GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models
View Poll Results: Which exterior do you like better?
1g - GX470
38.18%
2g - GX460
61.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

1g or 2g - which exterior do you like better?

Old 01-31-10, 07:03 PM
jo8923
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1g or 2g - which exterior do you like better?

They have a poll like this in the 1st gen forum, so I was curious how the results would vary.

Last edited by jo8923; 02-01-10 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-31-10, 10:32 PM
Chi-town
Pole Position

Default 1g gx 460

Always been a fan of the 1G. Its design still looks good and could have lasted a few more years IMHO. The 2G looks to much like its Toyota variant. Wish Lexus would have stuck quality materials in the Prado and sold it as a Lexus.
Old 02-01-10, 03:35 PM
jo8923
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Chi-town
Always been a fan of the 1G. Its design still looks good and could have lasted a few more years IMHO. The 2G looks to much like its Toyota variant. Wish Lexus would have stuck quality materials in the Prado and sold it as a Lexus.
Wait, you said you think the gx looks too much like the toyota, but you wish lexus sold the prado as a lexus? I'm confused...
Old 02-01-10, 03:43 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I like both vehicles but i'd have to give it up to the 2nd gen as my current favorite.
Old 02-01-10, 03:58 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Both cars look similar to me, especially the side profile. Although I have seen the GX 460 only twice, and one time in the open street only, and thought at first it was the GX 470 (from the side).
Old 02-01-10, 06:24 PM
dgsvt
Driver

I posted that I like the 2nd gen. At first I didn't like it, but it has grown on me the more I see it.
Old 02-01-10, 07:12 PM
Chi-town
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jo8923
Wait, you said you think the gx looks too much like the toyota, but you wish lexus sold the prado as a lexus? I'm confused...
Since Lexus went there... Yes, if I had the choice I would choose the exterior of the Toyota Prado rebadged as a Lexus over the current GX 460 exterior. I'd take that and quality materials (i.e. real aluminum, more leather, better quality carpet, more color choices and combinations, bigger wheels (more choices (at least (3)), etc.).

Lexus intentionally made the GX "less" so that it didn't step on the toes of the LX 570. Besides the overall "design" and interior, it pisses me off that Lexus skimped out on the horsepower (hp) (the GX has 6 more hp than the RX 450h...). The Prado "appropriately" dressed up and adequately powered would have done just fine.
Old 02-01-10, 07:37 PM
xswl0931
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree that the Prado front looks better than the new GX front, especially the bumper area.
Old 02-01-10, 07:40 PM
jo8923
Driver School Candidate

Lexus intentionally made the GX "less" so that it didn't step on the toes of the LX 570. Besides the overall "design" and interior, it pisses me off that Lexus skimped out on the horsepower (hp) (the GX has 6 more hp than the RX 450h...). The Prado "appropriately" dressed up and adequately powered would have done just fine.
Fair points, but you have to consider the huge torque advantage that the GX has over the RX - 329 vs 257. HP isn't everything, and the GX V8 is far more capable than a hybrid V6.

Originally Posted by xswl0931
I have to agree that the Prado front looks better than the new GX front, especially the bumper area.
I agree on the bumper; I feel that's the one major place lexus screwed up
Old 02-02-10, 01:20 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I disagree with many here. The 1G looks more like a Toyota than the 2G, because the 1G pretty much is a Toyota. The 1G always was, and always will be a rebadged Toyota Prado. Virtually identical exterior and interior to the Toyota Prado.

The 2G now has it's own different exterior and totally different interior.

I've seen a few complain about the increased price of the 2G. Even though many are ignoring the fact that the 2G has KDSS standard (among a long list of other standard features the base 1G does not have), with the 1G you always got a Toyota interior. With the 2G, the interior quality and design is improved in many ways and you actually get a Lexus interior.

Since Lexus went there... Yes, if I had the choice I would choose the exterior of the Toyota Prado rebadged as a Lexus over the current GX 460 exterior. I'd take that and quality materials (i.e. real aluminum, more leather, better quality carpet, more color choices and combinations, bigger wheels (more choices (at least (3)), etc.).

Most, if not all GX competitors lack leather everywhere. Have you been inside the Mercedes ML interior, or perhaps the Land Rover LR4 interior? To get a full leather interior in a Land Rover, you need to move up to a Range Rover loaded with options. The LR4 and Benz ML do not have any leather on the dashboard, while the new GX does. Even a loaded Benz ML does not have leather on the dashboard. The ML and LR4 have a tiny bit of aluminum trim, so what? The GX has more wood trim than either the LR4 or ML, plus more leather.

IMHO you're asking for a bit too much considering the class the GX is in. You would have a point with the Lexus LX as that is the flagship Lexus SUV, but not the GX.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 02-02-10 at 01:51 AM.
Old 02-02-10, 01:29 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Here are some pics I took of a 1st gen with the 2nd gen GX460 Premium that I was driving around with Agent001 of Autospies. We both were on the lookout for a 1st gen GX to park next to. Low and behold, we got to the parking lot of The Lodge @ Torrey Pines and found an open spot next to one.

Old 02-02-10, 01:53 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Good pictures to use as an example. As always with Lexus, it's in the details. The small exterior details are what makes the 2GX look like a real Lexus, while it is the small details that make the 1GX look like a Toyota.
Old 02-02-10, 02:37 AM
Chi-town
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I disagree with many here. The 1G looks more like a Toyota than the 2G, because the 1G pretty much is a Toyota. The 1G always was, and always will be a rebadged Toyota Prado. Virtually identical exterior and interior to the Toyota Prado.

The 2G now has it's own different exterior and totally different interior.

I've seen a few complain about the increased price of the 2G. Even though many are ignoring the fact that the 2G has KDSS standard (among a long list of other standard features the base 1G does not have), with the 1G you always got a Toyota interior. With the 2G, the interior quality and design is improved in many ways and you actually get a Lexus interior.

Most, if not all GX competitors lack leather everywhere. Have you been inside the Mercedes ML interior, or perhaps the Land Rover LR4 interior? To get a full leather interior in a Land Rover, you need to move up to a Range Rover loaded with options. The LR4 and Benz ML do not have any leather on the dashboard, while the new GX does. Even a loaded Benz ML does not have leather on the dashboard. The ML and LR4 have a tiny bit of aluminum trim, so what? The GX has more wood trim than either the LR4 or ML, plus more leather.

IMHO you're asking for a bit too much considering the class the GX is in. You would have a point with the Lexus LX as that is the flagship Lexus SUV, but not the GX.
You must be joking right? I checked the printout and brochure for the 2010 GX, I do not think that we are comparing apples to apples here. I'll give you the ML (in my book it is not a player) the GL or Q7 would be the better suitors. Facts are: the GX does not have leather on the dash (must be an option in Canada?) With the extended leather package, you can get leather on the dash and upper armrests in the LR4. (likewise, must not be an option...?)

The GX is very well equipped. It drives and handles quite well. Seems like a very capable vehicle; just wish that Lexus could have included a few more choice items is all...maybe next time round.
Old 02-02-10, 03:08 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I just noticed the LR4 does in-fact offer leather on the dash. The Land Rover USA site is very lacking in information and detailed photos. The website does not even mention if the interior has aluminum trim. The Benz GL is in a different price range than the GX, the two should not be compared. The Q7 is a good comparison, and that too does not have a leather dash.

Here are pics from the Lexus USA website:

The GX dash is not entirely leather obviously, but you can see a part of the dash is leather above the glovebox, and along the entire length of the center console on both sides you can see leather as well.

Considering the very high amount of technology standard in the new GX, adding more premium interior materials would have raised the cost. The new GX is already a noticeable jump in base price compared to the old GX.
Old 02-02-10, 05:00 AM
jo8923
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flipside909
Here are some pics I took of a 1st gen with the 2nd gen GX460 Premium that I was driving around with Agent001 of Autospies. We both were on the lookout for a 1st gen GX to park next to. Low and behold, we got to the parking lot of The Lodge @ Torrey Pines and found an open spot next to one.

These pics show a lot of improvements, like the much cleaner rear end and the absence of the tacky V8 badge, but i'm really disappointed in the cost-cutting of the tail-pipe, which i just noticed.

Still, the new GX is really growing on me and looks worlds better than the old.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1g or 2g - which exterior do you like better?