GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

SAIS bypass kit - NY state inspection

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-19, 05:07 AM
gshort
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default SAIS bypass kit - NY state inspection

Has anyone installed the Hewitt Tech SAIS bypass kit and passed NY state inspection?
Old 03-12-19, 12:29 PM
campfire
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

No, but FYI, kits on eBay for $199
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-4-7L-Air-Induction-Pump-Bypass-Kit-Exhaust-Port-Plates-NO-CUTTING/162582156626
Old 03-12-19, 02:22 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by gshort
Has anyone installed the Hewitt Tech SAIS bypass kit and passed NY state inspection?

I put this kit on a 2005 4Runner limited over a year ago... took 15min and all readiness codes set fine. This kit is better than the eBay kits... you can leave the ignition on for a while and then start it.. the secondary air pump will never turn on again.
It is my mothers car and you’d never know the kit was even on it.
The following users liked this post:
HewittTech (03-13-19)
Old 03-15-19, 05:56 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

SAIS only runs for few seconds at start up. The Bypass turns it off completely. It will not affect your emissions in any way after initial start up.
Old 03-15-19, 09:22 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NTH
SAIS only runs for few seconds at start up. The Bypass turns it off completely. It will not affect your emissions in any way after initial start up.

you are correct. But the kits on eBay require you start the car immediately. If you like to sit and listen to the radio or whatever. The cheap kits will not work. You need that stater relay signal. That way it will never run the secondary air system again.

There’s also a difference between turning the check engine light off and having all the readiness codes set.

When end you take it for an inspection and the computer reads that there are no codes but there is still one readiness code not set.... they will manually activate it. This will show that the secondary system isn’t working... and you will fail, even without a check engine light.
Old 03-15-19, 12:36 PM
gshort
Driver School Candidate

So you're saying if I install the bypass kit by Hewitt, I will fail my inspection?
Old 03-15-19, 12:37 PM
gshort
Driver School Candidate

I'm hoping to find someone in NY that has had experience here to tell me what happened.
Old 03-16-19, 05:34 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

So you're saying if I install the bypass kit by Hewitt, I will fail my inspection?
Read my earlier post again. You will not fail. I know because I have the Hewitt-Tech kit.
Old 03-16-19, 06:17 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

no... I’m saying you will never fail for the SAIS system with that kit. I’ve seen the 4.7L fail emissions with the cheap kits. Because the readiness code would not stay set even though the check engine light wasn’t on.

In short... you get what you pay for.
Old 03-21-19, 08:46 AM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Not sure how to interpret the last sentence about readiness code

Originally Posted by MrJason

no... I’m saying you will never fail for the SAIS system with that kit. I’ve seen the 4.7L fail emissions with the cheap kits. Because the readiness code would not stay set even though the check engine light wasn’t on.

In short... you get what you pay for.
I am having some trouble interpreting you last sentence. Could you expand on the readiness code statement? Thanks, Al
Old 03-23-19, 08:58 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aljodoro
I am having some trouble interpreting you last sentence. Could you expand on the readiness code statement? Thanks, Al

when a a state inspection sticker requires the vehicle to pass emission testing the new technology no longer requires a “sniffer” in the tail pipe.
Its simply a series of 1’s or 0’s.... pass or fail is the meaning. So as long as all of your readiness codes “pass”.. you “pass”.

Long story short. Buy the Hewitt SAIS bypass. You can’t go wrong with their plug and play system.
Old 03-24-19, 09:08 AM
aljodoro
Driver

Thanks for the response. Here in Washington we used to have the sniffer and now it is just a hookup to the OBD11. Thanks again. ,
Old 03-25-19, 06:36 AM
gshort
Driver School Candidate

Hewitt bypass installed. codes gone. dash lights gone. Warning to those that are a rookie like me - the exhaust plates that need to be installed.... the location is on the back of the engine towards the firewall. if you have bigger hands like me, it's a major ***** to get these in. there is zero room to work. you have to have eyeballs on your fingers to get this done.
Old 03-26-19, 04:51 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Luckily they cut grooves in the plates... that way you can loosen the connections and slide them in.

Good job though.
Old 03-27-19, 08:55 AM
aljodoro
Driver

Default Did you go through fender well

Hewitt bypass installed. codes gone. dash lights gone. Warning to those that are a rookie like me - the exhaust plates that need to be installed.... the location is on the back of the engine towards the firewall. if you have bigger hands like me, it's a major ***** to get these in. there is zero room to work. you have to have eyeballs on your fingers to get this done.
In looking at the Hewitt site it looks that they recommend going through the fender well. Did you do that? Also, are there any tools you would recommend to make it easier?

Quick Reply: SAIS bypass kit - NY state inspection