Old 10-28-09, 11:52 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

black leather!!!
Old 10-28-09, 11:56 AM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not sure I like the front. I was hoping it would look a bit more rugged like the Prado upfront...at least the headlights. I am glad to hear HID's will finally be available, and I love the LED taillights. Everything else looks great though. I like the interior, the leather on the dash and the metal trim.
Old 10-28-09, 12:17 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that front end looks like someone hacked at the front of an MDX wich a machete. It looks really bad...nothing flows at all. Lexus needs to give up on trying to change the corners and outlines of their grilles- it looks flat out cheap.

The rest looks nice but that front end really might be a deal breaker...yuck.
Old 10-28-09, 12:37 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thx for the pics. Before, I was expecting a vehicle which has a Lexus-style front end, and more subtly restyled sides and rear, given the LX, plus a more plush interior. So far, looks like the front end is there, and it reminds me of an evolution of the 1GX front end with some 3RX cues. It's a conservative update, which reflects the nature of the GX/LX types in the Lexus lineup. The interior second view in black shows the door panels, and it seems they are going for a wood inlay look, also from the side angle one sides the curvature of the center stack, along with added wood on the center console.
Old 10-28-09, 01:58 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that is a really nice interior . Contrary to what the critics said, that side angle shot clearly shows the center dash is curved. I really like how much leather there is in the interior. Also looks like it has an LX-style armrest.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Wow that front end looks like someone hacked at the front of an MDX wich a machete. It looks really bad...nothing flows at all. Lexus needs to give up on trying to change the corners and outlines of their grilles- it looks flat out cheap.

The rest looks nice but that front end really might be a deal breaker...yuck.
Huh, I don't see it, at all .

The front end also looks more luxurious, refined, and expensive compared to the 1st-gen. The MDX front end looks a lot more cheap.

The front end of the 1st-gen GX looks like a Toyota, and that's because it pretty much is a Toyota, not much more than rebadged Prado. This new 2nd-gen GX however is a much different design to the new Prado, and the new GX actually looks like a true Lexus should.
Old 10-28-09, 02:17 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

That front end is not that attractive. What a stupid headlight design. Its clear they had to lower the height of the low beam so they could incorporate HID's, however the outcome is awkward. It still looks more Toyota than Lexus even though they made changes to differentiate the two. Theres no classy ruggedness which is what the GX should be. I'll give it another shot when official pics come out.

Still looks very tall and narrow. Something that I dont like about the current GX. I do like the interior though.

Last edited by GFerg; 10-28-09 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-28-09, 02:17 PM
dbacf
Driver School Candidate

Any additional conmments on the rear door, looks like they intend on keeping the swing with addition of lift up glass. hope I am wrong...
Old 10-28-09, 02:30 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GFerg
That front end is not that attractive. What a stupid headlight design. Its clear they had to lower the height of the low beam so they could incorporate HID's, however the outcome is awkward. It still looks more Toyota than Lexus even though they made changes to differentiate the two. Theres no classy ruggedness which is what the GX should be. I'll give it another shot when official pics come out.

Still looks very tall and narrow. Something that I dont like about the current GX. I do like the interior though.
It's a body-on-frame SUV, there is only so much you can do to make it look lower and wider. Nonetheless, fact is this new GX does look lower and wider than the 1st-gen, so if anything it is an improvement.

I see more "classy ruggedness" in this new design than the 1st-gen, but to each his own.

I find it funny though that this new GX, with a totally different front end compared to the Prado, looks "more Toyota" than the 1st-gen GX which is almost a straight rebadge of the previous-gen Prado.

Originally Posted by dbacf
Any additional conmments on the rear door, looks like they intend on keeping the swing with addition of lift up glass. hope I am wrong...

If it's a swing door, where is the handle? Unless it is concealed, it seems like it might be a more traditional vertically-opening rear door.
Old 10-28-09, 02:48 PM
akfd
Pole Position

The exterior looks tempting enough that I'm going to get one!!
Old 10-28-09, 02:57 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
It's a body-on-frame SUV, there is only so much you can do to make it look lower and wider. Nonetheless, fact is this new GX does look lower and wider than the 1st-gen, so if anything it is an improvement.
I would prefer if the vehicle was wider. The GX IMO always looked very narrow like it will roll over in a turn. But it is what it is.

I see more "classy ruggedness" in this new design than the 1st-gen, but to each his own.
I see another goofy Toyota exterior design, but yes to each his own.

I find it funny though that this new GX, with a totally different front end compared to the Prado, looks "more Toyota" than the 1st-gen GX which is almost a straight rebadge of the previous-gen Prado.
Maybe Lexus should try harder to make it look more like a Lexus. Glad you think the design looks great for a Lexus, but I don't. Again, I'll give it another shot when official pics come out. Until then, no bueno.
Old 10-28-09, 03:39 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The GX has always been more in the mold of the LX, namely a Lexus because of its V8 engine, upmarket interior, and assorted tech. It capitalizes on its Land Cruiser (Prado) connection and doesn't shy from it in nearly the same way as other shared-platform Lexus models, or stand apart like purpose-built Lexus only vehicles. The styling does not necessarily match that of the Lexus lineup (some observers I've overheard called the GX the ugliest of all Lexus models). I thought the 1GX had a rugged quality, and I liked the side window treatment (which the 3LX has now emulated). However, with the 3LX debut, what they called L-finesse I did not see as the purest form of that styling philosophy, rather an adaptation (particularly in the front) to the Land Cruiser style.

With the 2GX, I'm also not expecting a great looker, but rather a conservative interpretation, with mainly front end changes a la 3LX. What shows Lexus making a step forward is in greater interior differentiation, which is a step up from the 1GX. However, I would tend to expect a more radical and beautiful styling implementation on a purpose-built Lexus crossover, say a larger VX or smaller JX. The GX is what it is, and the mission profile and design origins reflect that IMO.
Old 10-28-09, 07:57 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by encore888
The GX has always been more in the mold of the LX, namely a Lexus because of its V8 engine, upmarket interior, and assorted tech. It capitalizes on its Land Cruiser (Prado) connection and doesn't shy from it in nearly the same way as other shared-platform Lexus models, or stand apart like purpose-built Lexus only vehicles. The styling does not necessarily match that of the Lexus lineup (some observers I've overheard called the GX the ugliest of all Lexus models). I thought the 1GX had a rugged quality, and I liked the side window treatment (which the 3LX has now emulated). However, with the 3LX debut, what they called L-finesse I did not see as the purest form of that styling philosophy, rather an adaptation (particularly in the front) to the Land Cruiser style.

With the 2GX, I'm also not expecting a great looker, but rather a conservative interpretation, with mainly front end changes a la 3LX. What shows Lexus making a step forward is in greater interior differentiation, which is a step up from the 1GX. However, I would tend to expect a more radical and beautiful styling implementation on a purpose-built Lexus crossover, say a larger VX or smaller JX. The GX is what it is, and the mission profile and design origins reflect that IMO.
Some good points. I also must say that considering the price differential between the GX and LX, the new interior really looks great with all that leather and wood. The satin metal-look trim is a nice touch too.
Old 10-28-09, 09:59 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus went from having clean cut, classy grilles to now trying all sorts of weird details.

ex-

Having the headlight incorporated into the chrome bar looks absolutely ridiculous:

Chrome whiskers on the RX also look stupid:

...and I wont even go into the hybrids.

Having a simple shape with simple, classy details is really the best way to execute a grille IMO. The LS does it perfectly:

So, the GX has this weird detail where the chrome bars fan out as they go up toward the hood but the inner section of the grille is somewhat squared off. A Lexus grille should be obviously trapezoidal in shape, not nearly rectangular. The odd shape of the headlights combined with the messy chrome and awkwardly angled bars really just looks stupid. Three huge bars with that mis-matched looking detail just is not harmonious on a grille that large.

It looks bad. Period. If they went with less chrome and a less-stupid horizontal bar the front of the thing would look fine.

Quick Reply: 2011 lexus gx interior!!!