GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Replacing AC lines

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-19, 06:22 AM
mogaliciou
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacing AC lines

anyone who's replaced AC lines, is this a difficult job? there does not seem to be much documentation on how to do it on a gx470 but i've seen tutorials of it being done on an LX470, i'm assuming it's a similar process?

Also, anywhere i should look to buy them or just buy OEM directly from the stealership?
Old 06-03-19, 02:47 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

It’s because they are very simple... remove the fan and fan shroud. Then the main A/c hoses are all right there. Pays less than 1.4hrs(customer pay time) to replace all the main lines.
Old 06-03-19, 02:48 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

here is the picture
Old 06-03-19, 02:53 PM
mogaliciou
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrJason

here is the picture
What about how to replace the lines that run all the way to the back?
Old 06-03-19, 03:00 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

If you need a more clear picture. Let me know.
Old 06-03-19, 03:06 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 752 Likes on 616 Posts

They run under the vehicle -- above the frame, but below the floorpan. You can see the connection to the rear expansion unit if you look above the muffler.
No idea about the difficulty - I expect the front end near the firewall will be the challenge.

Chip H.
The following users liked this post:
MrJason (06-03-19)
Old 06-03-19, 03:52 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Here’s the pic for the rear lines.

Old 06-03-19, 04:24 PM
mogaliciou
Driver School Candidate

Here’s the pic for the rear lines.

Would you buy oem?
Old 06-04-19, 04:52 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mogaliciou
Would you buy oem?
That’s a tough question for me..

Yes(and no)... since I get parts at “cost”, the Audi/Porsche dealer I work at gives the Lexus dealer employees the same discount. That is, as long as we aren’t stealing jobs from our dealers.. you know, we can’t be buying $20k in parts a month. Lol

i mean just look at how long the factory parts last. But... if I didn’t get that deal... I’d buy Dorman or AC Delco.. some well known brand. That’s also because I wouldn’t be paying someone to do it. If you are paying a shop, it’s hard to beat that 12/12 warranty and the ability to “*****” if they diagnosis wrong or break something during the repair.

Ill look and and see who offers aftermarket versions... the I’ll compare with stock “retail” prices.

Also remember... most dealers will knock 20% off their pricing if you just talk to a part guy. I can’t promise they are all that way. But a good 80% will cut you s break if you don’t cone in acting like they are stealing from you. 👍🏻
Old 06-04-19, 04:55 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Here is your “retail” price... some dealers will charge anywhere from 20% less too “double” what Lexus sets as “retail”.

Anyone here whis worked in a parts deptartment knows what I’m talking about.. tier pricing.
Old 06-04-19, 05:33 AM
mogaliciou
Driver School Candidate

Here is your “retail” price... some dealers will charge anywhere from 20% less too “double” what Lexus sets as “retail”.

Anyone here whis worked in a parts deptartment knows what I’m talking about.. tier pricing.
Oh man! Thanks a bunch. So a few questions.

1. What’s the difference between the ones with “kinetic dynamic suspension” and that without? I tried to google but couldn’t find any info.

2. These look like only the parts for the main lines, which on my vehicle are good. The one that’s corroded and leaking are the lines that run through the bottom and go to the rear of the truck. But I can’t seem to find Any information on the two lines that run back there.
Old 06-05-19, 07:26 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 752 Likes on 616 Posts

KDSS was an option on the GX. It lets you disconnect the front sway bar for off-roading. It's not a common option because it was expensive and few people bought a GX for it's offroad capabilities.

https://www.mylparts.com/v-2004-lexu...-rear-ac-lines

You're going to have to ask your parts counter - I have no info if the one line that is still shown as being available is for a KDSS optioned vehicle. And no idea if the other line can be bought over the counter.

Chip H.
Old 06-05-19, 07:33 PM
mogaliciou
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chiph9
KDSS was an option on the GX. It lets you disconnect the front sway bar for off-roading. It's not a common option because it was expensive and few people bought a GX for it's offroad capabilities.

https://www.mylparts.com/v-2004-lexu...-rear-ac-lines

You're going to have to ask your parts counter - I have no info if the one line that is still shown as being available is for a KDSS optioned vehicle. And no idea if the other line can be bought over the counter.

Chip H.
Oh got ya. That makes sense. From what I looked i don’t see any that sell the rear lines. I might have to find the leak and put a block off kit there. Or remove the lines and have a shop refinish them.

Thank you very much for your help
Old 06-05-19, 07:56 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mogaliciou
Oh got ya. That makes sense. From what I looked i don’t see any that sell the rear lines. I might have to find the leak and put a block off kit there. Or remove the lines and have a shop refinish them.

Thank you very much for your help
Sorry... I’ve been offline a few days(the breaks from the phone and computer are nice. But I’m back now. Lol

Chip explained it well. The part about KDSS that is.
The rear lines could very well be the same on the KDSS suspension as the normal suspension... that may be why you only see the one part. A quick call to Lexus should set you on the right path. Parts don’t tend to go “NLA” until after the 15 year mark.... which is getting close if you own a 2004.

But ill I’ll get back to looking.
Old 06-05-19, 08:32 PM
mogaliciou
Driver School Candidate

Sorry... I’ve been offline a few days(the breaks from the phone and computer are nice. But I’m back now. Lol

Chip explained it well. The part about KDSS that is.
The rear lines could very well be the same on the KDSS suspension as the normal suspension... that may be why you only see the one part. A quick call to Lexus should set you on the right path. Parts don’t tend to go “NLA” until after the 15 year mark.... which is getting close if you own a 2004.

But ill I’ll get back to looking.
Haha. A break is always good.

I don’t even see the lines that go to the back available for purchase, with or without KDSS. I’ll call the dealership tomorrow to check for availability.

But im guessing the other option is putting the block kit in before the place the leak takes place. The only downside with that is there won’t be AC coming from the rear - which probably isn’t too big of a deal. Ah. Wish there was a video on this. I guess I’ll have to make one when I do this.
The following users liked this post:
MrJason (06-06-19)

Quick Reply: Replacing AC lines