GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

I drove the new GX - first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-09, 10:55 AM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I drove the new GX - first impressions

Saw and drove the new base model today - my overall impression was positive.

Some background: I never am initially impressed with a new model. I was not impressed with the original SC the new SC, the RX, the new RX or the GX - all of which I subsequently bought and enjoyed very much. I have owned GX from 2002 and my current 2005 has 150K miles.

Interior: I love my current GX - especially the reliability and interior; never was a fan of the exterior. The new GX (base) is not as nice IMO but I prefer the wood to the brushed steel etc. There is a little more storage which is appreciated; fit and finish all great as expected. NAV is still touch screen which I prefer.

Second row folds flat (no somersalting seats) which I suppose is better and of course the big improvement is the power flat folding third row. Since I remove the third row on day #1, the idea of having the third row available is sort of nice. I sat in them and they are fine for reasonable adults for modest trips - no cross country travel please. My biggest issue is the cargo area. Definitely less spacious than current GX in any configuration (seats up or down). Since I routinely fill the truck this is a problem. I do appreciate the lift up glass in the (ridiculous) rear door since I also carry long items which can now stick out the back rather than hit me in the face in the front.

I am sure I will appreciate the new technology etc (cameras, iPhone, HID etc) although the base model didn't have them and I didn;t have that long a chance to play.

Exterior I was never a fan of the exterior of the GX and I'm still not - although from the drivers seat the front/hood does have a satisfying "bulge" that I did respond to. My lowest priority so I didn't dwell on it.

Ride The ride was nice - appreciated the additional power and the handling was smooth and firm. Felt better than my current GX (150K miles) and what I remember about it when new. That was a pleasant surprise. Still plenty of snow left form our 25" blizzard so got to drive through some snow - handled great as my current GX does. Overall I was impressed with the ride - good acceleration from zero and from 30-60. Brakes were solid.

Net-net: I'm probably a buyer of the premium model - maybe in the spring when the prices are more negotiable. Like every car/truck there are trade-offs. THought about a 2009 GX but thats boring. RX too small; LX too large and don't know of any better "blend" of luxury interior, space and reliability compared to GX. If the deal is good....and the all important wife gives it a thumbs up - I can see myself as a buyer.

Basically I liked it and for me this early its encouraging.

Looking forward to hearing other peoples reactions.

Happy New Year all.
Old 12-26-09, 11:10 AM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was a thorough write-up. Thank you!

Can't wait to take my 06 GX to dealer for service (so I'll have an excuse to test drive the 2010 model).
Old 12-26-09, 11:40 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Its good to hear actual opinions from a person actually looking for a vehicle like this and has had the last gen. GX. I find your opinion far more interesting and valid than random people who rather just drive a sports car or sedan.
Old 01-04-10, 07:45 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New 2010 GX460 - Current 1st gen 2005 GX470 owner

I've been a GX470 since 2005 and I like my GX quite a bit. I was looking forward to scoping out the new GX460 redesign. Until I saw the pics online, severely disappointed.

Even as I brought my GX in this weekend for the 40K maintenance, I kept saying to myself, the pics on the net couldn't be all THAT bad...

But, alas it was. The first word that comes to mind. "PLASTIC"... Everytime I go in for service at my local dealer I get an RX as a loaner vehicle, and everytime I step inside of the RX, I'm "shocked" at how plastic the console/dashboard is compared to my GX this includes the RX350 2010 w/ push button ignition from this weekend. I can't wait to get back into my GX470. Unfortunately when I stepped into the GX460 I felt the same as the RX, plasticy. Interior doesn't match/justify the $$$$ spent on the vehicle. The GX is a bit "boxy" compared to some of the other trucks out there, but I much prefer the body styling of the 1st GEN GX vs. the new 2nd GEN GX460.

That said, the new GX has a lot going for it, technology wise:

HID
DTS/Dolby Digital Mark Levinson (my 2005 only had Pro Logic not DTS or DD)
Power folding seats
Split rear door GLASS
POWER folding mirrors (At last)
more power from the engine

IF they were able to CRAM this tech into the 1st gen GX, I would be happy!!!
Hmmmm, the 09' GX has all of the above except power seats... Maybe I'll shop around...
Old 01-04-10, 11:10 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by lonewolf69
I've been a GX470 since 2005 and I like my GX quite a bit. I was looking forward to scoping out the new GX460 redesign. Until I saw the pics online, severely disappointed.

Even as I brought my GX in this weekend for the 40K maintenance, I kept saying to myself, the pics on the net couldn't be all THAT bad...

But, alas it was. The first word that comes to mind. "PLASTIC"... Everytime I go in for service at my local dealer I get an RX as a loaner vehicle, and everytime I step inside of the RX, I'm "shocked" at how plastic the console/dashboard is compared to my GX this includes the RX350 2010 w/ push button ignition from this weekend. I can't wait to get back into my GX470. Unfortunately when I stepped into the GX460 I felt the same as the RX, plasticy. Interior doesn't match/justify the $$$$ spent on the vehicle. The GX is a bit "boxy" compared to some of the other trucks out there, but I much prefer the body styling of the 1st GEN GX vs. the new 2nd GEN GX460.

That said, the new GX has a lot going for it, technology wise:

HID
DTS/Dolby Digital Mark Levinson (my 2005 only had Pro Logic not DTS or DD)
Power folding seats
Split rear door GLASS
POWER folding mirrors (At last)
more power from the engine

IF they were able to CRAM this tech into the 1st gen GX, I would be happy!!!
Hmmmm, the 09' GX has all of the above except power seats... Maybe I'll shop around...
The 09 GX doesn't have the rear door opening window or the power folding side mirrors.
Old 01-05-10, 07:54 AM
CenterIsl
Pit Crew

I stopped by the Bellevue (WA) dealer yesterday (to get my GX key battery replaced) and wandered up to the showroom to see if they had a new GX460. I walked around and didn't spot one - but there was a salesguy next to what I thought was a GX470 and I asked him if they had one and he said "this is a GX460". I only saw it from the front, it was dark in color and not well lit, but damn - I didn't spot that it was the new model and I was specifically looking for one!

The side view - and rear view - are clearly "different" - but the front view...I thought I knew these cars and I just missed it.

The interior (this was not the Premium model) was a huge disappointment to me. My wife had a company fleet car - a Chevy Equinox - for 3 years and I associate the new brushed aluminum, square controls look with that car - which was a complete turd. That's why I bought a 986 Boxster over the updated 987 (2005+) - I just can't abide the interior controls (which, to my eye, look like every other vehicle). It just didn't look like a proper Lexus to me, but I have to point out that I am (currently) a confirmed fan of the early 200?-era Lexus interiors (with a few irritating ergonomic issues) and I know that others think those interiors are "dated".

And the 3rd row seat solution would not work for me. I removed my 3rd row seats the day I brought it home - ironically added them back for the first time in years for a family vacation over the recent holidays - took about 2 minutes - and both need the space and dislike the additional lift-over height of the new solution. We have a special-needs dog (14yo chow with spinal surgery) and I don't think my 5'2" wife could lift her onto the new platform.

I didn't drive it - heck, I didn't even want to sit in it - but I assume it would be competent. If it were the same price as the current GX, I suppose I could talk myself into one - but at $10K more? Not for me.
Old 01-05-10, 09:37 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They stripped away the exterior character of the 470 and filled the interior with cheap plastic...
Attached Thumbnails I drove the new GX - first impressions-gx460interior.jpg  
Old 01-06-10, 06:44 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JimsGX
They stripped away the exterior character of the 470 and filled the interior with cheap plastic...
It must be some expensive plastic to drive up the msrp to $66k.

Fact is, I am so disappointed by the interior/exterior that even if the price point were the same as the 1st Gen Gx, I still would not want one.
Old 01-06-10, 10:46 AM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the interior looks great. I sat in one last week and was impressed.
Old 01-06-10, 05:27 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Default My thoughts... I also drove it on 12/26/09

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5099865-post17.html
Old 01-07-10, 08:22 PM
LexFather

Very nice reviews!

Old 01-08-10, 07:32 AM
CenterIsl
Pit Crew

Funny followup...I mentioned to my wife that I looked at the new GX460 that replaced the GX470 and she asked "why would anyone want to go down?". She doesn't know the number of cylinders, engine capacity, or number of driven wheels but - to her - the model number was a "downgrade".
Old 01-08-10, 04:22 PM
dgsvt
Driver

did you tell her how much the "downgrade's" price was? I'm sure she would have been shocked to know it costs 10K more.
Old 01-21-10, 02:21 AM
Bocastyle
Driver School Candidate

Now that i have joined this club i am very shocked to see such variance in posts and replies some like it some don't and you know to each is his own but the things that people don't like are almost petty. The reason we are all on club lexus is hopefully for the positive side of lexus. I know its ok to be honest and share it but goto a dealership jump in one and drive it and then tell me it is not the best ride you have everrode r driven for its size and weight. I own an is250 as well and i swear this new 2010 GX460 premium handles like a car. I put it to the limit i gun it at the light and i take curves like theres no tomorrow and i brake to stop on a dime and there isn't one thing that i would say where it doesn't perform phenomenal. Lexus is quality and i am extremely impressed about the whole vehicle remember there is no such thing as a PERFECT vehicle or anything for that matter! Gotta love Lexus.!
Old 01-21-10, 09:40 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

the New GX is very nice but I like my 08 and will keep it for a long time! I paid 45K for mine loaded and the new one loaded that I would wnat would be 63K easy! I only owe 23K on mine so I see no reason at all to make the move. It hust doesnt WOW me that much--time to throw a laser Jammer on mine and be done with it))

Quick Reply: I drove the new GX - first impressions