GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX loses power at Moab

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-19, 04:40 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 752 Likes on 616 Posts
Default GX loses power at Moab

I'm glad that no one was hurt.

https://jalopnik.com/dont-stop-payin...g-i-1836457482
Old 07-17-19, 07:53 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

This one has been all over the social media since the weekend, took out 2 GX's in one shot!

They say the engine stalled when the truck slipped, and the brakes went to the floor, crazy!
Old 07-17-19, 08:37 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

It’s always “a deer” or my brakes didn’t work”, when someone screws up..

they are so so lucky that didn’t end way worse.

Im curious how quickly his insurance will be sending the “non-renewal” notice?
Old 07-18-19, 06:25 AM
anotherGX
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any pictures of the actual damages it caused to both vehicle?
Old 07-18-19, 07:55 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MrJason
It’s always “a deer” or my brakes didn’t work”, when someone screws up..

they are so so lucky that didn’t end way worse.

Im curious how quickly his insurance will be sending the “non-renewal” notice?
Well obviously it wasnt "a deer" or "my brakes didnt work" that was the issue of this event. If you are following the thread on GXOR you will read and understand the event first hand from the driver.

The driver didnt blame a deer or anyone other than himself. The video from Jalopnik does not show the whole ride up, go on GXOR to find video and also bonus footage of the injured GX finishing hells gate too! Im a level 9 off-roading mage with no skill outside of the starbucks drive through but from what i read and watched (videos) of other toyotas.... its uncommonly common that when you combine steep grade + slipping off one of your gripping wall + rolling back + wheel spin... the chances of a stalled motor is there... and when you stall the motor you loose brake vacuum from the front (rears are electronic but too weak to stop the roll back)

moral of the story is... Chit happens when you go wheeling but fortunately everyone is safe.
Old 07-18-19, 04:15 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vwynn
Well obviously it wasnt "a deer" or "my brakes didnt work" that was the issue of this event. If you are following the thread on GXOR you will read and understand the event first hand from the driver.

The driver didnt blame a deer or anyone other than himself. The video from Jalopnik does not show the whole ride up, go on GXOR to find video and also bonus footage of the injured GX finishing hells gate too! Im a level 9 off-roading mage with no skill outside of the starbucks drive through but from what i read and watched (videos) of other toyotas.... its uncommonly common that when you combine steep grade + slipping off one of your gripping wall + rolling back + wheel spin... the chances of a stalled motor is there... and when you stall the motor you loose brake vacuum from the front (rears are electronic but too weak to stop the roll back)

moral of the story is... Chit happens when you go wheeling but fortunately everyone is safe.

If you don’t take my comment literally... which I’m sure 99.9% of people didn’t. You’d realize I’m just stating the guy screwed up and blamed it on something other than “driver error”...

but it’s quite obvious that you are biased in some way.

I mean honestly... did you really take my comment literally?? Did you read my comment and think.. “this dude thinks a dear caused this.... what a tool”??? Lol

lighten up...
Old 07-18-19, 06:01 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

Does it seem weird to anyone else that the brakes were kaput when the engine died? I'd have expected him to have a couple pumps before they faded right out. Maybe too steep an incline, but they didn't seem to have any effect at all.

Props for getting it back down on its wheels, as ugly as it was, it could have been much worse.
Old 07-18-19, 08:12 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

I agree with that... it could have been way worse.

although with the style booster used in our GX models.. I’d expect a decent amount of braking power even after one or 2 pumps.
But that hill was so steep I really don’t think breaks would have mattered that much... other than using them at the right points to help keep the vehicle up right.
Old 07-19-19, 06:57 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
Does it seem weird to anyone else that the brakes were kaput when the engine died? I'd have expected him to have a couple pumps before they faded right out. Maybe too steep an incline, but they didn't seem to have any effect at all.

Props for getting it back down on its wheels, as ugly as it was, it could have been much worse.
Considering our trucks also don't use engine vacuum for the BMC and have electric assist I don't understand how the brakes could have failed when the engine died. As long as the key is in run the pump would still maintain pressure for assist. Its impressive that it stayed on 4 wheels though. Thats pretty crazy
The following users liked this post:
IanB2 (07-19-19)
Old 07-19-19, 08:53 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MrJason
If you don’t take my comment literally... which I’m sure 99.9% of people didn’t. You’d realize I’m just stating the guy screwed up and blamed it on something other than “driver error”...

but it’s quite obvious that you are biased in some way.

I mean honestly... did you really take my comment literally?? Did you read my comment and think.. “this dude thinks a dear caused this.... what a tool”??? Lol

lighten up...
I literally didnt take it literal, but more came in defense for the driver the the vehicle since many online folks always skew the narrative by blaming this and blaming that (people on jalopnik) so I apologize if it sounds "bias"

Its nothing more than trying to help the GXOR peep.

Last edited by vwynn; 07-19-19 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-19-19, 02:34 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 752 Likes on 616 Posts

I'm thinking that the brakes should have continued working, as long as the key remained in the run position.

Something that occurred to me was that the main cable to the fusebox came off. Perhaps because of a loose battery?

Chip H.
Old 07-19-19, 03:04 PM
Rygar470
Lead Lap

Received 136 Likes on 117 Posts

Either way, It was definitely a crazy and expensive backwards ride... But, Glad everyone is okay.
Old 07-19-19, 03:25 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vwynn
I literally didnt take it literal, but more came in defense for the driver the the vehicle since many online folks always skew the narrative by blaming this and blaming that (people on jalopnik) so I apologize if it sounds "bias"

Its nothing more than trying to help the GXOR peep.

Its all good.. I’m a gxor member also... I never take offense to comments on the interwebs. Lol

i do, however, like a good “online pissing match”😂😂.. but seeing as how we are probably inn 99% agreement on most things GX related.... it wouldn’t be much of one. Cheers..