GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2010 Gx460

Old 09-06-08, 09:45 PM
HRM5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Gx460

Yes, I typed that right. I don't know if you guys already knew this, but I went to my dealership a little bit ago and found out something interesting. My salesman said (don't know if it is correct or not), the salesman at the Lexus dealership said that he had attended a Lexus informational meeting a few days ago about future models. He said that the GX would downsize its engine to the LS460 engine, change the 4WD to AWD, and make the overall dimensions smaller to make the vehicle more efficient (therefore losing the 4WD lever). He claimed that it would come out in late '09 as an '10 model. Again, not 100% positive this is true, but he claimed it was.

Sorry if this is a repost, I am just passing on what I learned.
Old 09-06-08, 10:36 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very interesting, thx for sharing. I've also heard rumors that the GX might be replaced by a 7-seat crossover type vehicle that resembles the LF-X concept.
Old 09-06-08, 10:38 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Doubt it. Unless the 4runner is also going to change which I have not stumbled on.
Old 09-07-08, 06:03 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HRM5

Yes, I typed that right. I don't know if you guys already knew this, but I went to my dealership a little bit ago and found out something interesting. My salesman said (don't know if it is correct or not), the salesman at the Lexus dealership said that he had attended a Lexus informational meeting a few days ago about future models. He said that the GX would downsize its engine to the LS460 engine, change the 4WD to AWD, and make the overall dimensions smaller to make the vehicle more efficient (therefore losing the 4WD lever). He claimed that it would come out in late '09 as an '10 model. Again, not 100% positive this is true, but he claimed it was.

Sorry if this is a repost, I am just passing on what I learned.
I'm under the impression that the GX is already an all-wheel-drive and the lever is to change the drive shaft ratio.

~ Cap
Old 09-07-08, 06:13 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

He said that the GX would downsize its engine to the LS460 engine, change the 4WD to AWD, and make the overall dimensions smaller to make the vehicle more efficient (therefore losing the 4WD lever).
The next generation GX has to become more cross over than body on frame and will have to have IRS to have any hope for sales in the US market. The current GX is really a rebadge Toyota Prado which comes in diesel form and with such things as cooler box, RHD, 4.0 v6 and a 180 litre fuel tank.

I believe the GX470 is only sold in Canada and USA with the 4.7 and Lexus badge.

[Doubt it. Unless the 4runner is also going to change which I have not stumbled on.
I think the 4runner will still be based off the Prado/tacoma/FJ design but for the USA...The GX will have its own crossover design. Time will tell I guess.

Last edited by pagemaster; 09-07-08 at 06:21 AM.
Old 09-08-08, 08:34 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

This is the rumor I been hearing all along. The re-design GX will be a crossover with AWD. The LS460's engine is a monster, its a much nicer engine than the current 4.7 liter.
Old 09-08-08, 10:53 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
This is the rumor I been hearing all along. The re-design GX will be a crossover with AWD. The LS460's engine is a monster, its a much nicer engine than the current 4.7 liter.
Good for a crossover...but bad for a towing or off-road capable truck. I heard that the 4.6L V8 is a bit soft at low rpms. If it's going to be a crossover, then the 4.6V8 should be good...otherwise, i rather take the old 4.7L V8 anytime.
Old 09-08-08, 11:01 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Of course a ladder frame truck is better for towing and off road, but very bad for gas mileage. The LS460 who weight almost as much as the GX470 is almost 3 seconds faster from 0 to 60 mph. There is a lot of torque at the low end in the 4.6 liter, maybe when you hook a trailer onto it, then its a diff story.
Old 09-08-08, 06:30 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I can't say that I am disappointed by this news - if it is true. I for one would love it if the GX went smaller and less utilitarian, faster 0-60 times or not. Then I would feel less compelled to go out and buy the bigger badder new GX model. Sorry, but Crossovers just don't do it for me.

If this really is the case, which I doubt, what would happen to the RX??? I think a redesign that would shrink the overall dimensions would eat to much into the RX's market. The RX IMO is more crossover then it is SUV.
Old 09-08-08, 08:09 PM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Of course a ladder frame truck is better for towing and off road, but very bad for gas mileage. The LS460 who weight almost as much as the GX470 is almost 3 seconds faster from 0 to 60 mph. There is a lot of torque at the low end in the 4.6 liter, maybe when you hook a trailer onto it, then its a diff story.
The 4.6 might feel a little softer due to the gear ratios in the LS vs GX, and also due to fact 4.7 achieves the max torque quicker (4.6 367@4,100 vs 4.7 323@3,400). The difference in weight is between 600-700 pounds (depends if you have 3rd row seats - GX heavier). Also 4.6 has 11.8:1 compression, 4.7 has 10:1. There are also difference in (above mentioned) gear ratios and aerodynamic resistance (related due to the shape of the respective vehicles - you need higher ratio to push a brick to 60mph). When you are talking about putting an engine into an off-road truck, lower compression ratio is the way to go. It makes it for more reliable and less finicky engine. Also, is your gearbox and transfer case going to take so much power and punishment. It's my understanding that Toyota pulled the supercharger for 4.7 off the market because of blown engines and transmissions. So many variables and differences. None the less, I would love to see 380HP and 367 lb-ft in the GX !!! But also the cost of the 4.6 has to be much higher than the 4.7. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Hmmm, my lease will be up in early 2010 ....
Old 09-09-08, 05:45 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The biggest difference between the 4.7 L and the new 4.6 L is direct injection. The 4.6 L actually produce more horse power while using less fuel. The 4.6 L is not a true truck engine, thats why Lexus is going to market the new GX as a crosssover and leave the off roading to the LX.
Old 09-09-08, 11:32 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

The GX is an AWD vehicle with a level to switch it into a low range, and the rumor about the 460 is not the LS460 engine, it's the 4.7L I-Force engine being improved, becoming a 4.6L with improved gas mileage and horsepower
Old 09-09-08, 03:09 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EDGE2
The GX is an AWD vehicle with a level to switch it into a low range, and the rumor about the 460 is not the LS460 engine, it's the 4.7L I-Force engine being improved, becoming a 4.6L with improved gas mileage and horsepower

This has been the ongoing rumour for the 2010 sequioa/Tundra in terms of the new 4.6L engine option for better mileage & HP figures as stated above. (posted by auto news I think?)

One could then assume(I know bad sometimes) that the 4runner which has shared engines with both the current tundra/sequioa will then gain the new 4.6L V8 as an optional engine also.

Brandon
Old 09-09-08, 06:19 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Trademark of GX460 was registered on August 1, 2007.

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?...ate=cp61v3.1.1

Enter "GX460" on the search

Chu...
Old 09-09-08, 07:57 PM
kutsyy
Driver

Originally Posted by cssnms
I can't say that I am disappointed by this news - if it is true. I for one would love it if the GX went smaller and less utilitarian, faster 0-60 times or not. Then I would feel less compelled to go out and buy the bigger badder new GX model. Sorry, but Crossovers just don't do it for me.
This is similar to what I was thinking . If Toyota will create a mall cruiser instead of 4Runner/GX, then price of current 4Runner/GX will not depreciate as high, so when I'll total the car in another 5 years, I would get nice payoff from insurance. and by then they would hopefully drop price on Land Cruzer .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 Gx460