GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New owner of 2004 GX470. Please, help the newbie!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-19, 07:34 AM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts
Default New owner of 2004 GX470. Please, help the newbie!

Hello everyone,

I bought 2004 GX 470 with 165k miles.
I have a few questions and decided to put them all together in one thread instead of opening several of them. I hope this forum will help me.

1) Tires. Current tires - 265/65/17 Goodyear. I want to replace them with new tires. Is this the right tire size I should look for on stock wheels? Any recommendations on the brand and type of tires to get? I want all season as I don't want to change tires when winter or summer comes. I'm in Indiana and it snows here a lot. Quiet, reliable, comfortable, smooth with a good grip, capable to do off-roading if needs to, although I'm not gonna do it often. Kind of all in one. But not too expensive of course.

2) Does 2004 model have a timing belt or a chain? It was serviced a toyota all the time, but I did not find a mark for when the timing belt was changed. Normally they put a mark somewhere under the hood, right?

3) Headlights/fog. Stock is projector or reflector? If projector, would you advise what is better LED or HID kit? I don't want them to be white as the white is not good when it rains. I want them to be stock yellow color but brighter then halogen. I prefer LED, but any suggestions will be appreciated. The very simple plug&play.

4) Audio system and BT streaming. The stock has NAV. Is there any good kit to install for BT audio streaming, without replacing a head unit etc. Something better then the kit that connects to a radio channel, I think it does not have a good sound quality. Is there a magic kit?)

5) If I write separate threads on my questions, will I get a better response?

Thank you very much! I really need your help. I'm a complete newbie.
The following users liked this post:
Rygar470 (05-22-19)
Old 05-20-19, 08:07 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

1. Yes thats the right size tire. Do a search on tire rack. There are a lot of tire reviews on there. If you go with a more aggressive offroad tire they will be noiser than any mainly on road tire. How much comfort and noise you're willing to sacrifice is up to personal preference
  2. Timing belt. All years of GX470 have the same engine. Make sure you replace the tensioner and water pump when the timing belt is done. If it hasn't been done yet get it done as its long overdue. I don't think the 03 or 04 had an interference engine so no engine damage if the belt snaps but you'll be stranded for sure.
  3. Stock projectors for low and high beam on this car but they are halogen. HID is brighter than LED currently but more work to retrofit. If you're looking for easy go LED.
  4. Look up beatsonic and they will offer a kit. You will lose your CD changer if you go this route for any product. If you have nav you won't be able to replace your head unit easily. Beatsonic offers a solution to plug in to allow this but it add cost. This has been covered so try to search for it.
  5. One thread is better. More threads = more confusing
Rygar470 (05-22-19)
Old 05-20-19, 08:25 AM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Thank you very much! I'm not gonna use a CD changer anyways by tensioner you mean a serpentine belt?

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
  1. Yes thats the right size tire. Do a search on tire rack. There are a lot of tire reviews on there. If you go with a more aggressive offroad tire they will be noiser than any mainly on road tire. How much comfort and noise you're willing to sacrifice is up to personal preference
  2. Timing belt. All years of GX470 have the same engine. Make sure you replace the tensioner and water pump when the timing belt is done. If it hasn't been done yet get it done as its long overdue. I don't think the 03 or 04 had an interference engine so no engine damage if the belt snaps but you'll be stranded for sure.
  3. Stock projectors for low and high beam on this car but they are halogen. HID is brighter than LED currently but more work to retrofit. If you're looking for easy go LED.
  4. Look up beatsonic and they will offer a kit. You will lose your CD changer if you go this route for any product. If you have nav you won't be able to replace your head unit easily. Beatsonic offers a solution to plug in to allow this but it add cost. This has been covered so try to search for it.
  5. One thread is better. More threads = more confusing
Old 05-20-19, 08:50 AM
captainva
Instructor

No there is a hydraulic tensioner for the timing belt. Replace that since if it goes bad you have to do another timing belt job to replace it. Also a good time to replace the thermostat since its halfway apart when the water pump is removed.
Old 05-20-19, 09:47 AM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
No there is a hydraulic tensioner for the timing belt. Replace that since if it goes bad you have to do another timing belt job to replace it. Also a good time to replace the thermostat since its halfway apart when the water pump is removed.
I see, thank you. Will look into that.
Old 05-20-19, 07:06 PM
RockfordRX
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Lextazy,
congrats with a new purchase! You are not an owner of the most legendary vehicles on Earth!
I would recommend Michelin Defender LTX tires. They cost around $800 for a set installed (when on sale and after all the rebates). I've had Goodyears and Bridgestone Duellers in the past, but those are very mediocre. I have heard good things about Cooper and Kumho tires, they are much cheaper and the ride quality rivals the one of Michelins. Michelin offers the highest mileage warranty (up to 80k miles).

Enjoy your new vehicle!!!

Max
Old 05-20-19, 08:20 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

On your number 4 question... go on amazon and by the “Yatour” Bluetooth media for Lexus GX470.. the device plugs in where your cd changer goes.. but you can get a y-adapter switch if you’d like to keep the cd changer. It’s $75 and $20 for the switch.

I love the sound it reproduces... I was amazed that pandora sounded better than a cd.

But its its a quick install and gives you calls, streaming, aux input, and usb. Just change the disk number to switch between the wireless, aux, or usb.
SthwsGX470 (10-12-21)
Old 05-21-19, 06:05 AM
captainva
Instructor

Originally Posted by RockfordRX
Lextazy,
congrats with a new purchase! You are not an owner of the most legendary vehicles on Earth!
I would recommend Michelin Defender LTX tires. They cost around $800 for a set installed (when on sale and after all the rebates). I've had Goodyears and Bridgestone Duellers in the past, but those are very mediocre. I have heard good things about Cooper and Kumho tires, they are much cheaper and the ride quality rivals the one of Michelins. Michelin offers the highest mileage warranty (up to 80k miles).

Max
I have Cooper Discoverer AT3s that the previous owner put on the car. I wouldn't get them again since he had them balanced 3 times and they still vibrate on the highway...
Old 05-21-19, 07:25 AM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RockfordRX
Lextazy,

Max
Thank you Max!
Old 05-21-19, 07:26 AM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MrJason
On your number 4 question... go on amazon and by the “Yatour” Bluetooth media for Lexus GX470.. the device plugs in where your cd changer goes.. but you can get a y-adapter switch if you’d like to keep the cd changer. It’s $75 and $20 for the switch.

I love the sound it reproduces... I was amazed that pandora sounded better than a cd.

But its its a quick install and gives you calls, streaming, aux input, and usb. Just change the disk number to switch between the wireless, aux, or usb.
Thank you! I'll check that. Was looking for an easy option without changing my head unit.
MrJason (05-21-19)
Old 05-21-19, 07:29 AM
Lextazy
Pole Position

1) I'm planning to get Michelin Defender LTX 70k warranty. Hard to find though. Even at Costco not in stock but I can order it and then wait till they get them. $810-$820 installed. Fair price, right?
Old 05-21-19, 08:46 AM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MrJason

Do you by any chance have a link on how to install the "Yatour" BT media on GX470, please?
Old 05-21-19, 04:12 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextazy
Do you by any chance have a link on how to install the "Yatour" BT media on GX470, please?
Remove the radio panel... unplug the cd changer... plug in the Yatour BT media and mount it wherever. It’s only about an 1&1/2” x 1&1/2” in size.

I had had mine in the glove box but moved it behind the right wood grain panel since I don’t use the inputs.

Ive seen people remove the cassette player from the radio and mount the box their with the inputs where you’d put the cassette tape.... looked cool.
Old 05-21-19, 06:18 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextazy
1) I'm planning to get Michelin Defender LTX 70k warranty. Hard to find though. Even at Costco not in stock but I can order it and then wait till they get them. $810-$820 installed. Fair price, right?
Price sounds right with mounting and balancing...not sure what the difference is but Michelin brands their tires differently for the big box stores like Costco...
Old 05-21-19, 07:26 PM
RockfordRX
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Lextazy,
make sure you check your TPMS batteries. It is likely they are at the end of their life, unless they were replaced in the last few years by a previous owner. It may be a good idea to replace them while they mount new tires on the rims so you can save on demounting/mounting of the tires when each sensor goes bad. They are about $90 each from Lexus. Or you may just bypass/disable TPMS function - some users on this forum have a writeup for that procedure. Just a thought. I had to replace one of the sensors when I was getting tires mounted at Sam's club during after Thanksgiving sale - the tech broke one of the sensors, so they mounted a new one. A week after one of the other sensors went bad, so now I have my TPMS light on. At least I have 4 more to replace (including a spare tire), not 5. I may do this next time I need to balance the tires.

Quick Reply: New owner of 2004 GX470. Please, help the newbie!