ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-2nd-gen-2010-2023-219/)
-   -   Official GX Tire/Wheel Thread (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-2nd-gen-2010-2023/808613-official-gx-tire-wheel-thread.html)

gregGX 11-28-22 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Cslaedd (Post 11400503)
Bought my wife a new 2023 GX460 and decided to upgrade the tires to give it a more aggressive look. Added a full roof rack as well and happy with the results. Next is blacking out emblems, smoking the tail lights and adding a step ladder.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...b6dae4c1ab.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...6926fa558d.jpg

Looks good, I also have a '23 and curious what tires did you go with? Any rubbing issues?

Also, what rack did you go with? I just ordered the Southern Style Offroad full rack, that looks similar.

Both of these changes remove the soccer parents vibe.

Randyman 11-28-22 09:29 AM

RE Speedo: Mine is basically spot-on with 265/65/18 KO2's - checking against Waze GPS. I'd assume the stock "Soccer Mom" tires end up with a slightly faster than accurate speedo reading...

Spare Tire informational tidbit: I'm currently on A WORN SET OF 265/65/18 KO2's (60K). Had to swap on the stock 265/60/18 spare due to a nail in the sidewall. So far no issues (no VSC/TRAC issues) after 100+ highway miles. I can't say if the fact my 265/65's are worn has any effect - but I was worried when Discount Tire informed me they would not repair after removing the tire off the wheel, and put the spare on. I slightly overinflated the spare to 38-39psi, and took my KO2's down from 45psi to 40psi as a precaution.

New set of KO2's on the way later this week! Well overdue. Fronts are really bad...

RV

Cslaedd 11-28-22 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by gregGX (Post 11400566)
Looks good, I also have a '23 and curious what tires did you go with? Any rubbing issues?

Also, what rack did you go with? I just ordered the Southern Style Offroad full rack, that looks similar.

Both of these changes remove the soccer parents vibe.

I went with the Falken Wild peak 265/65/18 and have experienced no rubbing at all. I bought the rack on eBay for $800 but the instructions came in Chinese and it took me a while to get it installed. Quality is good but install was a *****.

GXNick 11-28-22 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Randyman (Post 11400744)
RE Speedo: Mine is basically spot-on with 265/65/18 KO2's - checking against Waze GPS. I'd assume the stock "Soccer Mom" tires end up with a slightly faster than accurate speedo reading...

Spare Tire informational tidbit: I'm currently on A WORN SET OF 265/65/18 KO2's (60K). Had to swap on the stock 265/60/18 spare due to a nail in the sidewall. So far no issues (no VSC/TRAC issues) after 100+ highway miles. I can't say if the fact my 265/65's are worn has any effect - but I was worried when Discount Tire informed me they would not repair after removing the tire off the wheel, and put the spare on. I slightly overinflated the spare to 38-39psi, and took my KO2's down from 45psi to 40psi as a precaution.

New set of KO2's on the way later this week! Well overdue. Fronts are really bad...

RV

What are your thoughts about noise with the KO2’s ? I had them on my 4Runner and at first they were quiet but after about 20k miles the noise on the highway was ridiculous. And this was with rotating every 5k miles and checking the pressure every 2 weeks .
I will say though that they sure look good . BFG has a fairly new AT tire out called the Trail Terrain that’s suppose to be designed to be a quiet AT tire .

Randyman 11-28-22 03:09 PM

I don't find the KO2's loud at all. Especially when the "look how big it is" Fords and Chevy's drive by with their mud tires that ARE really loud lol. Ran 3 or 4 sets of KO2's on my 4Runner (and O.G. KO's on '99 Tacoma and '87 4Runner prior), and now this set on the GX. I will say the weight is noticeable (the E's are 50lbs ea) - but I like the ride and security of knowing the tires are not the weak link. A tire shop with a Hunter Roadforce Balancing machine and a good tech are a must for a smooth ride. My Tacoma always had issues with KO/KO2's and horrible freeway vibrations before I went to a different shop with a Roadforce balance. Literally night and day!!!

I was a VERY bad boy - and didn't even rotate my current set once! Run between 40-45psi - and might check pressures once a month (or at a major temp change). I still got over 60K (worn now), and have no complaints.

I looked at the newer "P" series Trail Terrain you mentioned - seem like "pretend LT's". I think I'll stick with the real-deal KO2 LT's. But the Trail Terrain are likely a good match for most user's driving needs (mall crawlers and 100mi/day commuters like me :p ). The E-Load sidewalls on the KO2 give me an unneeded sense of confidence on my paved playground. If I was worried about un-sprung weight and fuel economy, a GX would not be in my garage...

ASE 11-28-22 07:38 PM

Unless one is anal about speedo accuracy ... one is better off if running taller tires given more distance is covered than indicated by the speedometer ... so there is an advantage in terms of warranty coverage.

GXNick 11-29-22 03:52 AM

Just how much is the speedometer off at say 70 mph ?

ASE 11-29-22 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by GXNick (Post 11401224)

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

ScaldedDog 11-29-22 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by GXNick (Post 11401224)

I haven't tested my GX, but most other cars I've owned are off by about 2mph at 70. Going up one increment in tire size (e.g. from 265/75-16 to 285/75-16 on my Excursion) would make the speedo accurate.

I'm surprised changing the tire size used to determine vehicle speed isn't easily doable on Toyota vehicles. It's trivially easy with many other brands. (e.g. the Forscan, Jscan and Bimmercode apps will do this dirt cheap on Ford, Jeep and BMW, respectively.) Those apps are similar to Carista for Japanese cars, but it appears Carista doesn't support tire size changes. Would Techstream?

Mark

Randyman 11-29-22 03:07 PM

Agree. I'm pretty much spot-on at 70-80MPH with the 265/65/18's and safe to assume stock tires lead to an artificially inflated (no pun) speedo reading...

308guru 11-30-22 09:55 AM

Has anyone run a set of BFG Trail Terrain's? Not sure I want to put K02's on the mall crawler and I noticed the Trail Terrain. Seems to be a tamed down K02.

Any feedback from someone who has used them?

ASE 11-30-22 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by mckeand13 (Post 11402021)
Has anyone run a set of BFG Trail Terrain's? Not sure I want to put K02's on the mall crawler and I noticed the Trail Terrain. Seems to be a tamed down K02.

I was (past tense) a BFG fan for life ... always ran BFG All-Terrains for well over 30-years ... but gave up on them given constant balancing issues and out-of-round issues beyond 50% tread wear. I thought the Michelin acquisition of BFG would improve this situation, but that was not the case. I run Michelin tires on every non-truck vehicle I have ever owned for context.

Family member got Trail Terrain's for their 4-Runner recently ... yes, Roadforce balanced ... but required a crazy amount of weight ... never felt balanced even with multiple returns for re-balance.

So the long-short ... I now run NITTO tires ... they balance ... they are round ... and stay round over the tread life. BFG is now dead to me in comparison.

bagom 11-30-22 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by mckeand13 (Post 11402021)

I was on the same journey for new tires. I thought KO2's at this point were an over kill but wanted something that would allow me go on dirt roads, snow, etc.. while I go down the upgrade path. I wanted the Trail Terrain but saw tire racks review and wet stopping was horrible:

I ended up with ordering the Costco version of the Michelin Defender LTX m/s.

ASE 11-30-22 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by bagom (Post 11402227)
I was on the same journey for new tires. I thought KO2's at this point were an over kill but wanted something that would allow me go on dirt roads, snow, etc.. while I go down the upgrade path. I wanted the Trail Terrain but saw tire racks review and wet stopping was horrible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h6QPdwaCbg

I ended up with ordering the Costco version of the Michelin Defender LTX m/s.

Excellent choice ... while the Michelin Defender LTX M/S looks like a "Soccer Mom" tire ... it is probably the best all-around light truck tire in existence ... great handling, steering response, directional stability, dry and wet traction ... and is actually very good in snow and ice conditions for a non-winter dedicated tire ... and it has a 70,000 mile warranty !

Check out this review ... https://tractionlife.com/michelin-de...ltx-ms-review/ ... amazing they do so well even in off-road conditions ... yes, these tires are amazing.

bagom 12-02-22 04:39 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...511dd4aad5.jpg