GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

impulsing brake when applied

Old 09-15-10, 06:07 PM
gx460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default impulsing brake when applied

anyone has this issue. when stepping on the brakes it sometimes feels like its giving impulse .
Old 09-15-10, 06:31 PM
cannysage
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've no clue what you mean by impulse. you mean like hesitating?
Old 09-15-10, 06:38 PM
gx460
Driver School Candidate

i mean like vibrating but lightly
Old 09-15-10, 07:34 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by gx460
i mean like vibrating but lightly
warped rotors or pad issues?
Old 09-16-10, 05:21 AM
03LX470
Intermediate

I test drove a brand new car from the dealer lot. The steering was vibrating liek crazy and there was also some vibration while applying brakes.

The GX i zeroed in on was a slightly used one. It has the same 2 problems.

As I have read on this forum, the steering vibration seems to be related to balancing the 6 lug wheels or tyres. The other problem must be rotor rust. Have not seen these problems in other Lexus - appear to be common GX problems.
Old 09-16-10, 05:47 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

You may have been experiencing ABS action. You will get pulsing. Were you hard on the brake, or was the road surface in bad condition?

Koz
Old 09-16-10, 09:38 AM
gx460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Koz
You may have been experiencing ABS action. You will get pulsing. Were you hard on the brake, or was the road surface in bad condition?

Koz
no not hard with brakes and road is fine. took it to dealer but they said they did not feel anything, i think they are just lying will take it to a different dealer to let them check it.
Old 09-16-10, 04:42 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

We have detected something similar when lightly pressing the brake pedal. It is subtle and not at all like the action of the ABS, which is designed to get your attention ... sort of like highway "rumble strips".

This feels more like a tiny vibration in the brake pedal and is most noticeable at low speeds, on smooth roads and usually just as we come to a stop, e.g., edging into a parking space. It was a bit more noticeable during the summer when we wore light sandals and is less noticeable now that we are back in rubber-soled shoes and socks.

Obviously, we don't think this is a problem ... more of a quirk that gives our vehicle character ... it is more a function of what shoes we are wearing!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 09-18-10, 04:14 PM
gx460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SaniDel
We have detected something similar when lightly pressing the brake pedal. It is subtle and not at all like the action of the ABS, which is designed to get your attention ... sort of like highway "rumble strips".

This feels more like a tiny vibration in the brake pedal and is most noticeable at low speeds, on smooth roads and usually just as we come to a stop, e.g., edging into a parking space. It was a bit more noticeable during the summer when we wore light sandals and is less noticeable now that we are back in rubber-soled shoes and socks.

Obviously, we don't think this is a problem ... more of a quirk that gives our vehicle character ... it is more a function of what shoes we are wearing!
Regards,

SaniDel
Yes that is what i am talking about. So you do not plan to have it checked out cause i brought mine into the dealer and they said they can't feel what i am talking about. Never had this problem with any of my cars/suv before so it just feels weird for me.
Old 09-18-10, 04:30 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gx460
Yes that is what i am talking about. So you do not plan to have it checked out cause i brought mine into the dealer and they said they can't feel what i am talking about. Never had this problem with any of my cars/suv before so it just feels weird for me.
Correct. It is subtle and specific as to speed, road condition and even what shoes we are wearing. In addition, I'm the only one who has noticed it ... my wife, who drives the GX as much as I do, hasn't noticed it. You can imagine what she is thinking about me complaining that the brake pedal feels weird! ;-)

More to the point, it is so sporadic that we can not make it happen, which means we can not demonstrate the problem to our dealer, which means they can not fix it. Every vehicle has its quirks and if this is the only quirk of the GX 460 ... well, we'll live with it.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 09-18-10, 10:55 PM
akfd
Pole Position

My GX used to have the "brake vibration problem" for the first one few thousand miles. The problems seems to be gone now, as I haven't felt anything whether I step on the pedal hard or not.