GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models
View Poll Results: Which tires came on your gx 460
Bridgestones
43.24%
Michelins
56.76%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Which tires came on your gx? R U Changing them?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-10, 09:11 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Which tires came on your gx? R U Changing them?

mine came with the crappy bridgestone duelers. reading reviews that are horrible on them. Thinking about michelin ltx m/s2 as replacements. Dont want to be skidding all over place here in the winter.
Old 08-09-10, 09:31 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Michelins... very pleased with them.
Old 08-09-10, 11:29 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Having the truck delivered with Michelins was always part of my sales deal. No extra charge for the switch.
Old 08-10-10, 02:56 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Mine came with Michelins. I'm also happy with them. If you switch, Michelin has a new tire out with about twice the tread wear rating. That's the tire I will switch to when these wear out. I think those are the same tires you were talking about.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....0&autoModClar=
Old 08-10-10, 06:59 PM
T4Fun
Racer

my dealer said they couldnt swap out the tires. wtf i am pissed. still less than 200 miles on my gx.

which michelins came with the gx?

yup, the LTX MS 2 is what i am getting. I will probably get them from sears, same price, no shipping, balance rotation can get in package, though probably wont use...
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1&blockType=G1

Last edited by T4Fun; 08-10-10 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-10-10, 07:52 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I would recommend to stay away from the LTX M/S 2. They will last a long time, but are extremely hard which means the ride quality will go down. You will feel every bump on the road. I wouldn't have a problem with that on a 4runner, but I would hesitate on a Lexus since I want a more luxury feel.

My GX came with Micheling HP Tour. The ride quality is very good, but don't think those will last more than 30-40k miles.
Old 08-10-10, 08:46 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
my dealer said they couldnt swap out the tires. wtf i am pissed. still less than 200 miles on my gx.

yup, the LTX MS 2 is what i am getting. I will probably get them from sears, same price, no shipping, balance rotation can get in package, though probably wont use...
Michelin Latitude
Old 08-11-10, 02:46 AM
Craig B

Here are the tires that came on mine from the factory...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....0&autoModClar=
Old 08-11-10, 09:24 PM
jtkeller
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've yet to switch tires on my GX, but I've gone from the Bridgestone Duelers to Michelin MS2's on my Sequoia and there was a marked improvement in ride and handling. While the MS2 might not ride as nice as the latitude, it is a nice step up from the bridgestones with the added benefit of longer tread life.
Old 08-13-10, 07:47 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by Luke27617
I would recommend to stay away from the LTX M/S 2. They will last a long time, but are extremely hard which means the ride quality will go down. You will feel every bump on the road. I wouldn't have a problem with that on a 4runner, but I would hesitate on a Lexus since I want a more luxury feel.

My GX came with Micheling HP Tour. The ride quality is very good, but don't think those will last more than 30-40k miles.
which tires do you recommend? the load rating if i remember correctly on these tires is 109 which is some indicator of how hard they should be, but i didnt see whether it is a D or E rated tire
Old 08-15-10, 12:48 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Which Tires Came on Your GX 460?

mine came with the crappy bridgestone duelers. reading reviews that are horrible on them. Thinking about michelin ltx m/s2 as replacements. Dont want to be skidding all over place here in the winter.
Michelin Latitude Tour HP. We just completed a 1,200 mile road trip of sustained highway driving with three occupants and their luggage. The ride was comfortable and controlled as we crossed the Allegheny Mountains on the hilly and curvy Pennsylvania Turnpike. Likewise when the road flattened and straightened in Ohio and Michigan.

The only compensation was to raise the tire pressure by one PSI to 33 PSI on all four tires the day before we departed. By the time we returned a week later, all four tires were down to 31 PSI! For daily driving around town at lower speeds and with lighter loads we maintain 32 PSI per specification, which doesn't seem to vary much with the change of seasons and temperature.

However, the Michelin Latitude Tour HP may not meet your traction requirements for winter driving. If avoiding skidding in snow is your primary concern, a M/S rated tire or even a "snow tire" may be more suitable.
Regards,

SaniDel

Last edited by SaniDel; 08-15-10 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-15-10, 02:07 PM
Craig B

I run 35 PSI in all four tires...
Old 08-15-10, 03:06 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
I run 35 PSI in all four tires...
We used to do the same on previous vehicles ... over-inflate by several PSI. Otherwise, our tires would squeal excessively when turning sharply into a parking space. No such problem with the touring tires on the GX ... the tires squeal only when one of us is doing something wrong! ;-)

I considered over-inflating for our recent road trip as it was in the middle of August with three adults and the cargo area filled with luggage. However, after threading the Pennsylvania Turnpike, including narrow tunnels, with tractor trailers in front, behind and beside ... there seemed no need to over-inflate. The Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires tracked straight and true, plus rode smooth and quiet. Other than losing 2 PSI in each tire in a week after over 1,200 miles of mostly highway driving, I'm satisfied.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. I just checked the tire sidewall and the TREADWEAR rating is 440! If I understand that correctly, these tires will wear 4.4 times longer than a 'typical' tire ... whatever that is. I suspect I will be trading the GX long before I'll need to replace the tires.
Old 08-15-10, 03:32 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

which tires do you recommend? the load rating if i remember correctly on these tires is 109 which is some indicator of how hard they should be, but i didnt see whether it is a D or E rated tire
109 is the max load and letter is R for max recommended speed (2271lbs/106mph). Michelin HP Tour I think are good tires and I am happy with ride quality. I would look for Uniform Tire Quality Grade (UTQG) when picking a tire. This tire has 440. The higher the # the longer the tire will last, but at the same time it will be harder and ride comfort will go down. Will see how many miles those will last.

Last edited by Luke27617; 08-15-10 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-17-10, 12:43 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I used to like the Bridgestone on my IS350, but these Bridgestone Duelers were so horrible that it squeak every time when you turn, feel like some cheap tires from budget shop... really want to get rid of them...

Tirerack has the Latitude Tour on the top rating, which one do you guys suggest?

Last edited by ybing; 08-17-10 at 12:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Which tires came on your gx? R U Changing them?