GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models
View Poll Results: Which tires came on your gx 460
Bridgestones
43.24%
Michelins
56.76%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Which tires came on your gx? R U Changing them?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-10, 07:43 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bigred88
My truck still at lexus. they said its a common problem with the gx460. there might be a tsb on this. Not the tires.. something wrong with the steering. 300 miles on my truck and michelin tires. Road force done twice.
I don't know if you have read the other thread on front vibrations. From my recent experience dealers do not know how to balance wheels (or don't have right equipment) which causes vibration and wheel shake. Just went to discount tire and problems are gone. Dealer even replaced couple tires blaming flat spot for not being able to balance wheels.

What exactly is happening with the steering in your case?
Old 09-02-10, 09:46 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin or Bridgestone?

I haven't picked up my GX yet so I don't really know what tires it has, however the GX they have in the showroom and the one I test drove had the Michelins, do you think mine will have the Michelin as well?
Old 09-03-10, 06:41 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

MickeyS:

There's no way to know in advance, but if you have your heart set on the Michelins, make it a condition of the sale. It's easy and reasonable to request a tire swap before the sale ... it is not after the sale as the tires are then 'used' ... as if there is such a thing as an "un-used" tire mounted on any vehicle!

As you already know that their showroom model and their demonstrator have Michelins, your dealer has a ready source of Michelin tires to swap if the GX you have ordered arrives with "non-Michelins". Don't forget to also swap the spare.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. Our dealer knows we will accept nothing but Michelins. If our GX had anything but Michelins, they did the swap before it was presented to us!

Last edited by SaniDel; 09-07-10 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-03-10, 09:52 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

It was also part of my deal, but mine came in with Michelin's.
Old 09-07-10, 05:35 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Factory Installed Bridgestone Tires

Interesting that Bridgestone does NOT claim that their tires have been approved for factory installation on any Lexus vehicles.

http://bridgestone.co.jp/english/tire/approve/
Old 09-07-10, 07:06 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Interesting that Bridgestone does NOT claim that their tires have been approved for factory installation on any Lexus vehicles.

http://bridgestone.co.jp/english/tire/approve/
well its on many other toyotas too, includign the fj and 4runner.
Old 09-28-10, 07:17 PM
sudhs
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm in the same boat as one of the users above. Haven't yet picked up my 2011 GX 460 but made a $1000 deposit. I'm due to pick up my vehicle on Oct. 15th 2010. It is at the port and has not been delivered to any Lexus dealership. When I asked my sales person 'bout which tire does my truck have, she said that there's no way to tell right now. However I did mention that I would request the tires to be changed to Michelin, if they are Bridgestone. She said that service department may require some charge to do this and also said that most of the 2010s came with Michelin. Did not put this as a sale condition BUT I've some +ve feeling that they may turn out to be Michelin. If not, and if dealer insists, I'll pay some extra and get the Michelins.
Old 09-28-10, 07:44 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by sudhs
I'm in the same boat as one of the users above. Haven't yet picked up my 2011 GX 460 but made a $1000 deposit. I'm due to pick up my vehicle on Oct. 15th 2010. It is at the port and has not been delivered to any Lexus dealership. When I asked my sales person 'bout which tire does my truck have, she said that there's no way to tell right now. However I did mention that I would request the tires to be changed to Michelin, if they are Bridgestone. She said that service department may require some charge to do this and also said that most of the 2010s came with Michelin. Did not put this as a sale condition BUT I've some +ve feeling that they may turn out to be Michelin. If not, and if dealer insists, I'll pay some extra and get the Michelins.
Deal is not closed until you pay for the vehicle. Just wait for the vehicle to arrive. If it comes with Bridgestones, request wheels swap with a different vehicle or a demo.
Old 09-29-10, 02:18 PM
Craig B

Originally Posted by Luke27617
Deal is not closed until you pay for the vehicle. Just wait for the vehicle to arrive. If it comes with Bridgestones, request wheels swap with a different vehicle or a demo.
+1, I agree...
Old 09-30-10, 09:43 AM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Michelin Latitude Tour HP, they have a nice and smooth ride. Is interesting to note that since Lexus dealers are independently owned how some vehicles differ even on tires from other dealers. One dealer in NYC which was horrible, nasty and rude had Duelers on their Gx's and my dealer had Michelins.
Old 09-30-10, 10:00 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by MickeyS
I have the Michelin Latitude Tour HP, they have a nice and smooth ride. Is interesting to note that since Lexus dealers are independently owned how some vehicles differ even on tires from other dealers. One dealer in NYC which was horrible, nasty and rude had Duelers on their Gx's and my dealer had Michelins.
Region/climate may have something to do what tires the vehicle comes with. I bought three cars while in Chicago and never got an option to get high performance tires. When moved to NC mostly what you see is high performance tires. Personally don't care about them as they do not last long.
My GX came with Michelin Latitude Tour XP, but I was not happy with them. Dealer couldn't get them balanced, two were replaced. Suprisingly they were wearing quikly too. After 5k miles the went down from 9 to 6 depth thread. Replaced them under customer satisfaction with Michelin to Michelin LTX MS2 and those feel much better.
Old 09-30-10, 12:31 PM
sudhs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Luke27617
You mean tire swap or wheel swap ?
Old 09-30-10, 12:46 PM
Craig B

It would be easier to swap wheels and tires from another vehicle. It wouldn't make sense to break down 10 wheels and tires. They would just move 5 wheels and tires from another new vehicle...
Old 09-30-10, 01:34 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

They have tried to make me switch the whole package (wheels and tires), but since I have just bought the Michelin LTX MS2, I have made them switch just wheels. Took two people couple hours to do the operation The original Michelin HP Tour that comes with the truck will not last long (mine went down from 9 to 6 within 5k miles). There is no way I will let them keep my superior tires. Check reviews on tirerack.com, LTX MS2 are no brainer as replacement.

It would be easier to swap wheels and tires from another vehicle. It wouldn't make sense to break down 10 wheels and tires. They would just move 5 wheels and tires from another new vehicle...
Just 8 wheels to do. I've let them keep the spare. Glad that I have a good local Lexus dealer. They break things, but at least they are willing to do whatever it takes to make a customer happy.

Last edited by Luke27617; 09-30-10 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-01-10, 12:07 PM
sudhs
Driver School Candidate

Hmmm.. guess i'll just have to wait for the vehicle to get here. If they have more brand new 2011s (i know they do) with them, I'll ask them to switch the wheel or else the tires. Don't wanna switch the wheels with a demo or already driven car. I know its a silly thing but that just gives me staisfaction on my end. all I'm hoping is that the dealer does not make it a big thing and 1. either not do it at all OR 2. levy a heavy charge on me for something as basic as wheel/tire change.

Per the tirerack.com the LTX MS2 is of lower value than Latitude HP Tour but the former has better reviews than the latter.

Quick Reply: Which tires came on your gx? R U Changing them?