GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-12, 09:35 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

There is a piece with about six bolts on it that the mechanic removed to get to the oil filter. He didn't have to remvove the skid plates. I'm sure if you took it to the dealer, they would show you what I'm talking about. I hope your wife doesn't look at your pictures LOL!

Regards...
Old 03-13-12, 06:52 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
A picture is worth a thousand words! If anyone needs convincing NOT to change their own oil and filter, but to leave that to the service department at the dealership, one look at your photos will be enough. Thanks for sharing them.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. I won't ask about your 'punishment' for dragging those parts inside and displaying them on what appears to be an oriental rug ... the consequences are too terrible to contemplate ;-)
i agree. i change my brakes and do most of the auto stuff myself, but i aint changing the oil on this thing. too much hassle to save $70 or whatever it costs...
Old 03-28-12, 06:07 PM
seahaul
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks like the same setup as my 5.7 Tundra, does anyone know the part number of the filter, i wonder if they are the same for both my vehicles?
Old 03-29-12, 05:32 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by seahaul
That looks like the same setup as my 5.7 Tundra, does anyone know the part number of the filter, i wonder if they are the same for both my vehicles?
My 07 IS uses the same cartridge filter as the GX but I think the 5.7 Tundra uses a different filter (different part #).

Koz
Old 03-29-12, 04:10 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sewell lists it as 04152YZZA5
Old 03-30-12, 04:05 AM
Koz

GX = 04152YZZA5
Tundra = 04152YZZA4

Koz
Old 03-30-12, 08:30 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

You can pick up the filter at any Toyota dealership as well.
Old 04-07-12, 03:17 PM
cannysage
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the process of doing the oil change. man, the placing of the oil filter is jacked up. you have to take the skid plate off...
Old 04-07-12, 04:18 PM
cannysage
Rookie

fk me.. i think i just drained the transmission oil.. is the drain plug right next to the oil filter? It won't budge. I drained the black pan
Old 04-07-12, 04:23 PM
cannysage
Rookie

also, the filter cover won't budge.. ahh. .halp.
Old 04-10-12, 06:57 AM
gxgrappler
Driver School Candidate

you have to take the skid plate off...
Thats what I thought too. But more than a few posters who haven't done it say that its not necessary.

Amazon sells an assenmacher speciality tool filter wrench that looks like its the right size. Price seems to be right. I got my filter wrench elsewhere for more, but even with the tight fitting wrench, you seem to have to put a lot of torque on it to move it to the point where it can be turned by hand. Might be tough to get loose with just the strap wrench version of the wrench.
Old 04-13-12, 03:25 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cannysage
I'm in the process of doing the oil change. man, the placing of the oil filter is jacked up. you have to take the skid plate off...
The GX470 was the same way. It has a screw on oil filter, but it was still a PITA to change.
Old 07-26-12, 07:07 PM
JimboRice
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Oil for 460

Hey I was wondering if anybody on here can tell me how to change the oil on the GX 460. The car is brand new. I want to save money by changing it at home instead of taking it to the dealer and paying them to change the oil. I have a IS350 and I change the oil at home and my brother has a sonata and he changes the oil for his car too. So if anybody knows if there is a DIY on it or not I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-26-12, 08:15 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JimboRice
Hey I was wondering if anybody on here can tell me how to change the oil on the GX 460. The car is brand new. I want to save money by changing it at home instead of taking it to the dealer and paying them to change the oil. I have a IS350 and I change the oil at home and my brother has a sonata and he changes the oil for his car too. So if anybody knows if there is a DIY on it or not I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance!
you must be kidding right?

just go to dealer. too complicated on this. last i checked, there was no skid plate on a IS that needed removal. someone here drained the tranny fluid thinking they were changing the oil
Old 07-27-12, 11:54 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by JimboRice
The oil (Toyota 0w-20) in the GX is good for 10K miles. I'm still on my free (first change) but I will be changing it myself. I firmly believe that the least the Stealer touches my car, the better! The GX uses the same filter as the IS and there should be a way to change it without removing the skid plate. I will be changing mine at the end of this year. I will also be changing my brakes (pads and rotors) within a month. After my last towing trip (which I had my brake controller set too low) I now get some pulsing in the brakes from high speed stops. I just replaced my IS pads and rotor with high performance replacements and there is a HUGE difference (improvement)!

Koz

Quick Reply: Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion