GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

I drove the new GX - first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-10, 07:24 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to say the interior looks great

But I hate the HID headlight sticking down into the bumper - and the grill touching the headlights ...

If I was in the market for a GX, and if it was possible, id get a LC Prado
Old 01-21-10, 08:14 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Not impressed in the least with the new GX, but that is solely based on pictures. I did not care for the GX470 either but sure do like it now. I even dropped it off to have 6 small dents removed at a paintless dent repair shop today. The exterior is now a 10+ again.
The interior appears to be something that should be in the 4Runner, not the upscale Lexus. Need to take a drive in one to really get an realistic impression.
Old 01-22-10, 06:38 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Took a short drive in a Premium GX460 this afternoon. Unfortunately, this truck was not equipped with the Wide-View Front and Side Monitor. I stomped on it once and was a bit disappointed with the lack of acceleration compared to my truck. That sounds weird, doesn't it? The ride and handling was impressive. This GX had Michelin Latitudes, so that would be a strong preference. I'm checking into where the side molding is added, factory or port. IMO, the truck looks better without it, especially in the lighter colors.
Old 01-22-10, 09:39 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gs400jon
I stomped on it once and was a bit disappointed with the lack of acceleration compared to my truck.
I agree. I think the added weight makes the new GX a little sluggish.
Old 01-23-10, 06:46 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took a short drive in a Premium GX460 this afternoon. Unfortunately, this truck was not equipped with the Wide-View Front and Side Monitor. I stomped on it once and was a bit disappointed with the lack of acceleration compared to my truck. That sounds weird, doesn't it? The ride and handling was impressive. This GX had Michelin Latitudes, so that would be a strong preference. I'm checking into where the side molding is added, factory or port. IMO, the truck looks better without it, especially in the lighter colors.
May be due to the adaptive transmission. If everyone has been babying it, going to take a while for it to adapt. Or you shift to manumatic.
Old 01-23-10, 07:48 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Could be. The odometer read 9 miles. Maybe the next person will feel a bit more pep.
Old 01-23-10, 09:04 PM
akfd
Pole Position

I'm going to test drive one on Monday, can't wait!! I don't really care about acceleration, because I'm a slow driver, plus I need to torque and power for climbing hills.
Old 01-25-10, 04:28 PM
akfd
Pole Position

An update: I just went for a test drive, and I have to say for such a big SUV acceleration is definitely acceptable. One little thing though, the truck leans a bit sideways too much when making a turn too quickly. Other than that, I can't really complain. And oh yeah, I bought one!!
Old 01-25-10, 05:06 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stomped on it once and was a bit disappointed with the lack of acceleration compared to my truck. That sounds weird, doesn't it?
Not really. The GX has just 301 hp. That is not all that much, its pretty weak if you ask me considering that the Acura MDX get 300hp and is a car based V6.

Torque is comparable to the 4.7. Now the KIA Boreggo offers 337hp and is of the same displacement and out performs it when comes to towing capacity.
Old 01-25-10, 05:18 PM
dgsvt
Driver

Nobody would be complaining power wise if they put the 5.7 in it... It might hurt fuel economy numbers, but not by that much. Why did they not put the 5.7 in the premium model with the 4.6 in the regular one... It would help make the justification for that much of a price increase.
Old 01-25-10, 05:33 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Ok, I can't resist. I have to ask the board this question. I haven't had the chance to test drive the 4.6 in the Tundra or GX460 as the GX is not yet available for a test drive....but I have been looking at the numbers and reading some reviews and I have also noticed in the GX forums that acceleration is lukewarm (7.8 seconds)

Ok so seriously, 301 hp at 5500rpm and 329tq at 3500 rpm...I compared it to the Acura MDX...3.7 engine, 300 hp and 270rpm...clearly the V8 makes sense in the GX..

But then I read about this vehicle called the KIA Borrego.

KIA's 4.6 is listed at 337 at 6000rpm and 323tq at 3500rpm...the same size 4.6 engine as the GX...

Now people say the 4.6 in the KIA is from the Genesis car...likely it can't keep up while towing or heavy hauling....well, the KIA Boreggo out tows the GX460 by 1000lbs...7500lbs KIA vs 6500lbs Lexus...

Lexus didn't drop the ball with the Land Cruiser or LX 5.7 engine....381 horses and 401 tq is clearly class leading....but it appears to me that the GX 4.6 is a little behind and is already obsolete

I smell a fish out of water with the new 4.6 in the GX
Old 01-25-10, 05:37 PM
akfd
Pole Position

I think Lexus is keeping the towing capacity numbers a bit moderate; maybe the KIA figures are a bit exaggerated?
Old 01-25-10, 05:39 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by akfd
I think Lexus is keeping the towing capacity numbers a bit moderate; maybe the KIA figures are a bit exaggerated?
Maybe the Lexus 4.6 is not as good as the KIA 4.6?
Old 01-25-10, 07:44 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Maybe the Lexus 4.6 is not as good as the KIA 4.6?
My (rather limited) experience with Korean cars is that they are good for the first 2-3 years, and then problems show up after that. I mean, what you like is the most important, and if you like the KIA better then go for it!!
Old 01-26-10, 06:46 AM
dgsvt
Driver

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Ok, I can't resist. I have to ask the board this question. I haven't had the chance to test drive the 4.6 in the Tundra or GX460 as the GX is not yet available for a test drive....but I have been looking at the numbers and reading some reviews and I have also noticed in the GX forums that acceleration is lukewarm (7.8 seconds)

Ok so seriously, 301 hp at 5500rpm and 329tq at 3500 rpm...I compared it to the Acura MDX...3.7 engine, 300 hp and 270rpm...clearly the V8 makes sense in the GX..

But then I read about this vehicle called the KIA Borrego.

KIA's 4.6 is listed at 337 at 6000rpm and 323tq at 3500rpm...the same size 4.6 engine as the GX...

Now people say the 4.6 in the KIA is from the Genesis car...likely it can't keep up while towing or heavy hauling....well, the KIA Boreggo out tows the GX460 by 1000lbs...7500lbs KIA vs 6500lbs Lexus...

Lexus didn't drop the ball with the Land Cruiser or LX 5.7 engine....381 horses and 401 tq is clearly class leading....but it appears to me that the GX 4.6 is a little behind and is already obsolete

I smell a fish out of water with the new 4.6 in the GX

I agree with the "little behind and already obsolete" engine statement. The 1st gen GX was out for 7+ years. Tell me this is not it for the next 7 years... Do they plan on adding direct injection in a year or two to boost hp/tq by 20? How sad will that be... It still won't make a difference. For this much money and time taken between generations, every aspect of the truck should be class leading. Seriously, this is a "new engine" and should be class leading. It's like the 3.5 in the IS350 was class leading and blew the doors off the competition when it came out. BMW seemed to be caught with it's pants down and had to quickly turbo it's motor to compete.

Then there is my personal gripe between this Lexus and similar Toyota motor... I still don't understand how the Tundra engine can make more HP on regular gas than this Lexus tuned to run on premium. The 5.7 in the LX makes more HP than the one in the Toyota version. I know the old GX 4.7 made 263hp and the Tundra 4.7 made 270hp. Why is it just this mid leve V8 that Lexus can't make more HP on premium than it's Toyota counterpart on regular? Maybe if I drive one it won't feel underpowered.

Quick Reply: I drove the new GX - first impressions