GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Why the side-swinging rear door?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-10, 10:37 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jo8923
But the 4runner is shorter/lower than the GX, as are many other SUV's. Of the SUV's that are the GX's height and are body-on-frame, many are wider.
The 4runner is only about 2 inches shorter than the GX and length is almost identical.
Old 02-09-10, 12:04 AM
LexFather

Out of curiousity what other SUVs have this swing door arrangement?
Old 02-09-10, 01:07 AM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Off the top of my head I can think of the Merc G Class and Mitsubishi Pajero (Montero).
Old 02-09-10, 01:52 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rav 4 and FJ cruiser
Old 02-09-10, 06:23 AM
dgsvt
Driver

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Rav 4 and FJ cruiser
I believe the FJ cruiser swing door swings to the left (away from the sidewalk) all other Toyota swing doors swing to the right? Is the FJ cruiser sold in other countries that have right hand drive? Why would Toyota make the barn door open to the right on all the swing door models, but on only 1 product make it swing to the left? Could it be that the FJ cruiser is only sold in left hand drive countries?
Old 02-09-10, 10:37 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

the older landrover disco

I wonder if alot of owners complained about it that they changed it in the new disco/LR3.

I didn't mind the barn door. However, the powered lift is perfect as a rain cover and easy to open/close with the remote in your hand

What I don't like is non-powered rear window roll down unlike the 4 runner

Old 02-09-10, 11:05 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I didn't mind the barn door.
I prefer the barn door and I prefer it hinged on the passenger side, so I'm happy with the new GX layout.
Old 03-04-10, 10:48 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think when you want to load so small stuff and don't want to use the window, you can just open the door a little bit, for a lift door it will need to do a full swing, so if someone park close to you, you can't open a lift door either; however, I also don't understand why not using a power lift door, maybe to save some weight? or don't want the GX function as LX, because some feature like air suspension only at the rear is too avoid it preform like LX.

but I live in Vegas, parking lot are huge, so... the door is not a big deal for me, and i prefer the look of a single piece back door, I don't like there is a line in the middle of the door like the LX
Old 03-14-10, 01:26 PM
joaco
Driver

Originally Posted by JimsGX
I bet there's a Prado Users Forum thread out there somwhere complaining about why Toyota can't put the spare tire under the vehicle instead of hanging it off the rear door. "They can put the spare under the car on the GX, why not on the Prado!?"
The main reason the Prados have the spare tire on the dooor is because they have an aux gas tank in its place. I drive a 2009 Prado here in Kuwait and like 95% of all 3 & 5 doors Prados here have the spare tire mounted in the door.
The following users liked this post:
leeak (10-02-22)
Old 03-14-10, 04:07 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

This is a dumb move on Lexus' part for not offering a lift up hatch...heck, if the Toyota 4runner which come out of the same assembly line can have a lift up hatch then why can't Lexus
Old 03-14-10, 04:13 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

My wife loves the barn door as she is short. Personally not a big fan, but after all don't care that much as how often do you really open it.
Old 03-14-10, 04:28 PM
xswl0931
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Luke27617
My wife loves the barn door as she is short. Personally not a big fan, but after all don't care that much as how often do you really open it.
Short or not, if the GX had a lift gate, it would likely be powered to open/close on a button push (RX already has this) which I would say is easier than a manual barn door.
Old 03-14-10, 04:48 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by xswl0931
Short or not, if the GX had a lift gate, it would likely be powered to open/close on a button push (RX already has this) which I would say is easier than a manual barn door.
Agree! Couple things which suprise me on my GX are
- halogen headlights instead of HID (come on it is +50k car). I wii add a conversion kit, but I shouldn't have to do that.
- useless third row seating which when flat eats space since the floor in the cargo area is higher.
Old 03-14-10, 08:50 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke27617
Agree! Couple things which suprise me on my GX are
- halogen headlights instead of HID (come on it is +50k car). I wii add a conversion kit, but I shouldn't have to do that.
- useless third row seating which when flat eats space since the floor in the cargo area is higher.
get the premium will be HID~
let's be honest, how many SUV in this size that had a third row that will fit a big adult for long trip? It is design to temp use~
Old 04-13-10, 01:36 PM
jineration
Driver School Candidate

Okay here is the real reason why the GX has the barn door is mainly because of the head room if you look at it. Since all of you are comparing it to all the other SUVs its has a third row seat considering the size of this suv if it has the lift up hatch the hinges for the top and the automatic motor for the litfting and closing would interfere with the people who sit in the last row.....Just imagine how your neck would be if the RX had a third row seat in it. So since the GX has the hinges on the side this allows more headroom for the people in the last row...I only know this cause i asked the same question that yall are asking to the lexus representive that came to a dealership to unviel and answer any question that we had about the newly designed GX.. i know that the LX has a third row and a lift gate too but it is sooo much bigger then the GX.... i hope that his answers this threads question

Quick Reply: Why the side-swinging rear door?