GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

My LED foglight upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-19, 10:54 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

No problem.
There are so many choices.. and it ducks to make the wrong ones(I’ve made several).. it’s like flushing money down the drain.

Just let let me know if you need anything else.
The following users liked this post:
Lextazy (06-11-19)
Old 06-11-19, 12:19 PM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by MrJason
No problem.
There are so many choices.. and it ducks to make the wrong ones(I’ve made several).. it’s like flushing money down the drain.

Just let let me know if you need anything else.
Yeah, a lot of choices. And I don't trust google reviews or even youtube. Hence, trying to search in forums for honest reviews.
Old 06-11-19, 04:39 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lextazy
Yeah, a lot of choices. And I don't trust google reviews or even youtube. Hence, trying to search in forums for honest reviews.
You can’t trust amazon reviews anymore. I get so much free stuff just for posting a 5 star review...

I’ve made a killing on backup camera installs from one company in particular. They send me a kit with a camera(license plate bracket style), harness, and small wide screen monitor that lists for $69.99.
Every time you get one... you get a card for a free trial of another one.. lol
ive gotten 7 of them sent to me for 1 penny each... they give you a code that knocks the price down to a penny, that way you are considered a “verified purchaser”... they are actually very well built cameras and screens.

I charge $300-$450 per install(including parts), the price depended on the difficulty of the install/type of vehicle.

There should be another camera kit in in the mail today. I love easy money. Lol

but that’s also why you can’t trust the reviews.
Old 06-12-19, 07:57 AM
Lextazy
Pole Position

You can’t trust amazon reviews anymore. I get so much free stuff just for posting a 5 star review...

I’ve made a killing on backup camera installs from one company in particular. They send me a kit with a camera(license plate bracket style), harness, and small wide screen monitor that lists for $69.99.
Every time you get one... you get a card for a free trial of another one.. lol
ive gotten 7 of them sent to me for 1 penny each... they give you a code that knocks the price down to a penny, that way you are considered a “verified purchaser”... they are actually very well built cameras and screens.

I charge $300-$450 per install(including parts), the price depended on the difficulty of the install/type of vehicle.

There should be another camera kit in in the mail today. I love easy money. Lol

but that’s also why you can’t trust the reviews.
Thanks for letting us know Good job. Poor people who trust amazon reviews. You never know if it's a true or a made up review It's hard to tell.
Old 06-12-19, 08:18 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Thanks for letting us know Good job. Poor people who trust amazon reviews. You never know if it's a true or a made up review It's hard to tell.

Thats true... but you can generally trust reviews when they have over 1,000 verified reviews. It’s the ones that are 5 stars(or close) with only 35 or 40 reviews.
I’ve also seen some very good products with a 1 star overall review because 3 people didn’t know what they were buying.

So so it goes both ways.
Lextazy (06-12-19)
Old 06-21-19, 09:59 AM
Lextazy
Pole Position

I bought these from amazon.. they are very bright and have a great pattern for the GX470 projector style headlamp lenses.

H11/H8/H9 LED Headlight Bulbs 1:1 Design Low Beam/Fog light with Fan, SEALIGHT S2 Series Upgraded CSP Chips 7600LM 6000K Xenon white IP67-2 Year Warranty (2 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HCZ7RZ6..._rZB.CbK2532Z3

Just click the gray box and change it to 9005 for high beams. These have been great and through lots of water... easy fitment too.
MrJason,

They have a new version of the LEDs
Amazon Amazon
It says that it is brighter. But... The previous version was of the size the same as the halogens(1:1 it says). And it doesn't say anything about that in the new model. It's $20 more for the new one.

Do you think it might not be as good as the old one in our halogen projectors? One guy posted a picture on amazon of the old one and the new one but from that picture I can't compare the real size.

Thank you.
Old 06-22-19, 02:50 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

MrJason,

They have a new version of the LEDs https://www.amazon.com/headlight-bul..._ob_title_auto
It says that it is brighter. But... The previous version was of the size the same as the halogens(1:1 it says). And it doesn't say anything about that in the new model. It's $20 more for the new one.

Do you think it might not be as good as the old one in our halogen projectors? One guy posted a picture on amazon of the old one and the new one but from that picture I can't compare the real size.

Thank you.

Id purchase those. But I’m not sure about the lumens. It claims 12000... but that’s per pair. The old versions say 7600 per pair now... but i’m positive it was higher rated when I purchased them. They should fit.

Id order now while they are on the “Lightning deal”($10 off)...

if they font fit... just send them back and mark “not as described” for a reason. Then order the older generation.
Old 06-22-19, 02:59 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Here’s a set with 10000 lumens for $46... not a bad deal at all. But I have never used this brand.

Old 06-22-19, 03:01 PM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Id purchase those. But I’m not sure about the lumens. It claims 12000... but that’s per pair. The old versions say 7600 per pair now... but i’m positive it was higher rated when I purchased them. They should fit.

if they font fit... just send them back and mark “not as described” for a reason. Then order the older generation.
That's wise. Thank you. Will order now and see how it works.
Old 06-22-19, 03:21 PM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Here’s a set with 10000 lumens for $46... not a bad deal at all. But I have never used this brand.

I'd rather use the brand I know something about))
Thank you.
Old 06-22-19, 04:16 PM
Lextazy
Pole Position

The only thing I'm worrying about is if the new version was not made for a halogen projector housing but for LED projector housing. Then it might be even worse than the previous model in halogen projector.
Old 06-24-19, 09:29 AM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Guys,

Would you advise on good halogen fog light bulbs, please?
I don't want LEDs in my fogs as I want them to work properly in bad weather. Safety first! That's why I'm looking for a halogen bulb.
Yellow is the best for fogs, right? I have a clear housing, so I guess I will need a yellow bulb.
I've heard that Piaa and Hella are good. Which one is better? Or, is there anything else better?

Thank you.
IanB2 (06-24-19)
Old 06-25-19, 06:19 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Guys,

Would you advise on good halogen fog light bulbs, please?
I don't want LEDs in my fogs as I want them to work properly in bad weather. Safety first! That's why I'm looking for a halogen bulb.
Yellow is the best for fogs, right? I have a clear housing, so I guess I will need a yellow bulb.
I've heard that Piaa and Hella are good. Which one is better? Or, is there anything else better?

Thank you.

Sylvania ZXE... or their new chrome bulbs that use some new type of filament and coating to produce the brightest halogen ever.
I think they are the “XD” design or something. But they are expensive. Just the amber blinker bulbs(3157) are $40 a pair.
Old 06-25-19, 08:13 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Here are some options for halogen. The PIAA are by far the brights halogen bulbs.

Lextazy (06-26-19)
Old 06-26-19, 07:38 AM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Here are some options for halogen. The PIAA are by far the brights halogen bulbs.

Thank you. Will probably go with Sylvania. It's half a price of the PIAA. And both will last for a year or so. I wish there was a good LED for fogs. They last a long time...

Quick Reply: My LED foglight upgrade