GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Consumer Reports GX 460 safety warning (4/13 sales halted; 4/19 recall)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-10, 10:37 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ybing
Nice~ power slide on GX~
What a stupid test... who will drive like that one now road...

Not really. Apparently, the test simulates a real situation where a driver in the course of negotiating a blind turn, as they would on an entrance/exit ramp, encounters an unforeseen hazard and then quickly removes their foot from the accelerator. The test revealed that the 2010 GX is prone to a rear wheel slide in the direction of the turn. Such an occurrence could cause the rear wheel to come in contact with a curb, which could then render the vehicle prone to topple.
Old 04-13-10, 10:52 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
Not really. Apparently, the test simulates a real situation where a driver in the course of negotiating a blind turn, as they would on an entrance/exit ramp, encounters an unforeseen hazard and then quickly removes their foot from the accelerator. The test revealed that the 2010 GX is prone to a rear wheel slide in the direction of the turn. Such an occurrence could cause the rear wheel to come in contact with a curb, which could then render the vehicle prone to topple.
I drove my GX on a exit ramp which have a much bigger angle than they tested, my approach speed is 60 mph, and nothing happen.
What that film shows must be in a very hard acceleration condition to cause the back slide, that is no where near normal driving condition.
I really want to know what kind of speed they are doing on their test, which apparently is missing
Old 04-13-10, 11:29 AM
deekdeek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im with you, they don't mention the speed. I think you should post a video
Old 04-13-10, 11:45 AM
st77
Driver School Candidate

I drove my GX on a exit ramp which have a much bigger angle than they tested, my approach speed is 60 mph, and nothing happen.
What that film shows must be in a very hard acceleration condition to cause the back slide, that is no where near normal driving condition.
I really want to know what kind of speed they are doing on their test, which apparently is missing
In the test, the SUV was going over 60 miles per hour, said a Consumer Reports spokesman.

The problem was not an isolated occurrence, Love said, but occurred during tests conducted by four different Consumer Reports test drivers. To confirm the results, Consumer Reports tested a second GX 460 and found the same problem.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/04/13/auto...dex.htm?hpt=T2
Old 04-13-10, 11:51 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by st77
In the test, the SUV was going over 60 miles per hour, said a Consumer Reports spokesman.

The problem was not an isolated occurrence, Love said, but occurred during tests conducted by four different Consumer Reports test drivers. To confirm the results, Consumer Reports tested a second GX 460 and found the same problem.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/04/13/auto...dex.htm?hpt=T2
If a driver will drive a heavy SUV over 60mph on a sharp exit ramp, that means he/she will need a retest on the driver license, the video seems the car is accelerating very hard when the slide happen, so let's go do a survey, who will drive on exit ramp on full throttle?
I'm not saying the VSC don't have problem, yes, they do need to fix it, but that video was just miss leading everyone, it should said don't drive you SUV on exit ramp in extreme condition
Old 04-13-10, 01:02 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Wink

This is the same test that is performed with all over SUVs, CR didn't change teh parameters of the TEST for the GX460 (2nd gen). If the test criteria stays the same and other SUVs pass without issue, this doesn't bode well for the Gx460...

It does seem as if CR is testing hard but they do NOTE that with adjustments to the KDSS and the KDSS kicks in faster to compensate for this, then this should be a non issue.

Let's hope that Toyota/Lexus issues a simple TSD on this problem ASAP...!
Old 04-13-10, 01:05 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Default @YBling

If a driver will drive a heavy SUV over 60mph on a sharp exit ramp, that means he/she will need a retest on the driver license, the video seems the car is accelerating very hard when the slide happen, so let's go do a survey, who will drive on exit ramp on full throttle?
I'm not saying the VSC don't have problem, yes, they do need to fix it, but that video was just miss leading everyone, it should said don't drive you SUV on exit ramp in extreme condition
Please don't be so defensive about the GX460 but CR is only showing what it found. Regardless if you "feel" the test wasn't fair @ 60mph. However, CR tests other vehicles/suv with the same test and if the other vehicles pass with the same test, it shouldn't matter if the tests were performed at 60mph or 30mph because other vehicles did pass without issue including the GEN 1 GX470...
Old 04-13-10, 01:05 PM
jinnjia
Driver

In all fairness, I believe same test was conducted on all the vehicles they’ve tested and only the new GX460 was identified with such an issue, I agree normal drivers should not worry too much about it during their regular day to day driving, but many accidents do occur under rare driving conditions thus I would rather wish Lexus fix it than to leave it along…….
Old 04-13-10, 01:09 PM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, you missed the point. In the video you can see the SUV sliding because the driver LIFTED off the gas, not because he accelerated at full throttle. Any car is susceptible to this behavior regardless if it's a sedan, SUV, minivan, truck, bus, etc. It's normal for the car to offload in the rear the moment the power is gone, as all the mass of the car is shifted forward. Try this in the front wheel driven car, boy you are going to get a nasty surprise.

No one is trying to dispute that you would have to be a moron to try to execute such a turn at high rate of speed, but what if you are not familiar with the area, and can't see how sharp a turn is (like some of the nice EXIT RAMPS in NYC area, complete with multicolor bumper/body panel scraped concrete barriers), and you are cruising at or over 60MPH. This is a 'real' world scenario that CR was trying to replicate.

The conclusion: Regardless if you are excellent driver that can handle this type of situation, or a complete moron pushing the car beyond it's limits, ESC should have engaged much quicker than it did.
Old 04-13-10, 01:14 PM
jineration
Driver School Candidate

just to clarify its not called "ESC" its called "VSC" and lexus is already doing a press conference about this situation
Old 04-13-10, 01:55 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I heard from my dealer it was at 90 MPH. I don't know many people who would take an off ramp in a big SUV at 90 MPH. I will get my software upgraded when they come out with a fix, but I will continue to drive my GX and not worry about it...
Old 04-13-10, 02:38 PM
tjp74
Driver

I am so done with Toyota and Lexus. This is just one issue, no big deal but looking at their latest products and all the issues they are having now, it feels like Toyota is not trying hard to make best product as they once used to in the past but now only trying to cut costs and only interested in selling more. Their latest offerings shows. All hard plastics, feels cheap and start rattling after few hundred miles. My 2010 Prius looked great at the dealer lot, interior rattle free but just 4500miles into, it's a rattle house. Door panels so easy to scratch. Leather feels and looks like vinyl now.'

What got me into Lexus is my mother's 2001 GS430. I was impressed and that impression led me to buy GS350 in 2007. But I am afraid their latest offering is not that impressive as they used to.

I am looking to get rid of my prius and buy another used Land Rover.
I am so far extremly happy with 2010 LR4 and so glad I picked it instead of GX.

Last edited by tjp74; 04-13-10 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-13-10, 02:39 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Craig B
I heard from my dealer it was at 90 MPH. I don't know many people who would take an off ramp in a big SUV at 90 MPH. I will get my software upgraded when they come out with a fix, but I will continue to drive my GX and not worry about it...
It would be quite a scary ride if one was doing 90mph on the highway and aiming for the exit ramp. Isn't that over the speed limit for highways in the US? If you miss an exit, please get off using the next one.
Old 04-13-10, 02:59 PM
nycmba
Driver School Candidate

I just sent out e-mail to Lexus that I need loner car until Lexus find out the solution. if any owner wants to request something like I did today, it would help for us to get the right treatment as Lexus owner.
Old 04-13-10, 03:04 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

They tried to roll the car; it didn't roll.

The car obeyed the laws of physics.

What's the problem here?

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports GX 460 safety warning (4/13 sales halted; 4/19 recall)