GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Voice Guidance way too quiet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-10, 03:20 PM
depoman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voice Guidance way too quiet?

Anyone else noticed the voice guidance on the GX460 seems awfully quiet? I've tried the center and driver side settings, and I still can't hear the prompts if the radio is on or anyone's talking in the car. To the contrary, my RX loaner was near deafening when set to volume 7.

Wondering if I'm nuts or if this is a common issue for others.

Mike Miller
2010 GX460
2009 IS250
Old 04-30-10, 03:47 PM
Balooo2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by depoman
Anyone else noticed the voice guidance on the GX460 seems awfully quiet? I've tried the center and driver side settings, and I still can't hear the prompts if the radio is on or anyone's talking in the car. To the contrary, my RX loaner was near deafening when set to volume 7.

Wondering if I'm nuts or if this is a common issue for others.

Mike Miller
2010 GX460
2009 IS250
I have noticed the music volume does not drop or turn off when advising a turn etc.The nav voice plays over it (in this case under it) others have complained about this with the new RX as well, not sure if this oversight is true for all new lexus vehicles but I find it annoying also to not be able to listen to the sound system at a mid to high volume for fear of not hearing an instruction when using navigation.
I have my navigation sound set to the highest setting.

You should be able to hear it without music playing and just having a conversation...
Mine is loud enough, not so with music playing.

Lets hope there is a software fix for this...

BTW,You are not nuts navigation sound is a real issue for many next gen Lexus owners
Old 05-01-10, 07:45 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by depoman
The GX 460 does not mute the music for voice guidance although it will mute for telephone calls. So, if the music is loud enough we may not be able to hear voice prompts. Also, discussion and wind noise from open windows and the sunroof may make it hard to hear the prompts.

That being said, we do not experience this problem in our GX and we use navigation voice prompts for almost all our travels and always with the radio on and us in discussion. Perhaps the adaptive volume control may need to be turned on or off to get the necessary volume? Also, could adjusting the 'center' for the music balance make a difference, i.e., move the center away from the driver?
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. We confirm that the voice prompts on the RX were excessively loud. Perhaps Lexus has 'over-compensated' on the new GX?
Old 05-07-10, 11:58 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Mike, I duplicated your problem in our GX 460, but the solution is simple.

Buried in a sub-sub-menu of the setup screen is a preference for where the voice guidance prompts are spoken. The choices are 'Center' for the big speaker in the middle of the dashboard, which is aimed at the windshield and 'Driver' for only one speaker on the left front. I tried both options and the former sounds fine, but the latter is barely audible. With the radio on and conversations between the driver and passengers it may not be loud enough, even when set at the maximum for navigation prompts.

As my wife and I almost always drive together and we "co-drive" the GX ... think "pilot and navigator" as in an airplane ... we both need to hear the voice prompts so the 'Center' option works best for us, regardless of which of us is driving or navigating. Lexus apparently intended the 'Driver' option to discretely prompt the driver without annoying the passengers, but they may have over-succeeded ... the passengers are not annoyed, but the driver is! ;-)
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. I hesitate to mention this, but any change in preference must be saved by touching the 'Save' button or else there will be no change ...
Old 05-12-10, 06:23 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

FYI, we have the same issue with the RX's