ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-2nd-gen-2010-2023-219/)
-   -   Odor (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-2nd-gen-2010-2023/808829-odor.html)

SUVISME 01-11-16 06:18 PM

Odor

My GX460 (2000 miles) has an odor after driving it from the rear. Smells like burnt rubber. Normal? I notice it mostly when I pull into the garage.

Jacket 01-12-16 07:35 AM

Given that you are from Mass., my guess is that it's related to wet roads and/or road treatment salts and the like. My '96 Land Cruiser has it, and it's more common with the older models that have less plastics/aprons and other protective materials. I'm not sure exactly what the root cause is, but something from the wet/snowy road gets onto the exhaust and/or catalytic converter, and as this debris burns off from the heat of the exhaust, it gives off the smell.

It's difficult to confirm this with 100% certainty, but you can try and compare times when you sense the smell now, and see if maybe in the summer you do not smell it anymore.

CAWjr 01-12-16 08:38 AM

It's most likely that it is so new. I have read here that there are coatings, treatments, etc that are on the car that need to "burn off" in the first few months & they can cause an odor. I know that I have had some odd smells come from my truck (1722 miles so far), but they were short lived & eventually went away.

Eppieguy 01-12-16 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by CAWjr (Post 9320181)
It's most likely that it is so new. I have read here that there are coatings, treatments, etc that are on the car that need to "burn off" in the first few months & they can cause an odor. I know that I have had some odd smells come from my truck (1722 miles so far), but they were short lived & eventually went away.

I agree :circlel

SUVISME 01-12-16 01:47 PM

A) I've owned it for 6 months and 8000 miles so I would thought that initial coatings would be burned off by now and the odor, when I pull in my garage, would have dissipated. It has not.

B) I've seen reference to odd odors from GX catalytic converters. My bet is... that's what I'm smelling. I don't know much more about that topic tho. I guess I'm just trying to determine if this is "normal" - and I should not worry about it -- or -- if there's something wrong with the vehicle.

C) I smelled it from Day One (acquired the car over the summer) so during all different temp/weather. So I don't think it's wet/snow/road treatments, etc.

I have not asked the dealer about it - yet.

CAWjr 01-12-16 01:55 PM

The catalytic converter on my 2006 V8 4Runner was subject to a TSB because whenever you accelerated, you got a very strong rotten egg odor, especially if you had the rear hatch window rolled down. Even after the TSB was performed, the truck still has an odor when accelerating & it now has 110k miles on it.

I don't know if the issue is the same, but it's certainly in the realm of possibility.