GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

New GX460!

Old 12-26-09, 01:32 PM
CO-LS400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4runner on steriods

I like my 2004 GX 470 better?? The only think I really like about the 2010 is the automatic drop down back seats.

It looks like a 4 runner on "Juice"
Old 12-27-09, 05:50 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Echo the 4Runner comment, though I did like the ride - LONG

I took the demo at my dealership out yesterday with my wife and 7 month-old (had to see how the car seat would fit!). It had only 32 miles on the odometer. Even though most of what is on its way from the factory is fully loaded, this was a GX460 Base with Navigation. A few highlights...

Interior: Overall a plus, but reduced cargo space kills it
  • Stitching on the leather is a different color than the seats and looked beautiful... Not a huge deal but a nice detail.
  • Dashboard looks much better in person: the steering wheel and vinyl overlay on the dashboard do not look cheap like they do on pictures IMO.
  • Second row seemed more spacious than in my 2004, and I believe the numbers back that up.
  • Not sure what to make of the metallic trim around the navigation... Seems a bit overdone.
  • Nice finishes on the doors. The metallic look on the handles looks nice (not overdone in this case), and the wood trim with thin borders is tastefully done.
  • Seatbelts: The seatbelts are black irrespective of interior color. Call me picky, but I think this is cheap.
  • Last, but certainly not least... the cargo area...
    • The barn door: After getting past the disappointment of not getting a power liftgate, I have to say that they did a nice job with the re-execution of the barn door. The handle is in a more natural position (not to mention hidden), and the air shock that keeps it open at different positions works very well.
    • The 3rd row seats: The power system works flawlessly: no surprises there. However, as others have pointed out, the combination of fold-flat seats in the rear with a solid axle has raised the cargo floor by a good 4 to 5 inches. The overall height of the truck is reduced, so total cargo space is down to about 65 cubic feet from 77 or 78. The RX has about 80. With the 3rd row seats in place, cargo space is virtually gone. More on this later...
The Drive: Quiet, smooth and responsive
Engine and Transmission
  • The minute the engine started, it sounded loud and mean. On the road, it had a pleasant exhaust note with the nice throaty V8 sound.
  • In terms of power, I did not get to push it a lot, but it certainly felt powerful enough, though not a lot different from my '04. Given the comparable torque numbers, I would not have expected a rocket. However, when flooring it at 70 on the highway, I would expect a difference from the 301hp.
  • Power delivery was smooth, and so was the shifting of the new 6-speed transmission: no surprises here either.
Size and Handling
  • KDSS is a wonderful thing. Given all the changes to the GX in terms of suspension, size, etc., it is hard to precisely attribute every handling improvement, but KDSS is clearly doing its job when you throw this thing into corners. I wish I had it on my '04.
  • Bumps were absorbed well, and the GX felt solid. Note that this particular GX did not have air suspension, so I was particularly interested in feeling any differences.
  • Despite what feels like a roomier passenger compartment, this truck feels smaller, enough so that I am having a hard time referring to it as a truck.
The Looks
  • The front and back look nice. The side makes it look like a 4runner, particularly from a distance. I even see a slight resemblance to the new Highlander. Nothing wrong with that picture (I like the looks of both), except for the price tag.
  • The wheels... As usual with many of their vehicles, Lexus mailed it in on the wheels and decided to put this recycled 6-spoke 4runner/Land Cruiser Prado wheel on the new GX. Yes, I realize that the spokes are not straight like in those other vehicles and do have a nicer shape to them, but come on. My wife and I kept looking at this and asking "does this look like a $60k vehicle?".
  • SmartAccess: Only the front handles can be used to lock/unlock. I was surprised, given that our GS has sensors on all four handles (and the LX still does too).
Our Verdict

As a family in need of a family-truckster (sorry for this reference - National Lampoon's Vacation was on last night), the tall cargo area and severely-reduced cargo space are likely deal-breakers for us. Other than that, I can say I would enjoy owning a new GX. The more powerful and efficient engine and KDSS are huge pluses on my list, and the new interior does make my '04 look a bit outdated.

The biggest deal-breaker for us, not surprisingly, is the price. If you want a GX with ML/NAV and do not want a special order vehicle, you are looking at a fully loaded GX Premium unit with a non-negotiable (at least for the time being) price of $67,358 (right from the dealership's printout). All kinds of cool stuff go into that (pre-collision, dynamic cruise control, etc.), but the price is still steep for the market served by the GX, so we'll see how things go. People at the dealer are wondering themselves.
Old 12-27-09, 08:06 AM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by caha14
Seatbelts: The seatbelts are black irrespective of interior color. Call me picky, but I think this is cheap.
Thanks for your assessment.

My dealer has a GX with ecru interior and the seatbelts do match. I think the sepia interior is the only one with the mismatched seatbelts.

Here in the south, they are also not including the ML audio on the base GX. You have to go with the premium or special order. The base model also does not include HID's or RSES. That's a lot of missing pieces on a $58k vehicle.
Old 12-27-09, 08:48 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by antonio98
Thanks for your assessment.

My dealer has a GX with ecru interior and the seatbelts do match. I think the sepia interior is the only one with the mismatched seatbelts.

Here in the south, they are also not including the ML audio on the base GX. You have to go with the premium or special order. The base model also does not include HID's or RSES. That's a lot of missing pieces on a $58k vehicle.
Good to know, thank you for clarifying. I actually asked about the seatbelt color at the dealership, so I guess they didn't know since this was their only one in the lot.
Old 12-30-09, 10:24 AM
SLa
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the detail review. We saw one on the road recently with the exact color as our '05. I did not recognized it and though it was a 2010 4Runner until my wife pointed out. The hugh spoiler looked just like my brother's 4Runner, very unattractive. I prefer one without it. The new GX looks more like the 4Runner especially from the side view. Because of its shorter profile, it looks just like another Crossover SUV on the road.

With this economy, I don't think Lexus will sell a lot of these cars with a $70K price tag for a 2010 GX with a fully loaded GX with tax and licensing.
Old 01-01-10, 04:46 PM
Chi-town
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caha14
I took the demo at my dealership out yesterday with my wife and 7 month-old (had to see how the car seat would fit!). It had only 32 miles on the odometer. Even though most of what is on its way from the factory is fully loaded, this was a GX460 Base with Navigation. A few highlights...

Interior: Overall a plus, but reduced cargo space kills it
  • Stitching on the leather is a different color than the seats and looked beautiful... Not a huge deal but a nice detail.
  • Dashboard looks much better in person: the steering wheel and vinyl overlay on the dashboard do not look cheap like they do on pictures IMO.
  • Second row seemed more spacious than in my 2004, and I believe the numbers back that up.
  • Not sure what to make of the metallic trim around the navigation... Seems a bit overdone.
  • Nice finishes on the doors. The metallic look on the handles looks nice (not overdone in this case), and the wood trim with thin borders is tastefully done.
  • Seatbelts: The seatbelts are black irrespective of interior color. Call me picky, but I think this is cheap.
  • Last, but certainly not least... the cargo area...
    • The barn door: After getting past the disappointment of not getting a power liftgate, I have to say that they did a nice job with the re-execution of the barn door. The handle is in a more natural position (not to mention hidden), and the air shock that keeps it open at different positions works very well.
    • The 3rd row seats: The power system works flawlessly: no surprises there. However, as others have pointed out, the combination of fold-flat seats in the rear with a solid axle has raised the cargo floor by a good 4 to 5 inches. The overall height of the truck is reduced, so total cargo space is down to about 65 cubic feet from 77 or 78. The RX has about 80. With the 3rd row seats in place, cargo space is virtually gone. More on this later...
The Drive: Quiet, smooth and responsive
Engine and Transmission
  • The minute the engine started, it sounded loud and mean. On the road, it had a pleasant exhaust note with the nice throaty V8 sound.
  • In terms of power, I did not get to push it a lot, but it certainly felt powerful enough, though not a lot different from my '04. Given the comparable torque numbers, I would not have expected a rocket. However, when flooring it at 70 on the highway, I would expect a difference from the 301hp.
  • Power delivery was smooth, and so was the shifting of the new 6-speed transmission: no surprises here either.
Size and Handling
  • KDSS is a wonderful thing. Given all the changes to the GX in terms of suspension, size, etc., it is hard to precisely attribute every handling improvement, but KDSS is clearly doing its job when you throw this thing into corners. I wish I had it on my '04.
  • Bumps were absorbed well, and the GX felt solid. Note that this particular GX did not have air suspension, so I was particularly interested in feeling any differences.
  • Despite what feels like a roomier passenger compartment, this truck feels smaller, enough so that I am having a hard time referring to it as a truck.
The Looks
  • The front and back look nice. The side makes it look like a 4runner, particularly from a distance. I even see a slight resemblance to the new Highlander. Nothing wrong with that picture (I like the looks of both), except for the price tag.
  • The wheels... As usual with many of their vehicles, Lexus mailed it in on the wheels and decided to put this recycled 6-spoke 4runner/Land Cruiser Prado wheel on the new GX. Yes, I realize that the spokes are not straight like in those other vehicles and do have a nicer shape to them, but come on. My wife and I kept looking at this and asking "does this look like a $60k vehicle?".
  • SmartAccess: Only the front handles can be used to lock/unlock. I was surprised, given that our GS has sensors on all four handles (and the LX still does too).
Our Verdict

As a family in need of a family-truckster (sorry for this reference - National Lampoon's Vacation was on last night), the tall cargo area and severely-reduced cargo space are likely deal-breakers for us. Other than that, I can say I would enjoy owning a new GX. The more powerful and efficient engine and KDSS are huge pluses on my list, and the new interior does make my '04 look a bit outdated.

The biggest deal-breaker for us, not surprisingly, is the price. If you want a GX with ML/NAV and do not want a special order vehicle, you are looking at a fully loaded GX Premium unit with a non-negotiable (at least for the time being) price of $67,358 (right from the dealership's printout). All kinds of cool stuff go into that (pre-collision, dynamic cruise control, etc.), but the price is still steep for the market served by the GX, so we'll see how things go. People at the dealer are wondering themselves.
Thank you for this detailed review.

Space is an issue for me, but if the GX compensates in other areas, I am willing to sacrifice that to get to my desired end result.

I read an article stating that if you weren't satisfied with the new 2010 GX, then you should take a look at the Land Rover LR4. However, the writer stated that he would not own the Land Rover out of warranty. Hence, I'm looking at the Rover, but my heart still sides with continuing my Lexus relationship.

It's hard to leave the Lexus family, because of the products and services that they provide, but the Land Rover Sport and LR4 are very capable looking vehicles. Price: There are a few other SUV's that I can get at or below what the GX is currently going for, but they aren't the "new hotness" anymore. Maybe I will wait and see what the next new hotness is, before I jump the gun on a new GX...

Oh forgot to mention, the article also stated that Lexus did not plan on selling many of these GX's; they made it for the diehard fans and followers.

P.S. If the dealers start dealing, then all bets are off!
Old 01-01-10, 06:37 PM
Craig B

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Wait until March and dealers will start to deal...

Craig
Old 01-04-10, 05:26 AM
GRAYM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the redesign was long awaited.....and they can keep it. i will keep my 03 GX and continue to enjoy it and the lack of a payment each month. The squaring off of all of the interior is just not acceptable....too boxy on the interior.
Old 01-07-10, 12:05 PM
JessePS

One thing I like about the new GX its the Rain-sensing Wipers with De-Icer thats so needed here in Quebec for the winter.
Old 01-07-10, 01:37 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like the new GX will be available in Canada in a week or two. I'll go try it out and post my personal impressions as soon my local dealer has one for me to test drive.
Old 01-08-10, 11:05 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I waited and waited for the new GX. I had a 2005 Limited 4Runner and was ready to move up to Lexus. I ended up getting the RX once I did the research. The interiors are almost identical in room as far as shoulder, hip, and leg room. The cargo space on the RX is actually bigger. The 'barn door' was a killer for me as I wanted the power lift gate. Gas milage was a concern too since we all know that gas is not returning to under $2 a gallon. The load height is a problem. I could care less about the 3rd row. All it does is use up valuable space. The spray painted silver plastic pieces of the dash and door were the final killer. I can get spray painted parts from Ford. $60k for spray painted plastic, I think not. To me the running boards are just in the way.

In talking with the dealer about buying the GX they showed me the pricing. Are you nuts? I got a completely loaded RX, more features than the GX, for less than the base price of the GX. The dealer also told me that they were not allowed to discount them off the MSRP, per Lexus. Lexus is not going to build a base GX so you end up $10k higher, at least, for less of a vehicle.

I have been very happy with my decision. The RX is as roomy as the 4Runner and carries the same amount of cargo. The ride is so much better and the gas milage even better. I have heard that Lexus will phase out the LX570 and the GX will be there only SUV. They need to tweak it some more if this is going to be the last SUV standing.
Old 01-08-10, 11:58 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MEP7557
I waited and waited for the new GX. I had a 2005 Limited 4Runner and was ready to move up to Lexus. I ended up getting the RX once I did the research. The interiors are almost identical in room as far as shoulder, hip, and leg room. The cargo space on the RX is actually bigger. The 'barn door' was a killer for me as I wanted the power lift gate. Gas milage was a concern too since we all know that gas is not returning to under $2 a gallon. The load height is a problem. I could care less about the 3rd row. All it does is use up valuable space. The spray painted silver plastic pieces of the dash and door were the final killer. I can get spray painted parts from Ford. $60k for spray painted plastic, I think not. To me the running boards are just in the way.

In talking with the dealer about buying the GX they showed me the pricing. Are you nuts? I got a completely loaded RX, more features than the GX, for less than the base price of the GX. The dealer also told me that they were not allowed to discount them off the MSRP, per Lexus. Lexus is not going to build a base GX so you end up $10k higher, at least, for less of a vehicle.

I have been very happy with my decision. The RX is as roomy as the 4Runner and carries the same amount of cargo. The ride is so much better and the gas milage even better. I have heard that Lexus will phase out the LX570 and the GX will be there only SUV. They need to tweak it some more if this is going to be the last SUV standing.
Great choice

As far as Lexus killing the LX, I doubt that's true, and I would question your source for that info. The LX has higher profit margin and sells at a decent rate for a vehicle of it's price. If any of Lexus SUVs were to be killed the GX would have been the prime candidate but lo and behold Lexus redesigned it, and brought out the 2010 GX460...

What to expect is a new CUV slotted below the RX and possibly another CUV slotted above the RX in the mid 40s segment that the GX has left.

But anyway I agree on your sentiments toward the new GX. Well not completely, but I agree that Lexus could have done better especially since they increased the price so much.
Old 01-08-10, 04:02 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The RX and GX generally appeal to different people. CUV car based wagon vs. SUV truck based vehicle. The GX is the better vehicle for towing (the front wheel drive RX is not even recommended for ANY towing), off-roading, the GX does have more leg room, and more headroom in back and the same up front when the RX is equipped with a moonroof and more hip room than the RX.

As far as the satin nickel painted trim, most cars now days have some of this. In fact, doesn't the RX have it around the stereo controls as well? I personally love interiors with satin nickel trim. I think it looks great, lightens up the interior, gives you a bit more of a modern feel and complements wood trim quite nicely.

The GX does have the barn door style rear door, but it does have the lift up glass in which I believe the RX does not have.

The GX appeals to people who do not like the "cutesy" CUV style of vehicles and who prefer traditional, more rugged SUVs. Myself being one of them.

In regards to your comment about the LX, it is not going anywhere. No sales person has a clue about vehicles before you and I do. Everyone is given the same information at the exact same time in a press release from Toyota. No dealership has "insider info." The LX is in a completley different arena from the RX. The LX competes with premium SUV's such as the Range Rover, Escalade, G-Class, QX56 among others. The truck finds plenty of it's target buyers each year.

I'm glad you found the right vehicle for your needs, but everyone has different desires and expectations from their vehicles. CUV's and Hybrids to putt around in are the only two market segments that I will never consider. The GX, LX and similar vehicles fit my needs when it comes to an SUV. Clearly, this is why they make so many different types of vehicles for different people's needs.

Last edited by jjbenzo; 01-08-10 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-08-10, 04:18 PM
dgsvt
Driver

For the price of the "premium" model, they should have put the 5.7 engine in it. This would have made the loaded premium model price of 67K more reasonable.
Old 01-08-10, 08:59 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OH! You're one of those.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New GX460!