GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Winter tire or snow chain

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-16, 10:55 PM
bgibgi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Snow chains for 2016 Lexus GX460

Hi! Looking for snow chain recommendation for occasional use please. On my X5 I had to use some sort of snow links. Is it the same with GX460 ?

2016 Lexus GX460

Many thanks in advance,
Old 11-28-16, 08:14 PM
Namelus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Refer to Manual

Hey bgibgi,

I am thinking of doing off road driving in the Canadian Rockies this winter and to find the best requirements I followed the manual for my GX460. The dimensions and chain type is all listed in the manual. I have yet to purchase chains but if someone else has purchased them a review on your chains would be much appreciated!
Old 01-20-18, 03:17 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts
Default Tire chains...

Well if I am ever in any hardcore snow and ice the vehicle can't handle I picked up chains for all 4 wheels a few weeks back. I like to be over-prepared. :-)

I'd like to have a WARN winch on there but maybe down the road as aftermarket continues to catch up with the 460.

I figure between these and the Wyeth-Scott come along I should have a chance if I get stuck.

Old 01-20-18, 04:20 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

I have considered getting chains just to be prepared for the worst. Not sure if I can make chains work on my 22s with the low profile tire though. People laugh at us down here in Georgia when we get snow and go into panic mode. Problem here is the temperature fluctuation, it will rain during the day and then freeze at night with snow so now we have ice under the snow. Next day the sun comes out and temps go up so the snow melts and then freezes over night. No matter how confident I am with controlling my GX I am more concerned with other cars sliding into me.
The following users liked this post:
GB2011GX (01-22-18)
Old 01-20-18, 04:35 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Yeah... they say the same about Western Washington drivers.... when it does snow here it is really wet sloppy snow on very steep hills. I'd much rather drive on deep dry snow than any depth wet stuff.

Originally Posted by tecman
I have considered getting chains just to be prepared for the worst. Not sure if I can make chains work on my 22s with the low profile tire though. People laugh at us down here in Georgia when we get snow and go into panic mode. Problem here is the temperature fluctuation, it will rain during the day and then freeze at night with snow so now we have ice under the snow. Next day the sun comes out and temps go up so the snow melts and then freezes over night. No matter how confident I am with controlling my GX I am more concerned with other cars sliding into me.
Old 09-17-18, 04:19 PM
psun786
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Winter tire or snow chain for Lake Tahoe & Mammoth?

I am planning to take 2~3 trips to Lake Tahoe / Mammoth this winter season. Each stay should be around a week. Should I get dedicated winter tires or carry snow chain with all season tire would just do fine? Thanks
Old 09-17-18, 07:53 PM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Its not worth the headache if you live somewhere warm in California. All terrains will get you pretty far in the GX, but always have chains, they are much easier and cheaper in the long run unless you live somewhere cold.
psun786 (09-17-18)
Old 09-18-18, 12:04 PM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

Unless you live in the area it is not worth getting snow tires and all season tires do fine under reasonable winter conditions. I would throw a chain into the trunk just in case. We have done several trips to NM with the stock tire and never had an issue.
psun786 (09-18-18)
Old 09-18-18, 12:11 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

If you're still on OEM tires, you're fine. Tahoe area usually plow them pretty quick and if the roads ever get too much snow, they will shut down the roads before requiring chains on 4WD.
psun786 (09-18-18)
Old 09-18-18, 12:42 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Agree with statements above....

Only reason I put snows on mine in the winter is I am in a pass with snow and ice almost every weekend in winter and we also have a lot of cold rain here in Western Washington. Cabin is also snowbound in winter. I wouldn't considered snows myself if I never went into the mountains. I also keep a set of front and rear tire chains onboard, a come along and while I could now take along my pair of Tred Pros... these compact Go Treads fold up nicely and have a lifetime warranty.

https://gotreads.com/

They appear to have a military contract as well.

Last edited by Acrad; 09-18-18 at 02:03 PM.
psun786 (09-18-18)
Old 09-18-18, 01:51 PM
psun786
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks. Can anyone recommend me a good set tire chain / cable for OEM tires? Dealer had me signed a snow chain waiver so I am worried if they cause damage to the car.
Old 09-18-18, 01:57 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Are you traveling through areas that would require chains on a 4WD/AWD vehicle?

In WA state for example...even when chains are required AWD/4WD are exempt from the requirement. Only seen a couple short instances in the last 20 years during an ice storm when they required on AWD/4WD.

I bought these for mine

Amazon Amazon

Sizing chart
Old 09-18-18, 02:00 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

On a side note... if you install the Multi Terrain Select (MTS) module the Mud and Sand Mode will work in default 4H as long as you engage below 7MPH or so. I got a chance to try this out on a mountain pass last winter and it did add some noticeable stability & traction on the snow & ice. That module is plug and play.
Old 09-18-18, 09:19 PM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

@acrad, curious, why do you use chains instead of cables? I used cables on my old 2x4 ranger in the snow and it handled amazing, when we hit the asphalt it was smooth driving until we were able to stop and remove them.
Old 09-19-18, 09:09 AM
KJ6IRM
Rookie

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd look into RUD chains. They are easier to install and have a better pattern for traction than ladder style chains. http://web.rud.com/en-us/products/snow-chains/llkw.html.

Also, look for the M+S on the sidewall of your tires. If you have this, then you are good to go without installing chains (note that you are still required by law to carry chains with you) up to R2 road conditions in California. The M+S or Mud and Snow states that they are a snow tire. Even better if your tires have the mountain and snowflake symbol on them.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cttravel/chain-controls.html
R1 snow tires installed
R2 chains required except 4x4/AWD with snow tires
R3 chains required no exceptions.

Usually roads are closed before R3 is implemented in CA, I think I've only seen R3 conditions once in the last 20 years of driving to the local socal mountains and Mammoth.

Last edited by KJ6IRM; 09-19-18 at 09:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Winter tire or snow chain