GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Consumer Reports GX 460 safety warning (4/13 sales halted; 4/19 recall)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-10, 10:05 AM
Mike450h
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What sucks, is the morons at CR have enough credibility with the public at this point, they can put a NO BUY rating on something, and people wont buy it based on what they recommend. I for one am done with CR, they have ZERO credibility with me.

Saw an interview with the editor of CR yesterday, he was all smiles about the GX BS test talking about how Toyota was able to duplicate the test.....Just as proud as he could be! MORON! Why wouldn't they be able to? Even with traction control you can recreate that same slide in any SUV.
Old 04-18-10, 10:38 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

Consumer Reports has absolutely nothing to do with General Motors, in fact few of GM's products are even recommended by CR. The fact that some people apparently choose to conflate those two entities is just folly on their part.

The real problem here, the root problem, is NOT that electronics have advanced to the point where they can save an inept drivers *** when he (or she) does something stupid (or fun ) but the expectation on the part of testers, especially watchdog testers like CR, to assume that every system on every car has to be programmed to remove every possible risk that is withing the electronics ability to remove in a uniform way or it is "Dangerous" and must be taken off the market.

Just remember Consumer Reports is the same organization that was willing to go outside the parameters of an existing test speed to, essentially, create a rollover incident with the Suzuki Samarii that had passed the test when it was done normally. CR loves the grandstanding play and media attention, every single SUV on the planet would slide like this prior to ABS and stability control becoming commonplace. The concept that you could go into a corner at an excessive speed nail the brakes and make a car spin/slide is only a surprise to those who have never driven without electronic band aids.

Last edited by CRB; 04-18-10 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-18-10, 11:24 AM
Mike450h
Driver

Originally Posted by CRB
Consumer Reports has absolutely nothing to do with General Motors, in fact few of GM's products are even recommended by CR. The fact that some people apparently choose to conflate those two entities is just folly on their part.

The real problem here, the root problem, is NOT that electronics have advanced to the point where they can save an inept drivers *** when he (or she) does something stupid (or fun ) but the expectation on the part of testers, especially watchdog testers like CR, to assume that every system on every car has to be programmed to remove every possible risk that is withing the electronics ability to remove in a uniform way or it is "Dangerous" and must be taken off the market.

Just remember Consumer Reports is the same organization that was willing to go outside the parameters of an existing test speed to, essentially, create a rollover incident with the Suzuki Samarii that had passed the test when it was done normally. CR loves the grandstanding play and media attention, every single SUV on the planet would slide like this prior to ABS and stability control becoming commonplace. The concept that you could go into a corner at an excessive speed nail the brakes and make a car spin/slide is only a surprise to those who have never driven without electronic band aids.

I agree with you. The simple fact is, even with electronic aids, you cannot defy the laws of physics. Take a 4000 lb SUV with a higher centre of gravity than, O....say a Corvette, even if you have the fastest reacting traction control system on the planet, the SUV is going to get fairly out of shape and want to tend to display roll over characteristics. I have a GS 450h and I can tell you, travelling at 55 mph, and turn right as fast as I can.... ( don't try this at home) the car even with traction control on, gets very sideways, out of shape....if I raised the car up to SUV hight it would desplay the same traits as the GX.

Last edited by Mike450h; 04-18-10 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-19-10, 09:23 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanz
Typical CR...I bought a dishwasher and fridge based on their ratings and I have never purchased worse garbage in my life. I wanted to go back to the landfill and get my appliances from 1993 back.
^^ TRUE. And if you look at on-line reviews from real-world users you'll see TONS of people who have had the same experience: purchased something that CR rated highly, but it turns out to be a piece of junk. I wouldn't pay them for a subscription to their magazine (which, BTW, is the PRODUCT that they sell just like Toyota sells vehicles), but if I see one of their reviews I'll consider what they say and judge it for myself, but I won't take their word for much of anything.
Old 04-19-10, 11:48 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Recall

Washington -- Toyota Motor Corp. this afternoon will announce a recall of its 2010 Lexus GX 460, after it suspended sales last week on the heels of a rare "Don't Buy" rating from Consumer Reports.

Last week, Toyota was able to replicate a test conducted by the influential magazine that raised rollover concerns on the luxury SUV.

The recall of about 5,000 vehicles is expected to include a software upgrade to address concerns about the electronic stability control; another 1,000 affected vehicles were sold outside the country.

The company stopped production of the vehicle in Japan through April 28 and suspended sales worldwide.

Today's recall follows Friday's call-back of nearly 600,000 1998-2010 Sienna minivans to address potential corrosion in the spare tire carrier cable in cold weather states.
Old 04-19-10, 12:17 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Please redirect your comments to the new thread, as a voluntary recall has been issued for a VSC software update. Thanks.

New thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-of-april.html

Last edited by encore888; 04-19-10 at 01:14 PM. Reason: add link