CT, RX and NX models of numerous generations. I've never experienced a transmission that seems unsettled with finding the drive shaft barely moving or at moderate to higher speeds with any Lexus vehicle. I don't know if this is normal given full-time four drive but I'd say not because RX and NX models are of the same drivetrain and don't feel this way. Maybe its the weight? The thing is that throwing it into drive from a standstill seems to take some time. Barely moving backward and putting it into drive makes for an unhappy GX, every other vehicle I've driven accepts slight reverse movement into forward. I'm a gentle driver and never harsh with a few exceptions in the IS 350. Coasting at 25 mph in the GX and then giving it easy to moderate accelerator pressure yields a clunk that I feel. The transmission just doesn't feel nearly as smooth as any other Lexus I've driven. It's going to be finding its way into Sewell Dallas (many, many years of exceptional service) in a couple of weeks for the 30K service and to address this.

I'm just looking to see if anyone has had similar experiences with their GX of any generation. At the very least its covered with warranty but it doesn't feel quite right.

Thank you all for any thoughts this fantastic community has. Less than optimal photo for good measure!

Pickle guy sir
The following users liked this post:
2014LexusG (09-24-21)

Quick Reply: Transmission Failure or Issues