GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Towing travel trailer with 2005 GX470

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-19, 08:31 AM
Phallian
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Towing travel trailer with 2005 GX470

We just bought a 4900 lb travel trailer. Interested in people's thoughts and experiences in towing.

Some specific questions:
  1. What kind of brake controller did you use? Installation tips?
  2. Did you use sway bars?

It's our first travel trailer.

Thanks!
Old 06-06-19, 11:50 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

This has all the info you need:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/all...pe-etc.909808/
The following users liked this post:
MrJason (06-06-19)
Old 06-07-19, 01:50 PM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you may find the engine a little underpowered for that weight at freeway speeds with any inclines. Your gas mileage will consistently be below 10mpg. It will do it though something with 350-400hp would pull it like nothings there.
stryker75 (12-06-23)
Old 06-07-19, 08:24 PM
RockfordRX
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RushNatU
I think you may find the engine a little underpowered for that weight at freeway speeds with any inclines. Your gas mileage will consistently be below 10mpg. It will do it though something with 350-400hp would pull it like nothings there.
It's about torque, not HP when towing.
Just my 2 cents
The following 2 users liked this post by RockfordRX:
henfield (06-12-19), stryker75 (12-06-23)
Old 06-07-19, 09:34 PM
Phallian
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any experience with sway bars or brake controllers?

Appreciate the input, wondering specifically if anyone has experience with brake controllers or sway bars while towing with a Lexus GX470.

Thanks.
Old 06-08-19, 08:27 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by RockfordRX
It's about torque, not HP when towing.
Just my 2 cents
The torque is a huge factor in towing. You are correct. Another 100hp wouldn’t bet any gains without extra torque to go with it while towing. Unless it’s flat with no head wind the “weight in motion” factor doesn’t help that much.

The GX will have no issues pulling the amount of weight described here. And honestly... you should stay at about 13-15mpg unless you are putting the “pedal to the metal” while traveling up steep grades.

to the OP... read the thread in the link supplied on your first comment. Also go check out the GXOR Facebook page... they have quite a few posts about towing.

But everything you need to know is in the link on your first reply.
Old 06-08-19, 08:31 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

And yes... you’ll need sway links to prevent the travel trailer from swaying back and fourth.. it could get ugly with the amount of weight on a shorter wheel base like the GX.

And I would definitely install a brake controller just for added safety. Just make sure you’ve got it hooked up and set up correctly.
Phallian (06-08-19)
Old 06-08-19, 01:26 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

There are several videos for installing a brake controller on YouTube.

One thing you'll want is a wiring adapter. You should have gotten one with the vehicle (look in the rear storage cubbies) if you have the towing prep option (look for an auxiliary transmission cooler near the horns to verify this).

But if you don't have it, the part number is: 82132-60110 and it's about $40. It connects up under the dash to a connector that's been taped to the harness near the steering wheel.

Yellow wire - Brake controller output to trailer brakes
White/Black wire - ground
Green/Yellow - stop lamp switch to brake controller
Green - headlight switch
Black - fused brake controller battery feed

Chip H.
The following 3 users liked this post by chiph9:
GON2 (01-31-23), MrJason (06-09-19), Phallian (06-08-19)
Old 06-09-19, 11:28 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Chip gives good advice...

My harness was in the left side stowage area... laying next to the jack, still in the plastic package. If it is in there it could fall down in the little area behind the jack.. so make sure to look down in there with a flash light.

If your 3rd row seats are still installed... makes sure to check the bigger cubby hole behind the left rear seat... if the 3rd row is folded up... you can’t even see that cubby.
I found my plug in hitch wrapped up in my cargo net back there. I was a happy camper. Lol

Good luck.
Old 06-09-19, 03:18 PM
BHbass59
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We use our 2003 to tow an RPod trailer, fully loaded its about 3,700 lbs. We live in Colorado and deal with hills all of the time, ours does fine but you've got more weight, should be ok but wont be fast up hills. We have an E-qualizer weight distribution/sway bar hitch and it works out really well, makes the trailer track so much better than without one. Takes a little practice to get used to installing it to the trailer each time, but worth it. I don't remember what kind of controller we have, just a basic one - nothing fancy, its all we need.
The following 2 users liked this post by BHbass59:
MrJason (06-09-19), Phallian (06-09-19)
Old 06-10-19, 07:20 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by chiph9
if you have the towing prep option (look for an auxiliary transmission cooler near the horns to verify this).
All years and models of the GX have a trans cooler regardless of if they have a towing package or not so thats not a way to tell. There are a few threads on ih8mud discussing this
Old 06-12-19, 05:28 PM
henfield
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Once your truck is already set up with the Lexus tow hitch (don't use the wimpy little one) and wired for trailer. Do a number of runs on your own, unladen to start to get a feel for how it handles, accelerates and brakes. Then add weight so you learn how the combination's feel changes.
Old 06-15-19, 12:35 PM
Roadtripn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have '04 & tow 3500# 18' TT,
I use Equalizer WDH & a sway bar- if just traveling short distance at low speed, don't necessarily need sway bar-- but definitely Yes on fwy at higher speeds (but mostly bc of bigger rigs passing me fast...)

**MPG-- I don't tow over 50-55mph, for safety & best MPG, get approx 12-13 mpg tops, though with a tailwind & flat road, I once got nearly 17mpg!! ((Steep hills/curves on 190w out of Death Valley I got 11mpg))

I've been wanting to get a slightly longer TT myself, but haven't found one that has everything my smaller one has... Looking at Geo Pro 19bh

Happy Camping!!
Old 06-24-19, 10:53 AM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Hello! I have the ‘04 without KDSS.
We bought the GX to haul our three kids, a trailer and all our stuff with relative comfort. Our RV is 27’ tip to toe and has a dry weight of 4500 lbs. Maximum GVWR on the GX with tow is 12,000lbs combined with the truck. I’m sure we’ve hit that mark once or twice with all the bikes in the trailer!
I’m a bit of a research nut and so I selected the Anderson Hitch which uses chain tension rather than sway bars. I love it. I’ve towed in high winds, travelled through the Rockies and had no problem. The Anderson setup allows for a nice level ride and no messing around when backing into campsites. Also, I installed a brake controller.
Gas mileage does go down a lot but that’s because we usually don’t travel fast with overdrive engaged unless it’s downhill.
Rarely over 110km/hr.
It’s been about 4 yrs since we bought the trailer and I added some weight because of a new floor installation. About 200 lbs.
No complaints so far, but the kids are now older, have jobs in the summer and it’s getting to the point where we might not need such a big RV. Although., it is nice to have the room! Happy camping!
Old 04-07-22, 07:41 AM
CBandKids
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hows it going?

Originally Posted by MidniteGX
Hello! I have the ‘04 without KDSS.
We bought the GX to haul our three kids, a trailer and all our stuff with relative comfort. Our RV is 27’ tip to toe and has a dry weight of 4500 lbs. Maximum GVWR on the GX with tow is 12,000lbs combined with the truck. I’m sure we’ve hit that mark once or twice with all the bikes in the trailer!
I’m a bit of a research nut and so I selected the Anderson Hitch which uses chain tension rather than sway bars. I love it. I’ve towed in high winds, travelled through the Rockies and had no problem. The Anderson setup allows for a nice level ride and no messing around when backing into campsites. Also, I installed a brake controller.
Gas mileage does go down a lot but that’s because we usually don’t travel fast with overdrive engaged unless it’s downhill.
Rarely over 110km/hr.
It’s been about 4 yrs since we bought the trailer and I added some weight because of a new floor installation. About 200 lbs.
No complaints so far, but the kids are now older, have jobs in the summer and it’s getting to the point where we might not need such a big RV. Although., it is nice to have the room! Happy camping!

I was wondering in retrospect how things are going and if you have any tips or tricks when buying a trailer. We are in the market for a trailer. I was hoping for a 26/27 ft for the space and your post gave me hope. We are a family of 4 + pup. Would like to take Kayaks or bikes. How many miles have you pulled? How long would you drive per day, what conditions? Trans cooler? Trailer brake? We pack light. Anything helps. Driving tips, Loading tips, Parking tips, etc. Thanks in advance!!!!

Last edited by CBandKids; 04-07-22 at 07:44 AM. Reason: add questions

Quick Reply: Towing travel trailer with 2005 GX470