GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX diesel in the future...

Old 01-20-10, 07:11 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default GX diesel in the future...

So now that Lexus has redesigned all of their SUV's, do you think Lexus will work on putting a diesel in their trucks? I know Toyota/Lexus is all about the hybrids right now but I feel the hybrids are better suited to the passenger cars whereas diesels are better suited to the trucks. I thought Toyota/Lexuas was at one point seriously pursuing diesels to fit into the tundra but haven't heard anything about it in a while. Did they just drop the subject and r&d? I'd really like to have a diesel in this GX.

Comon' Toyota/Lexus. Let's put a diesel in this truck...
Old 01-20-10, 08:20 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell no! .
Old 01-20-10, 08:24 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I think Toyota is still going ahead with a diesel in the Tundra pick up. I have a 2009 BMW X5 twin turbo diesel. I'm thinking about trading my X5 for the GX 460. With the urea injection and all the other crap on my X5, I have to use a battery tender to keep my battery charged. I don't see Lexus ever going with a diesel. There is a lot of extra maintenace owning a diesel. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have purchased a diesel or another BMW.

Craig
Old 01-20-10, 08:30 AM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bam
Let's put a diesel in this truck...
The Toyota Europe version of the GX offers the option of a 3.0L diesel engine.
Old 01-20-10, 09:51 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by antonio98
The Toyota Europe version of the GX offers the option of a 3.0L diesel engine.
Would you by any chance know the specs of this engine? Do you know if this is one of those ad-blu or urea diesels?

I'm just saying that if Toyota/Lexus makes a diesel engine that they can use across their truck lines, they would be able to spread out the cost. We'd be talking about the Tundra, Sequoia, Landcruiser, GX, LX, and maybe the 4Runner. I think driving one of these trucks with gas mileage of 19city/25hwy would be awesome. my $.02
Old 01-20-10, 11:06 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on the Land Cruiser Prado there's:

3.0 D-4D M/T | 3.0 D-4D A/T | 4.0 Dual VVT-i V6 A/T (gasoline)

the diesel is 1KD-FTV

and 0-60 is
12,4 | 11,7 | 9,2

and max speed:
175 | 175 | 180
Old 01-20-10, 01:04 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's info on Toyota's V8 diesel sold in Australia:

Toyota VD engine
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Toyota VD engine is the first ever V8 diesel engine produced by Toyota. It is a 32-Valve DOHC, with either one or two variable-geometry turbochargers.

The single-turbo variant of this engine was first used in March 2007 in the 70-series Land Cruiser in Australia; the twin-turbo saw its first use in September 2007 in the 200-series Land Cruiser.

1VD-FTV
Type: V8 DOHC 32 Valve Variable Geometry Intercooled Turbo Diesel
Displacement: 4461 cc
Compression ratio: 16.8:1
Fuel System: Common Rail Direct Injection
Maximum power: (single-turbo) 202 hp (151 kW) @ 3400 rpm; (twin-turbo) 260 hp (194 kW) at 3400 rpm
Maximum torque: (single-turbo) 317 ft·lb (430 N·m) 430 Nm @ 1200-3200 rpm; (twin-turbo) 479 ft·lb (649 N·m) @ 1600-2600 rpm
Bore x Stroke (mm) 86 x 96
Old 01-20-10, 01:13 PM
LexFather

As stated overseas markets get the diesel. There diesels are not seen with the same glum as here.

Lexus/Toyota has bet the farm on hybrids. I was hoping it debuted with it as an option. Maybe in the future.

Old 01-20-10, 02:55 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
As stated overseas markets get the diesel. There diesels are not seen with the same glum as here.

Lexus/Toyota has bet the farm on hybrids. I was hoping it debuted with it as an option. Maybe in the future.
so if they have the engine already built and in production, I think Toyota/Lexus should at least bring it to the states and put it into their trucks and expect nothing more than a small percentage of takers. They're again following the pack and not leading the pack as pretty much all of Toyota/Lexus' competitors have some form of a diesel.

Now, I don't know how much truth there is to this statement but a bmw sales rep said that 1 in 3 X5's sold are diesels. Seems a little optimistic to me so take it for what it's worth.

Anyways, those numbers on the engine seem quite nice and i certainly wouldn't complain about 479lbs/ft of torque. Yikes!

It's great that Lexus kept the GX on a truck platform but I think they should have put a "truck" engine in it to match instead of the "LS engine" re-engineered for a truck application.
Old 01-20-10, 08:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bam
so if they have the engine already built and in production, I think Toyota/Lexus should at least bring it to the states and put it into their trucks and expect nothing more than a small percentage of takers. They're again following the pack and not leading the pack as pretty much all of Toyota/Lexus' competitors have some form of a diesel.

Now, I don't know how much truth there is to this statement but a bmw sales rep said that 1 in 3 X5's sold are diesels. Seems a little optimistic to me so take it for what it's worth.

Anyways, those numbers on the engine seem quite nice and i certainly wouldn't complain about 479lbs/ft of torque. Yikes!

It's great that Lexus kept the GX on a truck platform but I think they should have put a "truck" engine in it to match instead of the "LS engine" re-engineered for a truck application.
I think there is a big issue getting diesels to pass emissions here. Honda dropped bringing the Euro Accord/TSX diesel b/c they said "they could not get it to work".

Out of curiousity does the Tundra have a diesel?

Also the only Lexus diesel is the IS 220d in Europe. Well Lexus is going to drop it and introduce a hybrid IS next go round.

So the future for diesels here in a Lexus is very very bleak.

Old 01-21-10, 08:34 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think there is a big issue getting diesels to pass emissions here. Honda dropped bringing the Euro Accord/TSX diesel b/c they said "they could not get it to work".

Out of curiousity does the Tundra have a diesel?

Also the only Lexus diesel is the IS 220d in Europe. Well Lexus is going to drop it and introduce a hybrid IS next go round.

So the future for diesels here in a Lexus is very very bleak.
The Tundra doesn't have a diesel this year. I've heard rumors for next year.

Craig