GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Why the side-swinging rear door?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-18, 04:21 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Ha, I have been amused when I have the truck washed and see them run their hand around the door. Sometimes they find the release and sometimes they give up and I will step in to show them where the release is.

Originally Posted by Hrocks
Now this will sound very elitist, but the only "real" drawback with the barn door is when you pull up to the bag drop and the bagboy/girl stares at the door wondering how to open it. The girls are a quicker study!
Old 03-06-18, 10:35 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
Ha, I have been amused when I have the truck washed and see them run their hand around the door. Sometimes they find the release and sometimes they give up and I will step in to show them where the release is.

That and the rear window release always gets them.
Old 03-20-18, 05:18 PM
pintohorse
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is why the swinging rear door

Originally Posted by akfd
I think the swing door is inconvenient when there is very little space between the rear and whatever is behind it. Think about it: if some guy at a shopping mall parks too close to the rear of your GX, how on Earth are you going to open the door to put in your newly-bought bookshelf? My example might be a bit exaggerated, but you get the idea. Unless you have long arms and can reach down to the trunk by opening the rear flip-up window, the rear door must be open to put in even the lightest and small bag of groceries you do at the supermarket.

Lexus explained to me that the reason for the swing out rear door is that they do not have enough room above the third row seat to place the motor for the door to be lifted vertically as it would interfere with the head of anyone sitting in the third row. So, instead of lengthening the vehicle. eliminating the third row seating, or eliminating the motor, they went with the swing out door. This is a deal breaker for me. I live where it rains and snows. I need the shelter of a door that lifts up. I do not have enough space in my garage to swing the door out and I do not want to be trying to access the rear with someone parked behind me or trying to load from the curb and have to go around the door. To me, it was a dumb decision. I will buy from a different manufacturer although I like everything else. I could cope with no motor. I also do not like it when you have to accept the third row seat. To me, and many others, it is a waste of money and takes up space. There should be an option to eliminate it. To add third row seating in a 16 foot vehicle is stupid. Make the vehicle with a vertical door. Either lengthen the vehicle, eliminate the motor, or take out the seat!
Pintohorse 3.20.2018
Old 03-20-18, 05:30 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by pintohorse
Lexus explained to me that the reason for the swing out rear door is that they do not have enough room above the third row seat to place the motor for the door to be lifted vertically as it would interfere with the head of anyone sitting in the third row. So, instead of lengthening the vehicle. eliminating the third row seating, or eliminating the motor, they went with the swing out door. This is a deal breaker for me. I live where it rains and snows. I need the shelter of a door that lifts up. I do not have enough space in my garage to swing the door out and I do not want to be trying to access the rear with someone parked behind me or trying to load from the curb and have to go around the door. To me, it was a dumb decision. I will buy from a different manufacturer although I like everything else. I could cope with no motor. I also do not like it when you have to accept the third row seat. To me, and many others, it is a waste of money and takes up space. There should be an option to eliminate it. To add third row seating in a 16 foot vehicle is stupid. Make the vehicle with a vertical door. Either lengthen the vehicle, eliminate the motor, or take out the seat!
Pintohorse 3.20.2018
New theory on this that I have not heard. Simple overhead shocks would not require a motor.
Old 03-20-18, 05:41 PM
pintohorse
Driver School Candidate

New theory on this that I have not heard. Simple overhead shocks would not require a motor.
True, but they can think only of having a motor!
Old 03-20-18, 05:58 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

That is because whatever dealer told him or her that was simply making up an excuse because they didn't want to, or could not, explain that the GX 460 is basically a rebadged Toyota that is sold in other markets and Toyota was not going to invest the resources in creating an entirely new rear door because it would eat into their profits.

The GX was not designed with the rear door in mind. The Prado was. The GX was designed to extract maximum profitability from a vehicle that Toyota already made. (I'll also go on record again saying that I love the rear door and find it much easier to access than a lift gate in tight areas, especially when there is no clearance behind the car. Being able to open the rear door slightly and reach in is much more effective than having to park far enough forward to allow the lift gate to fully open.)
The following users liked this post:
John00 (04-20-19)
Old 03-20-18, 06:02 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Then again, why swing door can not have a motor too? I am not particularly hate swing door, in fact, like it from time to time, but if could have a powered open/close function would be even better.
Old 03-20-18, 06:06 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
Then again, why swing door can not have a motor too? I am not particularly hate swing door, in fact, like it from time to time, but if could have a powered open/close function would be even better.
I'm surprised it doesn't at least have the soft close function that the 4Runner has (or had) for its lift gate. All you had to do was lightly place it against the latch and it closed the rest of the way itself.
Old 03-20-18, 06:17 PM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bd5400

I'm surprised it doesn't at least have the soft close function that the 4Runner has (or had) for its lift gate. All you had to do was lightly place it against the latch and it closed the rest of the way itself.
I totally agree with you and hzhao, they should motorize that barn door. I dont understand why skip that out while offering powered 3rd row seat! Soft close on all doors is another thing I would like Lexus to offer on the GX. Its a luxury SUV that costs $50K -$70K, definitely not cheap
Old 03-20-18, 06:44 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by jo8923
Hi all! I'm new here and had a question.

First off, let me say I really love the new gx, as well as the old one, and hope to purchase one soon, and the side-swinging door does NOT bother me. I just noticed that a lot of people are bothered by it.

So why would toyota make the rear door side-swinging, especially with all the complaints and considering they already use a lift-gate on all their other SUVs(except the prado).

Also, why does everyone hate it so much, i can't see how it would be THAT much less convenient, enough to be a deal breaker on an otherwise awesome truck.
When I really wanted, a GX that was deal breaker. Wife said absolute NO to the barn type swing door. LX has pop up door but too big for our needs. IMO. if GX ever comes out with new generation with
pop up door, more folks will buy it. Or if it had power (motorized) swing..,.
Old 03-21-18, 02:53 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

I'm quite fond of it and works better for my garage than swing up. Next version in years ahead will likely be motorized in some way.
Old 09-29-18, 10:08 AM
pintohorse
Driver School Candidate

Default Reason for side opening door

At the Auto Show in Minneapolis 2018, I was told by Lexus that the reason for the side opening rear door was because there was not enough head room for the rear passengers if an overhead motor to open the rear door was installed there. I guess Lexus just doesn't want to make the vehicle any longer or eliminate the third row seats. I do not need third row seats and feel that they are not safe without their own side door (or at least having an added risk in needing to exit the vehicle). I will not buy a vehicle with a side opening rear door and I am still in the market for a new SUV; leaning towards the 2020 Grand Cherokee Overland. I was hoping Lexus would change the door.
Old 09-30-18, 12:14 AM
psun786
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I guess I am the only one who love the swing rear door. It is unique and remind me of old school SUVs with spare tire on its back. Love everything about my GX. body on frame, rear swing door and gas thirsty V8 (I hate eco friendly cars). If not because I am single and live alone, I would get its bigger brother LX or LC.
Old 09-30-18, 08:56 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by psun786
I guess I am the only one who love the swing rear door. It is unique and remind me of old school SUVs with spare tire on its back. Love everything about my GX. body on frame, rear swing door and gas thirsty V8 (I hate eco friendly cars). If not because I am single and live alone, I would get its bigger brother LX or LC.
Yup, there is always a trade off. Better gas mileage and have no torque (top end power or low end torque), lighter car and have no safety and comfort, or new technology and have bad reliability and high cost of repair. I believe that the car companies hasn't really improved the mpg unless they go with a turbo engine and we know that they just aren't as reliable as a NA engine. Even with a Direct Injection, you have slight loss in low-end torque and only gain about 1-2 mpg. A V8 with X amount of torque from the 90's are still getting same or similar mpg as a V8 from 2010. I know its cliche, but there is no replacement for displacement. Even with the modern technology, you just can't make GX's V8 get better gas mileage.
Old 04-18-19, 01:57 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

DeMuro just seems to hate the GX. He has made comments about it in other videos and articles.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/...81474979921221

Last edited by Acrad; 04-18-19 at 02:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Why the side-swinging rear door?