GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Welcome to Club Lexus! GX460 owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-18, 09:14 AM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadDawg
Nightfall Mica is a lovely color. Congrats!
Thanks! Have yet to see another one on the road!
Old 12-18-18, 09:58 AM
Bshore08
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New Owner - 2019 GX 460 Premium

New member here...long time lurker, researcher, first time posting

day 1 - soccer mom ready

265 / 65 r18

side by side (no rim on all terrain)

what a difference

smiling

exhaust tip (debadged afterwards)

Pulled the trigger on a new 2019 GX 460
Grey exterior, Black Interior
Got an insane deal through a good friend + factory cash incentives etc etc $46,xxx before tax and license

Sold a beautiful built 2001 Cherokee and turned in my Lexus IS200t to downsize to 1 car and could not be happier. The GX is everything

So far-
Full limo tint all around, light on windshield
Debadged "gx 460"
Exhaust tip (ridiculous its not standard)
Stock Rims powder coated gloss black
265 / 65 R18 Falken Wildpeak (no rubbing issues) (stock bridgestones for sale, 352 miles on them)
**Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform (waiting in the garage to install asap)
The following 2 users liked this post by Bshore08:
MP692 (02-18-19), SigEpGX460 (12-18-18)
Old 12-18-18, 10:08 AM
SigEpGX460
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Bshore08 - Welcome! Just wanted to say thanks for the side by side comparison of the tires. Lots of tire pics on the site but most also swap out the rims as well. Nice to see the larger set on factory rims.

Quick question - did you also swap out the spare tire? Wondering if there were any fitment issues putting the 265/65/18 up there.

Also - Did you have to replace the front wheel well screw to a flat head to avoid rubbing issues? I had read that some members needed to swap out that screw to avoid rubbing on certain turns.

Thanks.
Old 12-18-18, 10:33 AM
Bshore08
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SigEpGX460
Bshore08 - Welcome! Just wanted to say thanks for the side by side comparison of the tires. Lots of tire pics on the site but most also swap out the rims as well. Nice to see the larger set on factory rims.

Quick question - did you also swap out the spare tire? Wondering if there were any fitment issues putting the 265/65/18 up there.

Also - Did you have to replace the front wheel well screw to a flat head to avoid rubbing issues? I had read that some members needed to swap out that screw to avoid rubbing on certain turns.

Thanks.

I haven’t attempted the spare tire yet. From everything I have read it sounds like it’ll be a very tight squeeze, even with this small jump. I have the stock rim and tire under there still. If I get a flat around town, I’m sure it won’t ruin my car for a few miles or call AAA and flatbed it somewhere...that’s why I pay for that right?

And no wheel well rubbing whatsoever with everything stock. I didn’t change out or alter the screw. That’s why I went with 265/65R18
Everything I’ve read from 275/65R18 and larger seems to rub here or there. I have a friend that went 275/65R18 and just heather and hammered the screw in. He claims it rubs “sometimes” which I why I went the safe route

The other consideration is rims....lots of homework to do even if they are still 18”, different off sets and widths and all those factors change every dynamic. Which is again while I stayed stock rims and safe tire size. It drives like a dream, looks mean but still flies under the radar
Old 12-19-18, 07:17 AM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

@Bshore08 awesome upgrades - really like what you did with the rims. I had started looking into powder coating as an option. How durable is it supposed to be? How long did yours take?
Old 12-19-18, 07:44 AM
Bshore08
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EXP_Cougar
@Bshore08 awesome upgrades - really like what you did with the rims. I had started looking into powder coating as an option. How durable is it supposed to be? How long did yours take?
Thank you. Powdercoat is very very very durable when applied correctly. I’ve done 11 cars and only had an issue on one. They did a crap prep job. Wheels were originally chrome
and they didn’t sandblast it down to the metal
other than that, our stock silver wheels are basically just powdercoated as well. If you curb your wheels, scratch them off road etc then of course they are going to scratch up the same as a stock wheel.
I have a couple options in my area. One place offers a same day service, drop off in the AM they work with a tire shop next door and remove, mount balance etc so you should pick it up ready to drive. Their quality is hit and miss so I tried a new shop. They had the wheels Friday-Wednesday but luckily had a set of GX wheels in the back they out on in the mean time

The center caps are plastic so those will need to be painted / sprayed as they can’t be powdercoated. The Lexus emblem pop out the back and I chose to leave those chrome
Old 12-20-18, 02:10 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Thanks for the summary! Will definitely do some research and see what my options are in the Houston area.
Old 12-26-18, 04:47 PM
Ltrapper
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie to the Lexus club

Bought a used 2012 Lexus GX 460 Premium with navigation not sure of all the options but I like the fact that it has a receiver hitch. I'm excited on getting started with a few mods.
Old 12-27-18, 05:30 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Ltrapper
Bought a used 2012 Lexus GX 460 Premium with navigation not sure of all the options but I like the fact that it has a receiver hitch. I'm excited on getting started with a few mods.
Congratulations!
The following users liked this post:
Ltrapper (12-27-18)
Old 12-27-18, 07:47 AM
Agarakon
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New to Lexus

We just purchased a 2010 Lexus GX 460 Premium with Navigation and ML sound. It is Claret Mica with beige interior. Mileage is at 100,000, and we paid $19,000 for the truck.

I look forward to all the DIY tips and learning more about this amazing SUV.

I am trying to locate a FSM for this truck in PDF format if anyone has a download link. I like turning my own wrenches.

Last edited by Agarakon; 12-27-18 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-28-18, 11:10 AM
Greenbow
Rookie

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts
Default New owner of an 11 Premium in Starfire Pearl

Long time lurker, first time poster. Just purchased a rust free Texas Premium 11 with the Driver Assist package, the awesomest wheels you ever seen (lol) and 82k miles on the meter. Happy to be here and look forward to learning and contributing.

Meet Kiichiro
Old 12-28-18, 11:17 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

I'd be hitting up CL and eBay for OEM wheels ASAP! Great color though... I wish mine was white!
The following users liked this post:
Greenbow (12-28-18)
Old 12-28-18, 11:21 AM
Greenbow
Rookie

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts

Way ahead of you @Romanova . I'm thinking the F Sports or aftermarket.
Old 01-13-19, 09:25 AM
Morazak7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

I've been lurking for a few months (even longer in the 470 section) over here and finally able to post in this thread! I just picked up my '12 GX460 Premium yesterday morning in Atlantic City, NJ. I promptly drove it 6 hours south to my home in Richmond, VA. The truck moves lovely. Has a few quirks that I need to work out to make it perfect. On to the truck, its a 2012 GX460 Premium w/ 103k. Every documented service from 10 miles to 100k in the drivers portal. It also has the [problematic?] water pump replaced @ 99k miles.

My immediate plans is to throw on a set of more aggressive tread tire on. Can anyone recommend a good All-Terrain w/ good road manners? Heard good things about the Wild Peaks. Not too sure what I'll do after that since the truck is very capable in stock form and I mainly bought it to serve as reliable, comfortable transportation from Richmond, VA to Cincinnati, OH for my newborns surgeries over the next year or 2.

Heres a few pics of when I was at the dealer. Haven't gotten any more snaps just yet courtesy of this mid-A snow "storm."

Old 01-13-19, 09:29 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

Saw your post of the GXOR group... welcome to the forum. Again, great pick up! Enjoy it!

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! GX460 owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE