ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-2nd-gen-2010-2023-219/)
-   -   Window Visors? Cargo Basket? Pic Request (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-2nd-gen-2010-2023/741450-window-visors-cargo-basket-pic-request.html)

iialcii 05-07-14 09:47 PM

Window Visors? Cargo Basket? Pic Request

I was wondering if anyone on CL have window visors installed on their second Gen gx460? I was looking for something clean and subtle (I know its not everyone's cup of tea).

Weathertech channel window visors?

any other brand?

PICS requested!

Also, does anyone have a cargo basket mounted on the crossbars? I was planning on getting one for road trips/camping trips with the family. I've seen pics of cargo boxes but wondering about cargo baskets! I've tried searching but came up with nothing. I know modding the gx is slim to none.

Thanks in advance.

KVA 05-08-14 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by iialcii (Post 8525624)
I was wondering if anyone on CL have window visors installed on their second Gen gx460? I was looking for something clean and subtle (I know its not everyone's cup of tea).

Weathertech channel window visors?

any other brand?

PICS requested!

Also, does anyone have a cargo basket mounted on the crossbars? I was planning on getting one for road trips/camping trips with the family. I've seen pics of cargo boxes but wondering about cargo baskets! I've tried searching but came up with nothing. I know modding the gx is slim to none.

Thanks in advance.

No visors here - but I am sure they will come along. In terms of cargo basket, instead you should look at a skybox/rooftop box from Yakima or Thule. I have a yakima and it works awesome. Have already used it on the GX and it functions great, stores a lot of stuff, is pretty damn weather resistant, and way more aero dynamic than just throwing stuff in a basket. Luggage will fit in these boxes without issue.

In terms of mods - anything you can do to a 4Runner you can do to the GX (within reason). There is even a ARB front bumper available if you want. Of course, any mod requires removing stock - so if you have the shock setup with firmness selector, ride height, etc... that would all get yanked out (easy to do) if you decided to upgrade that but leaves a bunch of useless knobs/switches in the center console - which is annoying unless you reuse those spots for switching other things like an onboard air, lights, hot power, etc... Most of the suspension items all look like it's a direct swap from the T4R, along with skid plates, brakes, rotors...Custom roof racks are possible...obviously wheels/tires...removal of the side skirts would allow you to add sliders as the mount points are the same as the T4R. You just have to deal with any gaps due to removal... lot's of things you can do...

With the will and money - anything is possible :D

iialcii 05-08-14 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by KVA (Post 8526288)
No visors here - but I am sure they will come along. In terms of cargo basket, instead you should look at a skybox/rooftop box from Yakima or Thule. I have a yakima and it works awesome. Have already used it on the GX and it functions great, stores a lot of stuff, is pretty damn weather resistant, and way more aero dynamic than just throwing stuff in a basket. Luggage will fit in these boxes without issue.

In terms of mods - anything you can do to a 4Runner you can do to the GX (within reason). There is even a ARB front bumper available if you want. Of course, any mod requires removing stock - so if you have the shock setup with firmness selector, ride height, etc... that would all get yanked out (easy to do) if you decided to upgrade that but leaves a bunch of useless knobs/switches in the center console - which is annoying unless you reuse those spots for switching other things like an onboard air, lights, hot power, etc... Most of the suspension items all look like it's a direct swap from the T4R, along with skid plates, brakes, rotors...Custom roof racks are possible...obviously wheels/tires...removal of the side skirts would allow you to add sliders as the mount points are the same as the T4R. You just have to deal with any gaps due to removal... lot's of things you can do...

With the will and money - anything is possible :D

Thanks for the input! I'll definitely look into a sky box as an option. Hmm I'm tempted into getting the visors from weathertech, was looking for other options for a sleeker design kinda like the oem IS visors.

I'm digging your T4R. I was originally in the market for a 2014 4runner, but due to the lack of stock and dealers selling for MSRP, I decided to pick up a 2014 GX instead for a little more $ for some positive trade offs such as the V8 and interior. I'm totally happy with the purchase and hardly ever see other 2014's on the road.

I've been getting the mod bug itch... I guess I been lurking too much on the 4runner forums. :egads:

KVA 05-09-14 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by iialcii (Post 8527382)
Thanks for the input! I'll definitely look into a sky box as an option. Hmm I'm tempted into getting the visors from weathertech, was looking for other options for a sleeker design kinda like the oem IS visors.

I'm digging your T4R. I was originally in the market for a 2014 4runner, but due to the lack of stock and dealers selling for MSRP, I decided to pick up a 2014 GX instead for a little more $ for some positive trade offs such as the V8 and interior. I'm totally happy with the purchase and hardly ever see other 2014's on the road.

I've been getting the mod bug itch... I guess I been lurking too much on the 4runner forums. :egads:

Weather Tech stuff is great...I wouldn't hesitate to use their products. I have their mats in both trucks.

I have both - as you can see in my sig - and the GX is a great truck. My 1st Gen GX had KDSS (very rare) and I would not do a GX stock without it. Super capable truck right out of the box - basically a luxury trail edition/limited hybrid.

Yes, my T4R has quite a few mods, lol. More to come...waiting on the rear bumper from CBI w/ lights, new aluminum front skid - slightly customized to adjust for the ARB front bumper, LCA skids, and I will see if I have enough guts to install one of about only 10 snorkles in existence for the 5th gen...

The great thing about the GX is that the frame and general suspension elements are the same so it would be super easy to mod using 5th Gen T4R parts. Technically - you would need to use both the Trail Edition and Limited parts due to KDSS, etc...

Speaking of mods - getting my group buy from BeatSonic today - great deal BTW.

Eppieguy 05-09-14 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by KVA (Post 8528103)
Speaking of mods - getting my group buy from BeatSonic today - great deal BTW.

I got mine today, how do you get the dash apart? No instructions for that in the box.

KVA 05-09-14 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Eppieguy (Post 8528292)
I got mine today, how do you get the dash apart? No instructions for that in the box.

Waiting on mine now...don't know about instructions, but I would hit up BeatSonic if they didn't include them. Going to tackle this tomorrow - wife permitting - lol

That said - most pulling apart of the dash is by hand - basically pulling the parts off. this will get you to the few bolts actually holding things together. Use only plastic pry tools if you got 'em.

KVA 05-09-14 11:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Eppieguy (Post 8528292)

Funny - just got it - with the Attachment 328022

Eppieguy 05-09-14 01:02 PM

Holy Crap..... Thanks, I thought this was supposed to be any easy job. Maybe just looks bad on paper.

KVA 05-09-14 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Eppieguy (Post 8528486)
Holy Crap..... Thanks, I thought this was supposed to be any easy job. Maybe just looks bad on paper.

Like I said - it's all pulling (physically) the parts off. Shouldn't take too long. Takes me about a minute to take apart my T4R dash/center these days...lol...I think you'll be surprised - just pull with equal force and if needed use a plastic pry tool to help it along. Everything should pop right out.

Look like only two bolts too and probably 10mm.

tecman 05-09-14 05:58 PM

I am procrastinating the Beat Sonic purchase but I will buy it before the end of the month. I installed a DVD on the Navi in my MDX and the break down process looks to be the same (I had to splice into wires for the MDX).
The PDF instructions may seem intimidating for the Beat Sonic but have no fear.
It may take longer to remove the dash the first time but if you ever need to go back into the dash for any reason you will do it with comfortable knowledge and in much less time.

KVA 05-10-14 03:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finished the SonicBeat install, car wash, and yellow fog add...

Note that the instructions for the 2014 GX is only partially correct. Basically stop after you finish #8 then skip to #13 - it will save you 50% of the time it takes to do this install. I highly recommend plastic pry tools for this - made it super easy.

They also forget to tell you about plugging in the GPS bypass - funny thing is there are two plugs that look identical - pick the inside one - furthest away from the truck's start/stop button.

It works great...played a DVD, all Nav features were available.

I put the switch here - no drilling or alterations at all with this install:

Attachment 328234

And used some leftover Lamin-X to make the LED fogs yellow...

Attachment 328235

tecman 05-10-14 04:49 PM

That's a great location for the switch. Thanks for the heads up on the directions ( I have a 2011 so maybe it will be different ) not a surprise that an after market device instructions would be incorrect. :sad:
Thanks KVA

iialcii 05-11-14 09:33 PM

Beat sonic..... very tempting I'm for sure going to look into this. Keep the mods going! I'm still in the fence about visors but if I get them ill post pics up.

iialcii 05-25-14 01:45 PM

I caved in and purchased them. I guess i'll be the first to show off some pics of the visors. Overall happy with the quality and fit. Looks pretty nice IMO. enjoy

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...524_194218.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...524_194150.jpg

iialcii 05-25-14 01:46 PM

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...524_194235.jpg

I peeled off the weathertech stickers on the front visors kinda PIA, took some goo gone to wipe off the residue.