GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Consumer Reports GX 460 safety warning (4/13 sales halted; 4/19 recall)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-10, 05:29 PM
01Snake
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nycmba
I just sent out e-mail to Lexus that I need loner car until Lexus find out the solution. if any owner wants to request something like I did today, it would help for us to get the right treatment as Lexus owner.
Overreact much?
Old 04-13-10, 05:35 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Consumer reports is FOS..... I owned the Mitsubishi Montero when they said the same thing about that truck. At the time, the only issue with the Montero was it was under-powered with a V6, never had roll issues and the truck was actually very close in comfort and ride to the GX....
Old 04-13-10, 05:35 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SaniDel
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100413/...nsumer_reports

This is good news for current owners
SaniDel
Really? A half-empty perspective is that it's bad news, like owning a house that's worth half as much as you paid for it. At least that's how I would feel right now if I owned a 2010 GX. I can well understand why some new owners would be PO-ed with this news.
Old 04-13-10, 05:56 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jugdish
Consumer reports is FOS..... I owned the Mitsubishi Montero when they said the same thing about that truck. At the time, the only issue with the Montero was it was under-powered with a V6, never had roll issues and the truck was actually very close in comfort and ride to the GX....
So the rest of the world should fall in line because of your own one person experience?

Granted this has already impacted sales. This will also impact sales for a little while. I would not trade in my 2010 GX over it as it is simply a software adjustment is all. No need to blow it too far out there. These days Lexus/Toyota needs to be on pins and needles.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 04-13-10 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-13-10, 05:59 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
Really? A half-empty perspective is that it's bad news, like owning a house that's worth half as much as you paid for it. At least that's how I would feel right now if I owned a 2010 GX. I can well understand why some new owners would be PO-ed with this news.
I respectfully disagree because of the specifics of this situation. The GX 460 is not only a new unit, but also early in the first year of production. As supply was constrained and demand was high ... recall all the GX 470s that were traded for GX 460s ... one could argue this situation makes existing units more valuable.

As I suggested to one current owner who has "lost faith" in the product, now would be a good time to sell. Those who have units on order, but are faced with an even longer wait may consider buying a low-mileage unit that is available rather than wait until Toyota completes their process. However, that process is likely to be short as it was for their other products when sales were temporarily halted, products recalled and then sales resumed.

Note also that Toyota hasn't stopped production ... only sales.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100413/...nsumer_reports

There may very well be a excess supply of the GX 460 when sales resume! Now that could drive down the value, but we won't know until this plays out. What would certainly work against current owners is for Lexus to run a GX 460 promotion when sales resume the way Toyota did ... their sales jumped more than 40% in March, but at what cost to the brand and to the value of existing units?

My point is that with a new product, constrained production, pent-up demand from early-adopters and excess attention to Toyota's public image, there are short-term market distortions, which some may exploit. Certainly, those who have a GX 460 to sell could make money ... they're the only game in town! For owners who take a long-term view, this will all be over soon, there will be little to any impact ... and we will get a free car wash and a tank of gas for our troubles! ;-)
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 04-13-10, 06:04 PM
moriarty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
There are plenty of instances where someone can find themselves in a situation beyond their control and need to rely on the 'gadgets' to protect themselves. Either you do not drive much or in a loosely populated where you do not have to be concerned with other drivers.
Though I agree that society as a whole could use a bit of a slap in terms of accepting personal responsibility, fate rarely occurs at our choosing. If you an I were driving towards each other and I swerved right into you for whatever reason, it that your fault?
These 'gadgets' do save lives-when they work.
I know that the gadgets do save lives-when they work. But honestly, if your driving towards me and swerved into me due to you needing to avoid a kid on a bike who just left the sidewalk and entered your lane then ***** happens. There are so many extenuating circumstances. Did you notice the kid on the bicycle before he darted in front of you. Probably not. Why? Because you were on the phone or texting, or reading the paper, etc.... Were you speeding? Have you maintained your vehicle well? Brakes and tires etc.., how bout that windshield, is the last time you cleaned it a couple years ago and your visibility is nada.

The fact is, and again I am not trying to take away from the issue at hand because Toyota/Lexus engineering has been slipping in my humble opinion but let me go out on a limb and say that these "conditions" that drivers face in these "emergencies" are 9 out of 10 times created by the drivers lack of attention and/or driving ability.

The same GX460 owner that would be up in arms about this "concern" and make a huge deal out if will be the same fella in his service dept at the 5K mile service complaining that he can't operate more of his Navigation while driving. Only concerned with safety if its convenient.
Old 04-13-10, 06:12 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, we are going to get different reactions ranging from outright panic to rather sanguine. I myself would feel comfortable driving a GX 460 right now, under normal conditions, but probably avoid high-speed/freeway maneuvers until a VSC software fix (as is most likely) is applied. Sales stoppage and a loaner car commitment shows they are taking this seriously--heck all those units are sitting there waiting for a fix which is almost certainly forthcoming. I wish there were better news but at least this seems to be a rectifiable situation, and hopefully they will provide good service to affected customers.
Old 04-13-10, 06:17 PM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think that GX460 is a perfectly safe vehicle to drive. It's really amazing to hear people freak out, and run to the dealer to get a loaner.

All the gadgetry is very useful in emergency situations, so I can't knock it. These safety features are also one of the reasons why we buy these cars in the first place. I would love to see anyone try this maneuver in the 1980's Land Cruiser.

Technology makes cars (SUVs) safer, when it fails or it does not function as designed, it can put us in danger. That's why we pay attention when something like this hits the news.

One thing to remember, ALL the cars and SUVs tested by CR had to undergo this exact test. Other vehicles have passed it (maybe not in flying colors). I don't think that GX460 have failed this test, rollover would have been a clear failure, I just feel that it passed poorly.

Toyota will address and fix this issue. GX460 is still an awesome SUV (even though I went with the GL450).
Old 04-13-10, 06:21 PM
un4given
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
What's the problem here?
The problem is that none of the other vehicles that do the standard test showed this. From the looks of it, the GX could not handle the speed it was going.

I am still surprised that Lexus is using solid axle out back....I doubt there would of been much of an issue if it had a independent rear suspension like the Ford Explorer or even KIA Borrego.
Old 04-13-10, 06:34 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That video was surely not doing 60 mph, I am guessing over 80 mph, and if you exiting a ramp like that... good luck,
the condition they are testing is accelerating hard, and lift off the throttle, I'm not sure how often will that be happening while you drive
normally if you are not familiar with the area, you will drive slower, and when you going to miss a exit or reacting to something happen quick, usually will hit on the brake
The test driver is intentionally making the car to slide at the very first moment, yes the VSC should engage earlier, I agree with that point, I'm not defending hard, they need to fix the VSC computer, but that test was just completely irrelevant to everyday driving

Last edited by ybing; 04-13-10 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-13-10, 07:49 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default @ YBling...

YBling:

You are missing the point. The test is NOT to replicate real world "NORMAL" situations. The test was designed as emergency manuevers, in case you see sometihng on the road and you have to swerve to avoid it, or you have to make an emergency turn because of an obstruction in front of your truck...

CR is NOT stating this is a "NORMAL" situation but rather they are saying that in unusual turns, the truck is unsafe, and they are giving it an UNSAFE to buy based on this. You can argue that just based on this one fact it isn't enough to warrant a no buy but unfortunately Toyota and others don't agree with you and that is why Toyota is now temporarily halting the sales of the GX460 trucks.

If OTHER vehicles can pass this test, the GX 460 should have been able to pass it too, especially since the GX 470 passed it without issue. Hopefully Toyota/Lexus can fix this issue soon and get the vehicle back on the market ASAP, but at least they are willing to give existing owners a LOANER car in the interim...! I would suggest taking up their offer and drive one of their loaners in the meanwhile...

I hope this makes sense for you now...?

Good luck..
Originally Posted by ybing
That video was surely not doing 60 mph, I am guessing over 80 mph, and if you exiting a ramp like that... good luck,
the condition they are testing is accelerating hard, and lift off the throttle, I'm not sure how often will that be happening while you drive
I'm not defending hard, they need to fit the VSC computer, but that test was just completely irrelevant everyday
Old 04-13-10, 08:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by lonewolf69
YBling:

You are missing the point. The test is NOT to replicate real world "NORMAL" situations. The test was designed as emergency manuevers, in case you see sometihng on the road and you have to swerve to avoid it, or you have to make an emergency turn because of an obstruction in front of your truck...

CR is NOT stating this is a "NORMAL" situation but rather they are saying that in unusual turns, the truck is unsafe, and they are giving it an UNSAFE to buy based on this. You can argue that just based on this one fact it isn't enough to warrant a no buy but unfortunately Toyota and others don't agree with you and that is why Toyota is now temporarily halting the sales of the GX460 trucks.

If OTHER vehicles can pass this test, the GX 460 should have been able to pass it too, especially since the GX 470 passed it without issue. Hopefully Toyota/Lexus can fix this issue soon and get the vehicle back on the market ASAP, but at least they are willing to give existing owners a LOANER car in the interim...! I would suggest taking up their offer and drive one of their loaners in the meanwhile...

I hope this makes sense for you now...?

Good luck..
Except when the GX470 was tested it wasn't the "in" media thing to attack Toyota/Lexus to make headlines as it is now that the GX 460 has debuted. I mean look at the video, what vehicle wouldn't look scary in that situation?

When I was in Jamaica I saw Prado's doing tricks and speeding and drifting on mountain roads and AWFUL pavement the entire time. Quite frankly I was IMPRESSED with the GX/Prado as I was unaware of its capabilities. The average magazine or American here would have pissed their pants.

Lexus already is offering loaners while they investigate and it will only add more cement to their reputation as the leader in customer satisfaction.

We live in an era where the news LIVES TO SCARE PEOPLE
-cars out of control
-runaway trains
-terrorists
-earthquakes and natural disasters
-plane crashes

etc etc

People need to wisen up and not get so scary immediately. How on EARTH would some of you have lived in the 1700s or so

Old 04-13-10, 08:34 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

^^^

This.

Don't forget lead based paint that children used to play with

The fact of the matter is they simulated a test that will likely never to occur. There is a massive bias on Toyota Corp. at this point in time. The GX is a massive truck so it will react they way it did. I am willing to say the next best GM/Ford whatever would react in the same way at the high rate of speed.

I mean, who takes an SUV ramping??
Old 04-13-10, 08:38 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Except when the GX470 was tested it wasn't the "in" media thing to attack Toyota/Lexus to make headlines as it is now that the GX 460 has debuted. I mean look at the video, what vehicle wouldn't look scary in that situation?

When I was in Jamaica I saw Prado's doing tricks and speeding and drifting on mountain roads and AWFUL pavement the entire time. Quite frankly I was IMPRESSED with the GX/Prado as I was unaware of its capabilities. The average magazine or American here would have pissed their pants.

Lexus already is offering loaners while they investigate and it will only add more cement to their reputation as the leader in customer satisfaction.

We live in an era where the news LIVES TO SCARE PEOPLE
-cars out of control
-runaway trains
-terrorists
-earthquakes and natural disasters
-plane crashes

etc etc

People need to wisen up and not get so scary immediately. How on EARTH would some of you have lived in the 1700s or so

Completely agree with above. I would worry if we would have exploding tires issue explorer had few years back.
Old 04-13-10, 09:05 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by moriarty
I know that the gadgets do save lives-when they work. But honestly, if your driving towards me and swerved into me due to you needing to avoid a kid on a bike who just left the sidewalk and entered your lane then ***** happens. There are so many extenuating circumstances. Did you notice the kid on the bicycle before he darted in front of you. Probably not. Why? Because you were on the phone or texting, or reading the paper, etc.... Were you speeding? Have you maintained your vehicle well? Brakes and tires etc.., how bout that windshield, is the last time you cleaned it a couple years ago and your visibility is nada.

The fact is, and again I am not trying to take away from the issue at hand because Toyota/Lexus engineering has been slipping in my humble opinion but let me go out on a limb and say that these "conditions" that drivers face in these "emergencies" are 9 out of 10 times created by the drivers lack of attention and/or driving ability.

The same GX460 owner that would be up in arms about this "concern" and make a huge deal out if will be the same fella in his service dept at the 5K mile service complaining that he can't operate more of his Navigation while driving. Only concerned with safety if its convenient.
But then again, so what? So what if someone was texting, reading a book, adjusting their socks........... Fact is when that moment does occur and it will to a few people here, we want the seat belt, airbags, tires, traction control, everything to be there for us. You and I can discuss other people all day long to no avail as we have NO control over how others drive or pay attention. None. This thread is not about others or personal responsibility, it is about a safety feature on a $55k vehicle that does not work as it should.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 04-13-10 at 09:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports GX 460 safety warning (4/13 sales halted; 4/19 recall)