GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

1st and 2nd Gen GX - Side-by-Side

Old 12-27-09, 11:50 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 1st and 2nd Gen GX - Side-by-Side Photos

I stopped by my dealer today on the way back from getting the truck washed to see if they had a new GX in stock. Sure enough they did, so I decided to pull up behind it and snap some shots. Forgive the quality they were taken with my BB Pearl.

First impressions, clean lines, but plane looking. The doors were unlocked so I hopped in... The leather was very supple by comparison and the seats were comfortable - I just love the "new" Lexus smell... The back seats were also comfortable and in particular I like the fact that they can be adjusted - slid forward or back and the back rest reclines. I tested the "auto" fold feature for the 3rd row. This was a really nice feature, but it was very slooowww. I also noticed that it tended to stop if the seatbelts were in the way in the slightest, must be a built in safety feature to keep you from crushing your kids, but it seemed WAY to sensitive and I could see it getting annoying. The headrests are high and they automatically fold down as the seats fold down, also pretty cool. The cargo space with the seats folded down appeared to be less as compared to the 1st Gen GX, in particular from floor to ceiling. As for the console/dash I did not care for the angular dash design and the minimal amount of wood, it reminded me of the Jeep Commander - very utilitarian. I did like the center console design, which has been raised and top is appointed with leather to rest your elbows.

In summary I cannot say that seeing it in person made me like it anymore than the initial release photos. As a matter of fact seeing the 1st Gen GX and 2nd Gen GX side-by-side made me appreciate the 1st Gen GX all the more - just personal preference I guess. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice truck packed with features, but the design has not grown on me yet. So, for the moment I am happy with mine especially considering the $66k MSRP of the 2nd Gen GX!

Enjoy...

Last edited by cssnms; 12-29-09 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-27-09, 12:09 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the pics
Old 12-27-09, 04:00 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the side-by-side comparison.

That gap in the rear wheel well seems even more pronounced on the 2010.
Old 12-27-09, 04:05 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yours is better looking, can't believe that sticker price. The front end of the 1st Gen is so much better looking, thanks for sharing the pics.
Old 12-27-09, 04:33 PM
GxTex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1st Generation wins. I have the same ash blue mica. Love it!
Old 12-27-09, 05:15 PM
dgsvt
Driver

That price is rediculous... It almost makes the LX570 prices seem reasonable as an upgrade from this vehicle. 10K more and you get much more space and the 5.7 v8 with 20's and all the extra goodies in the top of the line Lexus SUV. Plus you can get an LX close to invoice instead of sticker for this one.
Old 12-27-09, 05:58 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Yea needless to say I almost fell over when I walked around to look at the sticker. This GX was loaded to the nines, but $66k, come on! It does not look like a $66k truck, that's for sure. I think the price point is just slightly outside of Lexus's target audiance.

Last edited by cssnms; 12-27-09 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-27-09, 10:02 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I also say they overpriced this GX as well! Might as well get a Toyota landcruiser for the same price and get the 5.7 as well--its not like its a huge downgrade is it--Nope
Old 12-28-09, 12:08 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow $66k, for a new GX460. Yikes, that is going to have to make me look elsewhere. If Lexus is going to look for sale increases this is not the way to go. It makes the Infiniti QX56 seem like a bargain and Acura MDX.
Old 12-28-09, 08:56 AM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow....it's even worse than I thought.
Glad I got my '09 to last me awhile.
I suppose we'll have to get used to it.
Thanks for the side-by-side pics.
Old 12-28-09, 09:56 AM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

yeah, the price is going to change alot of people's plans
Old 12-28-09, 10:16 AM
ARK07
Driver School Candidate

I was discussing the new GX with someone who works at a local Lexus, and his and maybe others at this dealership concern was, that the new GX with growing a little bit, with all the features, that it would steal sales from the LX. So now not only did they potentially lose sales of the LX, they're now going to loose the following of existing GX owners,(due to price and other) a potentially lose-lose situation??
Old 12-28-09, 11:18 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

My 06 GX cost me $45000, thats a price increase of $5000 per year The new GX is over price to say the least. On top of that, I like the front and the side of the old GX better. They also gopt rid of the plastic cladding on the new GX, it was one of my favorite fearture of the old GX.
Old 12-28-09, 11:50 AM
dbacf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The G Man
My 06 GX cost me $45000, thats a price increase of $5000 per year The new GX is over price to say the least. On top of that, I like the front and the side of the old GX better. They also gopt rid of the plastic cladding on the new GX, it was one of my favorite fearture of the old GX.
I agree, there is something missing from the 2010 it is not growing on me, really reminds me of the 4runner. I love the Lexus brand but I thought I would like the new GX more than I do. It may force me to move to another brand.
Old 12-28-09, 11:52 AM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"plastic cladding"?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1st and 2nd Gen GX - Side-by-Side